1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[study] Acid is good for depression

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CCorn, Nov 27, 2018.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

Good news everyone!

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/article/ptsd-drug-treatment

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

It seems you dropped so much acid that you didn’t realize you were posting a 2 year old article.

Though I have heard that microdosing LSD can be effective for a whole host of various conditions. Would love to learn more about it.

4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

hallucinogens are the next great breakthrough in mental health treatment, this much i am certain. now that they're actually being studied after years and years of being stigmatized, researchers are discovering tremendous results in treating depression, anxiety, ptsd, etc.

i'm a big believer in microdosing psilocybin.

whiskeyred, Sadat X and Harrisment like this.
  5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I read a recent article about shrooms being good for depression. Its all about the psilocybin...

whiskeyred and Harrisment like this.
  6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

The one time I did shrooms I didn’t take quite enough and was stuck in a weird limbo state, which was not enjoyable. How much is considered a microdose? How often do you dose?

I am a Donut likes this.
  7. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

yup. psilocybin, mdma, ketamine. all being used for depression and anxiety treatment. i have a friend who has gone through the ketamine treatment for his depression, and he said it's helped so much more than any antidepressant ever has.

CCity Zero and Harrisment like this.
  8. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

Microdose is considered less than 1/10th of a standard dose. You aim for the maximum dose in which you don’t feel “high” or impaired. With dried shrooms it’s typicaly in a range of 50-200mg. Most people do some version of the Fadiman protocol, which is dosing twice per week. The idea is to take two days off between doses to avoid building tolerance (and there is some carry-over effect, anyhow). It’s gong to be fascinating to see what researchers discover as more studies are done.

SWTsig and Harrisment like this.
  9. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Can attest to it. I don't think that in regular sized doses it's a permanent or long term fix, but it works for 4-6 months. The catch is that you have to do it alone in a peaceful place and stick to that plan at least for the first few hours. The problem with that I've discovered is that many people are shockingly terrified with the thoughts and memories their mind could make them face - and in a way that is indistinguishable from "reality".

At the same time, it's very important to note that while it is a largely harmless drug when taken in correct doses, people with a history of or genetic predisposition to psychological issues CAN temporarily or permanently transform themselves for the worst by misusing it or combining it with other substances. Do your homework, don't be reckless.

#9 Mathloom, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I want to say trials on MDMA they're still not finding the results they were looking for/wanting (the trials I'm mentioning were for PTSD, but haven't seen/read on depression). With that said, ketamine could prove to work for depression for a lot of people (especially for those where antidepressants failed), at least from some of the early reports. Regardless glad it's working for your friend.

fallenphoenix likes this.
  11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'm curious about the drug interaction with prescription meds. A lot of people are going to read about this, try something and maybe have a bad reaction.

12. CCorn

CCorn Member

I was upset with my boss so I took 4 hits, now I think I’m a jar of apple sauce.

13. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

My brother (Afghanistan veteran) is involved in the MDMA study and says the results are working wonders for him.

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

That's really great to hear, glad it's working for him.

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

My own research in the 70's and 80's corroborates these more current studies.

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Hmm...so you're telling me I can take hallucinogenic mushrooms and feel better after being diagnosed with a life threatening illness? That's groundbreaking stuff considering the last thing on your mind when your tripping is what your problems are. Don't most people take drugs to relax and forget about their problems? I think so.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Same here, except mine goes back to 1960's. So why am I depressed about the performance of our heros on the basketball court? Do I have to return to the life I led decades ago to find relief? What a world.

18. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

psychedelics tend to bring any issues you are dealing with to the surface. that's how people get bad trips. of course, with this therapy you would have a trained therapist guiding your trip.

CCity Zero likes this.
  19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Would be an interesting experience for sure doing it in a clinical setting.

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I will believe the science. I'm just reticent of people using it without supervision. I saw a guy I was friends with in college start doing a lot of acid and it wasn't good for him. Obviously that would be different than whatever kind of medical treatment. I am happy that there are stories of success. Terrific.