1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yes.

Plowman and RKREBORN like this.
  2. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Amazon is more bipolar than my ex-girlfriend

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Only if you look short-term. lol. :(

4. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

Bought calls on ESTC as a speculative play $80c 06/19. Splunk earnings today should be a good indicator leading up to earnings week. Already up a good 15% since opening positions, just wish I had bought a few more to day trade today.

5. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

I have been an FB hater forever, dumped my account long ago and haven’t looked back until now. I think the shopping angle is a game changer. BTW, I still think AMZN is a buy but wow, FB...

6. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I was in India during Christmas 2018 and we were all just hanging out on the patio. I remember looking around and seeing everyone either on FB, Whatsapp or Instagram. That's when i realized that FB was a bigger beast than i realized. I bought some after Powell pivoted on rate hikes. It went from 150 to 175 and I went ahead and sold.

But yeah this one is a global behemoth and probably a good buy and hold after the next pullback. A kinder, gentler FCC going forward could help as well.

7. adoo

adoo Member

FB was in my core holdings until 2017; after learning about its complicity in helping Cambridge Analytica to influence elections thru out the world---including the US---
    i dumped it to buy MSFT, SBUX and BX. haven't look back since as well.

the FB executives messed up w the IPO in ~~ 2011/2012, the IPO was priced ~~ the mid 30s; after the IPO mess, the stock price tanked for a few months. i took a flyer on it @ $28

#10067 adoo, May 21, 2020
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
  8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

December of 2018 is when I decided to just sell everything. I never even bothered with a stop order or buying puts to protect my position until that point. As you can see, that December, I had had enough to put a stop order in on a stock I thought I'd hold for a decade... and it blew through that... lol : https://www.theguardian.com/technol...2018-timeline-year-in-review-privacy-scandals

BTW, I was reading this article about Facebook and all the times companies approached Zuckerberg trying to buy them. I remember the Microsoft attempt and thought they were nuts for turning it down, but what do I know. The article is from 2016, and some of the companies that tried to take them over are either long-gone or shells of themselves : https://www.inc.com/business-insider/11-companies-that-almost-acquired-facebook.html

9. adoo

adoo Member

Microsoft also turned down buying GOOGLE.

these were all Steve Balmer decision.
    the FATSO had also suppressed S Nadella's work on the cloud
    had the current MSFT CEO, S. Nadella, been at the helm, he would have purchased both GOOGL and FB.

#10069 adoo, May 21, 2020
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
  10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well, Microsoft tried like crazy to buy Facebook. They offered $15 billion and later $20 billion -- they wanted that company badly, but Facebook just wasn't interested in selling to anybody. I also don't recall Microsoft trying to buy Google, but maybe I've just forgotten. I recall Alta Vista and Yahoo both turning down Page & Brin to sell Google for chump change, though. One of the biggest duds was when Microsoft offered to buy Yahoo for something like $50 billion and Yahoo said "no". lol.

11. adoo

adoo Member

Larrry Page offer to sell GOOGL to MSFT before its IPO

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This was announced earlier today :

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-to-boost-its-valuation-sources-idUSKBN22X1HA

Exclusive: Baidu considers leaving the Nasdaq to boost its valuation - sources

Chinese search engine giant Baidu Inc (BIDU.O) is considering delisting from the U.S. Nasdaq and moving to an exchange closer to home to boost its valuation amid rising tension between the United States and China over investments, three sources said.

13. adoo

adoo Member

actually, SPLK's earnings call was today after market closing. after-hour trading for SPLK, ended up w a 5 pt jump in the stock price, 3.3%, to ~ 168

let's see the pin-ball action on CRM stock price, who btw reports next Thu, 28 May
    [​IMG]

saitou likes this.
  14. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Bezos was an early investor in Google too. Scary.

15. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

This is one company I wouldn't dare touch, its core product isn't great and losing market share. If Google still operated in China they'd probably be in a lot of trouble.

16. adoo

adoo Member

what is ur take as to the core products / services of this Singapore-based co, ?

[​IMG]

17. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

The ESTC calls bought yesterday have nearly doubled in value. Think I'll sell some and play with house money on the rest. Always nice to take gains.

CCity Zero likes this.
  18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Nice moves, if you can sell some for profits and play others on house money, that's always a win

noscrusir likes this.
  19. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Sorry don't have much insight on them. Never used their gaming products. Shopee (online shopping platform) has gained traction here recently in a crowded field with very aggressive advertising (I even see ads for it in apartment's freaking elevator), and seems to be doing well regionally, but it's a competitive space and from a consumer perspective I don't see any special competitive advantage they have over other platforms like Lazada, Qoo10, ezbuy etc. I've used all of them without brand loyalty - just use whichever has the cheapest listing/best promo at the time.

The only SG-based co I own is Netlink Trust (CJLU) for the distribution and tax purposes. They have a virtual monopoly on the residential fibre network, all of the ISPs have to use their network. Every time a consumer switches ISP, Netlink pockets a fee for flipping a switch.

#10079 saitou, May 22, 2020
    Last edited: May 22, 2020
  20. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Btw, have you guys heard any news/rumors on whether Stripe will ever IPO? Have there been cases in recent times of new-ish, big tech companies choosing not to list and just remain unlisted forever? I've been waiting for this one.

I have some shares of their competitor Adyen and they are killing it atm. Stripe should be doing well too.