1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Major

Major Member

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

3. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

If you're a TSMC senior employee right now, I imagine you're getting tons of lucrative offers to help to create a TSMC substitute. Despite all the political rhetoric, Taiwan does a lot of business with mainland China and many Taiwanese go there for job opportunities.

4. adoo

adoo Member

but they're bouncing off the low trading channel,
    as profit-taking from value stocks has reverted back to growth stocks, this time at cheaper prices

CRM reports on 20 Aug, 5 more trading days​
    [​IMG]

MSFT X-Div on 19 Aug, and TikTok developments are ongoing​
    [​IMG]

5. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Are the good times back already?

6. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Have you looked into CRWD before? Fast growing SaaS projected 50% annual rev growth for next 4 years; should be profitable in 2 years. Looks like there's support @$101?

[​IMG]

7. adoo

adoo Member

yes, a top notch data security firm
    my plan is,

after playing AMD and TSM for this coming earnings. except for CRWD, i will seize trading until wks after the Nov election. just too volatile.
    i think that CWRD will do well during this volatile and uncertain time​

saitou likes this.
  8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. I don't know. This market is so nuts some days. Crappy stocks doing well. Good stocks doing well. Low volatility. I want another correction! :) I'm not putting more money into the market for now. I'll let whatever I have ride for the most part with a few stops in place. I'm still looking for interesting plays here and there, though. I'm around probably 30% cash (I think). If there's anything that will survive another downturn, it will probably be tech, but even with those, I'm still worried about the world issues. What makes it worse is I'm not sure what is a "defensive stock" anymore, so I'm still looking for some of those.

BTW, I looked into CRWD months ago, I just had too much stuff I was looking at to consider it much. It was a high-flyer not too long ago, but a lot of cloud/security plays cooled off just as I was ready to pull the trigger and CRWD was one of the ones that cooled off, but I could never figure out why. I chickened out. I think I ended up buying SWKS around then and had enough tech at that point.

saitou likes this.
  9. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

Yeah, I started pulling money out today and will continue doing so slowly. It just makes no sense and way too much uncertainty everywhere.
    Going to hold on to some stuff but going to sit a fair amount of money out.

also hello everyone in the stock thread!

saitou likes this.
  10. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Epic Games (Fortnite) and Apple are duking it out with Apple banning Fortnite from the App Store today. Hopefully all the bad PR for Apple will cause the stock to dip a bit before the upcoming stock split if you're looking for an entry point.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The government took legal action when the microsoft gave away a free browser, but they aren't doing anything against apple?

12. adoo

adoo Member

correction

CRM reports on 25 Aug, 10 more trading days​

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It’s the way things have been going for decades. Corporations have taken over the government. Tendrils everywhere.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

15. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

I'm mostly growth now, but this is my small basket of defensive stocks:
    VIRT - only listed HFT buying order flow from robinhood, profits off volatility
    LDOS - defence contractor, with focus on info tech and biomedical
    FCN - liquidator, if there's going to be a depression, we'll have more chapter 11s and hopefully FCN's services will be in demand
    GDX - for the inner gold bug in me

Cokebabies likes this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

“I think they should put a cigarette warning label on Robinhood, because it could be hazardous to your financial health the more you trade. Every study on planet Earth has shown day traders that are not sophisticated do not make money. They game-ify it, they throw confetti after each trade, the make it ‘free’ but ultimately it’s a losers game"

Sajan likes this.
  17. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Yep and then when all these noob day traders get their tax bill in January they will all be in debt to the IRS.

CCity Zero likes this.
  18. adoo

adoo Member

u realize that

this means that their trades, collectively, have generated profits

fwiw,

people filed their tax returns, w a due date of ~ april 15 each year.
    if you have generated loss from stock trades, you can deduct the loss, w a cap of $3,000 per year, from your tax return.

#11178 adoo, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    CCity Zero likes this.
  19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I wonder how many are actually turning good profits, especially for the ones in options. I know I saw some reports showing most daytraders take a year+ to learn and make consistent profit, while others will get washed out after a year (some insanely high amount quit).

-Then again w/ more time at home maybe people will turn a profit sooner... But I still think there's a period of learning some tactic/plan and then managing risk/loss. Like you'll see someone boast about a huge win only to lose it all, with that said I do like reading about the small guys that were smart enough to walk away or reinvest in a good one vs chasing garbage. And also know there will be taxes - that this isn't some underground poker game.

Anyway, I definitely agree with you though, there will probably be a higher number that made profit, I'd hope they'd have money set aside but some probably thought they'd continue some streak since March and now that things are switching up it's not the super easy mid March fun, hopefully they get help with losses and track it for future returns assuming they lost more than 3k etc. - then again when I see people talk about taking mortgages/loans etc to "try/play" stocks it's a bit concerning. The IRS always wins.

davidio840 likes this.
  20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

ASPS is something worth looking into. Somehow someway after buying it yesterday it went up 12% today. I lucked out on this one and don’t even know why it went up today. I’m probably holding this for a while though.

CCity Zero and saitou like this.