1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stolen Musical Equipment in Austin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GATER, Jan 16, 2004.

1. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

My apologies if this is not a permissible topic. Admins please lock if that is the case.

A very close friend of mine recently had their guitar effects pedalboard stolen here in Austin, TX. I'm sure that most of ya'all relate to the violated feeling of having something stolen and musicians can especially relate. All of us musicians can also fully understand how important and laborious years of refining your personal sound can be (including Rocket Man Tex even though he probably goes directly from guitar to amp!).

My friend and his bandmates have been struggling for many years and are now doing gigs (Austin, Houston, & DFW) to support their independently released CD so the timing couldn't have been worse. A report has been filed with the APD. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here's a list of the stolen items:

Stolen! 1/14 - 1/15/2004 from Music Lab 1306 W. Oltorf Austin, TX

Pedaltrain Pedalboard including:

1- Captain Coconut (rare) One of the first 8 made (maroon)
    1- Original Juice Box Power supply
    1- vintage Ibanez tube screamer
    1- Clear Gain (rare)
    1- Wah Pedal
    1- Texas Blues Tube Guitar Slide
    1- Voodoo Lab Tremolo Pedal
    1- Line 6 Delay Pedal
    1- Boss TU2 stage Tuner
    1- cloth tool bag
    * wired with George L cables
    2- Monster Cables
    1- 6 ft. extension chord
    GSII written on the Pedaltrain Case
    2 - Shure SM58 mics.

Case #045002361 Austin Police Dept. 512-974-5000 or 512-751-0427

=========================

It doesn't sound like much, but my friend estimates the replacement cost at $2,200. (I am not aware if he has a homeowner’s policy to cover this). As bolded above, my friends' initials (GS II) are written on the pedalboard case. The "Texas Blues Tube slide" was/is custom-made by another friend in Houston and is marked on the inside of the barrel.

This is not only a felony but a crime against musicians everywhere.

Feel free to e-mail me personally and thanks.
    Gater

2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

You might have them scout around at local pawn shops. Theives almost always rob for money not the items and pawn shops is one of the ways to turn the items into money - and they usually don't go too far to unload the items. If they find something, don't tip your hand with the pawn shop owner, leave and call the police.

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Heheheh...yes except for a Boss Noise Suppressor and a Boss Blues Driver.

Man, this freaking sucks. I have had my gear stolen on a couple of occasions and it is a crappy feeling. I will keep my eyes open...I'm often trolling used gear stores and pawn shops.

One place that I know sells stolen gear is Southpaw Guitars on Bellaire. Back in 1983, I walked in there and found a Fender Twin that was stolen from me about six months prior. I asked the clown that owns the place "what are you doing with my stolen amp?" and he proceeded to read me the riot act, telling me that he would never sell stolen gear and how dare I accuse him of such a thing. Then I showed him where I had engraved my drivers license number on the back of the amp, and showed him a copy of the police report that had the amp's serial number on it. What a horses ass! He tried to make nice with me after that, offering me an effects pedal if I would keep my mouth shut. I laughed, called the cops, and went back later that day and picked up my amp. I haven't walked into the place since, and I tell all of my musician friends to steer clear of Southpaw Guitars. The guy who owns the place is a moron of the highest order.

4. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I don't get out much, but I'll definitely keep my eyes open.

Stealing musical equipment from original musicians is the work of a worhtless ****, even if the victims are mediocre original musicians.

It is only permissible to steal musical equipment from pawn shops, giant chain stores (think Guitar Center®), and cover bands.

5. thadeus

Actually....from what I've been hearing lately, the best place to search for musical equipment after it's been stolen from your rehearsal room is in other nearby rehearsal rooms.

P.S. - it's also a good idea to check if any old (and possibly disgruntled) bandmates still have keys to the room.

6. GATER

Thanks for the suggestions ya'all. Pawn shops and other rehearsal space renters should definitely be high on the list. I will pass them along. I have not yet spoken with my friend...only received his sad e-mail this morning.

