1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stupid Government Regulations Increasing Costs to Customers (AGAIN)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocketman1981, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

More silly government regulations that add costs to business and can open a bonanza for lawsuits based on people trying to run a good small business.

Its also interesting how Calories is the emphasis and not the composition of what is being eaten. Eating a lean steak may have the same calories as a bag of cheetos, coke and candy bar but it is far from the same affect on a body. Like the food pyramid when Government enters our lives and tries to dictate how people live the results are usually quite poor.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...ces-differently-than-his-own-fda-commissioner

On pizza regulations, Trump slices differently than his own FDA commissioner
    by Jim Gerety
    | April 24, 2018 12:00 AM

As the owner of 18 Domino’s stores in Texas, I do not cut corners, whether on pizzas or complying with the law. Unfortunately, on May 7 the law will become especially burdensome and unhelpful to my customers. That day, President Trump’s FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb will implement a nationwide, Obama-era menu-labeling rule requiring restaurants with 20 or more locations to post in-store menu boards listing the calories of every item sold.

I fully support efforts to ensure consumers have access to nutritional information, and my customers deserve accurate information delivered to them at the point of sale. I would not have lasted 36 years in this industry and succeeded as a Domino’s franchisee over the past 20 if I were working against the interests of my customers. At the same time, small business owners like me deserve a fair accounting of the rule’s costs. But the rule as codified by Gottlieb fails on both counts, and Trump must direct Gottlieb to fix the rule before it goes into effect.

First, the rule fails to account for how my customers actually order pizza in the real world out here in West Texas. Unlike other food establishments that have static menu options, pizza is highly variable: Domino’s offers consumers 34 million different combinations of pizza.

Can you imagine yourself in a small store in Midland or Odessa, Texas, plastered with menu boards, trying to calculate all of these possible combinations?

In addition, Domino’s customers do 90 percent of their ordering remotely — either online (Web and app) or by phone. I estimate that I will have to spend approximately $5,000 annually per store to put up compliant menu boards. I’m talking possibly $90,000 to invest in signage that less than 10 percent of my customers actually will see, and less than that actually will use.

Second, the costs of the rule to my employees and me could be excessive, with the greatest beneficiaries of these costs being trial lawyers. This is because Gottlieb’s rule exposes my employees and me to civil and criminal penalties of up to one year in prison and/or a $100,000 fine for inadvertent violations.

That means if one of us accidentally tops a pizza with too much pepperoni or cheese, or is a little heavy-handed with the tomato sauce on a given day, we could be headed to prison.

I know many supporters of the rule would argue that’s an outrageous claim, but FDA has offered no information or clarity except: “Trust us.”

So, what’s a sensible solution that works for both small businesses and consumers?

Domino’s came up with an initial answer more than a decade ago by providing an online tool, the Cal-O-Meter, that allows consumers to calculate the calories in a pizza, accounting for factors like the crust type, number of toppings, and sauce. While this useful application is provided to consumers at the point of purchase and fulfills the intent of the law, FDA for years has said that an online menu accessed by consumers on their smartphones, tablets, and computers won’t meet the Obama administration’s standard (which the agency apparently is keeping under Trump).

Last November, Gottlieb issued new guidance on the rule that he claimed would make things clear. Unfortunately, it only made things more convoluted.

Now my employees and I need Trump to weigh in. He needs to direct the FDA to give us the flexibility to use 21st century technology to provide our customers with accurate nutritional information, right at their fingertips. The Common Sense Nutrition Disclosure Act, which overwhelmingly passed the House twice, both last year and earlier this year, enjoys broad, bipartisan support and should be the basis for FDA action.

I was pleased when the Trump administration delayed implementation of this rule last May because it seemed to understand, and signaled it wanted to think through, the complexities this one-size-fits-all solution poses to businesses like mine.

Now, I am disappointed. In the name of expediency, Gottlieb is working at cross-purposes with Trump’s efforts to unshackle Main Street from the burdens of unnecessary, outmoded, and counterproductive regulations.

President Trump has the power to stop his FDA and Commissioner Gottlieb from going over the regulatory cliff. Millions of small businesses that drive our economy every day are watching and waiting.

Jim Gerety is the chairman of the Domino’s Franchisee Association. He owns 18 Domino’s stores in Texas.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I also have some lobbyist articles. Would this be a good place to put them?

Nook and B-Bob like this.
  3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Since fast food restaurants started posting calorie information, it has greatly changed my eating habits. It is great for our fat ass country.

If it cost him $5K per year to provide accurate information per restaurant, he is a terrible businessman who throws away money.

Nook, Invisible Fan, Rashmon and 6 others like this.
  4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Burdensome regulations that inform the public on what crap goes into fast food. :rolleyes:

edwardc and justtxyank like this.
  5. Major

Major Member

1. If he has 20 locations, I wouldn't call him a "small business owner".
    2. If he has to spend $5,000 for menu boards, he needs to find a new printing service. And why is he having to spend that annually ... unless he keeps changing his menu, in which case he's re-printing them anyway.
    3. Why the hell does he think his store in Midland needs to calculate 34 million different combinations of calories? Does his menu feature all 34 million options?

