1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suns make commemorative Gerald Green foam hands with 4.5 fingers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by CJLarson, Jan 13, 2015.

1. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/pag...ald-green-foam-hands-45-fingers?ex_cid=espnFB
    Gerald Green throws down crazy dunks. Gerald Green drains wild, off-balance 3-pointers.

Gerald Green also only has four and a half fingers on his right hand, after -- warning to the squeamish -- an accident while dunking on a makeshift basket in sixth grade cost him part of his ring finger.

Green is admittedly self-conscious about his hand -- even trying to hide it from David Stern on draft night -- but he now uses his story to speak out against bullying.

Now the Phoenix Suns, clearly with Green's blessing, are celebrating their former Slam Dunk Contest-winning swingman's uniqueness with these foam fingers, which go on sale Tuesday for $12 in the team shop.

Well done, Suns. That deserves a high-four-point-five.

Am I the only one who was unaware of his finger?

2. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

check out marion's finger (i think it's the pinky) that he never got fixed.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

meh, Oden has three legs.

1 person likes this.
  4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

5. archinkent

archinkent Member

Only knew cuz they won't stop mentioning it when he was in the dunk contest. He also has a Houston tattoo IIRC.

6. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

I can't recall hearing that. I remember that contest very well too. Must have had music playing to drown out those announcers. I know he went to Gulf Shores Academy, drafted by the Celtics and even had a brief stint with us. Never did I hear about this. Strange.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Damn never noticed that, I'd would of thought that type of thing would totally **** up trying to dunk, or even dribble. Guess not.

8. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

This! I would buy it just to have a foam shocker

9. i3artow i3aller

Story changed a little since he was with i3oston. Heard he was very young and jumping whilst trying to slap the door head. GG ended up slapping an exposed nail and landed without 1/2 his ring finger. Props to him for still having a wet jumper, although all that really takes is proper placement of the thumb and pointer finger.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

When I was a teenager, I attempted a dunk on a goal with a chain net and my ring got caught on one of the links. The ring broke after hanging for a second, which was pretty lucky.

A guy I grew up with playing ball who was a whole lot better than me lost his thumb on his dominant hand in a workplace accident. He adjusted and was still a whole lot better than me. He's also a good bowler, and he had his bowling ball drilled with only 2 holes, which freaks people out. On the flipside, he can't shuffle cards well or use scissors, but it's impressive to see how readily people can compensate for these losses.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He won a slam dunk contest, and even played here (briefly)...how in the hell did I not know this?

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He had a short stint with us, and the Rockets announcers mentioned it.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I've known this since he was drafted, but back then I was told he was trying to dunk on a toy goal and somehow lost a finger.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

I think his finger got caught on metal or something, and the finger had to be amputated.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Looks like they didn't even need to cut a new mold, rather only needed to change the finger outlines. Sorry GG, they didn't really go outta their way.

[​IMG]

16. PhiSlammaJamma

Soon to be followed by a 4.5 fingered cabbage patch doll for all of the kids in Pheonix with 4.5 fingers on one and.

All of that said, and I do not mean to pry, but you don't by any chance happen to have six fingers on your right hand do you?

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Look alike. :grin:

18. bongman

bongman Member

OKC and Rockets planning to do this with Dorsey and Ibaka's limbs too...

[​IMG]

19. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

[​IMG]