Rocket Man Tex -
    If you play much slide guitar, let me hook you up with my friend who's make the custom "Texas Blues Tube" slides there in Houston. He's making then for Roy Rogers and many other name players. He's a drummer and his shop is just south of 290 and the Beltway. E-mail me if interested.

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

You're joking right? If not, how about it is only permissible to steal anything like NEVER?

GATER,

That blows man. Hope your friend can find his stuff.

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Man...I hope you are joking..:mad:

if you arent...you just lost tons of credibility.

there is no shame in playing covers...me and a few of my working friends do it for fun...we have no plans on tryin to compete with real original bands...we dont have the time nor the inclination for it...but we can make a little money on the weekends by going to little bars and playingcovers...that is what most people want.

When I was working with a all original band....half the people in the clubs wanted to hear covers...
    Even after they got into the originals..they still wanted us to mix in some covers..

Musicians that play covers deserve to not have their gear ripped off...just like "real" bands do.

9. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Not only did I steal all that stuff, but I'm molesting the line 6 delay pedal right now....bwahahaha!!

10. GATER

MR -
    99% of my posting is GARM and NBA stuff. I'm rarely in the Hangout so I wasn't sure. Thanks for the comment.

Got to agree with RMT...music is music...even cheesy lounge acts don't deserve to be deprived of their personal possessions. (I've had gear ripped off so I'm very sensitive to the issue).

RMT - I responded to your mail.

11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

hehe...I wish I was half the musician that RMT seems to be....but I understand the mixup....;)

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

[rant]
    I'd much rather play in a kick ass "cover" band that people actually like than some rock star wanna be, unlistenable "original" band that no one likes (except their friends and family) with a homemade CD full of horrible songs that they sell at their deserted shows and some romantic,yet completely unobtainable fantasy of becoming the next Linkin Park...
    [/rant]

Sorry, GATER. I had a cymbal bag stolen at a gig many years ago. Since then, I guard my equipment with my life. Check every pawn shop in Austin.

#12 ima_drummer2k, Jan 16, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2004
  13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

heh...we used to have this one guy who sooo wanted to be with the band that he used to volunteer to sit at the club and guard our stuff while we ran to the house to get cleaned up after setup and soundchecks..

never had a problem with stuff disappearing after that. ;)

14. RocketMan Tex

Thanks for the compliment. I wish I was half the musician Muddy Waters was!

15. RocketMan Tex

Cover bands are fun to play in as long as you like the cover songs that the band is playing. Personally, I know that I would not enjoy playing in a cover band that plays songs that are currently at the top of the charts. I have, in the past, enjoyed playing in cover bands that played 50s and 60s music.

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Yea...I'll get right on the case. :rolleyes: :D

I'm kidding...don't be mad. I'm a hobbyist musician and I would be mad if my effects were stolen. Still, there's a .01% chance posting about it in a bbs will help recover it or get you leads.

SO, I'M TELLING YOU THERE'S A CHANCE!

17. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

You should call Cedric Benson. He'll go busting down doors looking for the stolen goods.

Also, Gater, I'm assuming that your buddy's music lab is off Oltorf between Congress and Lamar, correct. Burglaries in that area are pretty common. I know, because I used to live off Riverside, and later, East Oltorf@Pleasant Valley. People were always getting their apartments and cars broken into.

18. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I got my gear stolen when I lived and played in Austin. It sucked.
    There's so much petty theft in that town. I don't know if the police will be any help. Your friend could talk with a pi, though. he might know where the stolen gear shows up, and be able to scout for him.

19. thadeus

Okay - maybe it's not right to just walk up and steal the music equipment from a cover band.

First, you beat them up - then you steal their equipment. And their girlfriends.

Now, back to the topic:

Good luck GATER - if your friend retrieves his stuff, let everyone know!

#19 thadeus, Jan 16, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2004
  20. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

GATER, does your friend's band have a girl singer? A friend of mine and his band practice at Music Lab in Austin and they have a girl doing most of the singing. They do Tejano and some classic rock. My friend's cousin is the guitar player. Hope it wasn't his equipment that was stolen.