Either this guy is a moron or he has an agenda and doesn't actually care about facts. That's typical of the OP posts, though, so not terribly surprising. Larger companies around the nation complained about this in the past too. Then they implemented it, and not surprisingly, it turned out not to be a big deal.

justtxyank and FranchiseBlade like this.
  6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The irony is he seems to be for more regulation regarding the actual contents of the food, since that is what really matters. Just a question of does he believe those unhealthy ingredients need better disclosure or to be banned altogether.

7. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

I think what you fail to understand is the continued presence of more and more rules controlling facets of business and now exposing them to roving trial lawyers increases costs and burdens which in turn raises prices to consumers.

So if you are ok with the waterfall of regulatory rules that make everything from food, to gas to clothing more expensive at the expense of the poorest of people that is your problem.

Its also asinine as the government has never shown their ability to be forward thinking. Calorie counts are not the issue, the types of food is.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fc/63/66/fc6366aeaf8dbccb9c78f21fb464d40a.jpg

Silly governmental overreach into what is healthy caused the huge fad in LOW FAT diets as people wanted to follow the government food
    pyramid. Low fat foods include colas skittles and a diet of complex carbohydrates.

Looking at calories as the end all barometer of health is terrible and it also increases costs and liability to businesses so raises the prices
    on the poorest of consumers.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The truth here is probably their pizza calories are way up there and the ceo is scared that it will have a major impact on his sales when that info becomes readily available to consumers. Anti regulation is more an excuse here than anything. Fact chk me and call me wrong..

For what it’s worth, I think calories counting is both way too simplistic and not the primary concern for a “healthy” diet.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

There are some bad regulation that have a burdensome cost..

But this doesn’t pass the smell this. It doesn’t cost $5k per year per store as the ceo claimed.

I have been to a few fast food places in the past year. Almost all of them have large electronic signage display (tv). Should be a fixed one time cost with a small maintenance fee to put up some textual info on an electronic screen.

10. Major

Major Member

No, I know the costs. I own and have owned several small businesses. I know there are very problematic and ill-designed regulations out there. I also know business owners that cry foul over nonsense - and this is one of them.

If you (or this guy) want to make a facts-based argument against regulation, I'm all for it. But the stuff that he spouted is total nonsense that doesn't remotely pass the smell test. You seem to repeatedly post this kind of stuff, which tells me you either don't know anything about business or are more interested in posting propaganda as well hoping that no one calls you out on it.

For starters, if he has just 20 locations, he likely has at least 200 FTE's - meaning an annual payroll over $6MM and likely annual sales well over $20MM. Ignoring the fact that he tries to claim he's a small business, even if he wants to moronically spend $90k per year on menu boards for no reason, it wouldn't increase costs to his consumers by any noticeable amount. If he's smart and actually knows how to print things at reasonable prices, it would be even more negligible.

Calorie counts are not too helpful when comparing different *types* of food. But when debating Pizza A vs Pizza B vs Pizza C, it can be fairly helpful. We've seen that across the board when these regulations have changed consumer behavior in the past - it tells us that consumers are making different decisions when presented with additional information.

Dayop, leroy, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's the reason they are against it - because it means people will order less if they see the caloric content of their food.

Restaurants in NYC have been doing this for years. They don't know what you want in your food, so they put a range from top to bottom - chipotle does this. I doubt it costs them $5k/restaurant to do that. McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's - they all do it.

Do people order less because of it? I'm sure, but I don't understand why this guy wants to deny people information so they will make more money (let's call out his BS here). And now you have this OP supporting this because he wants business to keep secrets so people will order more unhealthy food instead of empowering them with info.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I think you fail to understand how business hurts the public without rules controlling their behavior. It's like you don't know anything about history. Like nothing, zip.

13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I understand the trepidation some have with "mainstream media" but when you only get "news" from propagandistic ideological backwater fever swamps you are an idiot.

mdrowe00, justtxyank and leroy like this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

So this guy is saying that customers aren't ignorant enough and gives opinions to people ignorant enough to take him seriously?

15. Anticope

Anticope Member

This position that any and all government regulations are horrible/evil and kill small businesses is a pretty poisonous mindset that seems to have really taken hold in the Republican party in recent years. It's very similar to the way that they seem to view taxes and the overall government in general as well. There definitely are regulatory practices that have detrimental impacts on business environments, I see it a lot in local governments that I do work in (Austin is a great example of this), but there are also a lot of regulations that are practical and make sense but there seems to be no nuance in evaluating these kinds of things from people like the OP. In fact, I bet the OP is exactly the type of person who thinks that governments shouldn't even be regulating things like drinking water quality, as ridiculous as that sounds.

Nook, Rashmon and Buck Turgidson like this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If you upgrade from cardboard sign to a cutting edge electronics display system due to a burdensome compliance regime, 5k adds up fast. :(

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I’m pretty sure they already have digital signage. If not, they should be there for other reasons.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I just chuckled at this:

"That day, President Trump’s FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb will implement a nationwide, Obama-era menu-labeling rule requiring restaurants with 20 or more locations to post in-store menu boards listing the calories of every item sold."

THOUGHT TRUMP implemented .. . .they trying to find a way to blame Obama for it

Rocket River

justtxyank and edwardc like this.
  19. edwardc

edwardc Member

So sad they still want to blame everything on President Obama.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What do you expect, Obama took away everyone’s guns.