1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve Kerr response to question about Chinese Human Rights Violations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheresTheDagger, Oct 10, 2019.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't really think Kerr did anything wrong in this case, but I'm happy for him to get as much grief as possible.

jcf and London'sBurning like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

He is such a dishonest coward.

3. Nook

Nook Member

He is just dishonest and not a man of convictions.

Is he the worst person on the planet? No, he is just fake and a weasel.

4. Senator

Senator Member

Yes, and the guys sticking up for him are in the exact same boat, trying to please and justify their overlords. I hope someone posts that twitter msg on China forums or GS forums with a ton of Chinese fans. Oh but hey, America has gun control problems everyone! Look away from my pockets immediately, there's wildfires and stuff.

Nook likes this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

To be fair, it’s part of a group, where a larger trend was the message of the tweet, a tweet of less than 50 characters and a retweet of that doesn’t pinpoint or generalize anything specific.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hey now. Don’t derail the thread.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. TheresTheDagger

LOL. Now THAT'S ironic.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

As deadspin pointed out, that excuse doesn;t work for this question

"Understanding that you don’t want to comment on something outside the United States, are you broadly supportive of NBA officials’ ability to do so? Specifically, do you believe Daryl Morey shouldn’t be fired over this?”

That's not only domestic, it is NBA specific. It is also an easy answer.

Nook likes this.
  9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It’s an easy question to answer for you and me, because what we say won’t have any impact on international relations. As we’ve seen with Morey’s innocuous tweet, that doesn’t apply to prominent NBA figures.

BaselineFade likes this.
  10. B-Bob

[​IMG]

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t have a problem with saying if Kerr isn’t hypocritical he’s at least not consistent. That said to expect him or really anyone’s attention / outrage to be consistent on every issue is unrealistic. I was talking about this last night with some friends. Just this past week My attention has been torn between what’s going on HK, with what’s happening go with our presidency and on top of that I have friends in Northern Ireland and the UK who are very concerned about Brexit. I was half joking that next I will get calls from Indian friends that I’m not paying enough attention to Kashmir.

With someone like Kerr yes he is very outspoken about issues that matter to him personally. HK wasn’t an issue that mattered to him much before and this is an issue that Morey and the PRC have forced upon the NBA. I have no doubt that Kerr’s financial interests are limiting what he’s saying but unlike most of us here he does have something at stake.

Does that make him a coward? There is an argument for that but how many here would do the same if you were put into a position where your financial interests might be jeopardized for something that you didn’t really think about.

BaselineFade, durvasa and B-Bob like this.
  12. B-Bob

A very reasonable post. I literally do have an Indian colleague who is kind of appalled by how little Americans (including me) think and speak about Kashmir and what is, to her, an increasingly disturbing Indian government.

My only quibble with your post and a few other takes in this thread: does Kerr really face financial risk over HK? I'd say no, not directly and barely indirectly. His players have deals over there, his bosses have deals over there, and he probably doesn't want to jeopardize those around him unnecessarily.

I mean, unless he came out in favor of NAMBLA or whatever, the Warriors aren't going to fire him as coach at this particular point. I just don't see how personal financial risk played into his take on this particular issue.

durvasa likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It's an easy question for Kerr to answer. Should NBA employees be fired for voicing political opinions? He's a guy who will look for mics to speak his politics but play basketball only when someone else gets crap for doing the same thing.

Nook likes this.
  15. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

a total fake b**** acting like a total fake b****, shocking!

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It would make sense for the league to have a gag order and let silver handle it.

17. B-Bob

On HK, or on the insecure teen girl in the Whitehouse?

Pop will keep trolling 45 and loving it.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

On HK, they haven't lifted the ban so I think everyone is agreeing to STFU and see the reaction on opening day.

CHEETUS is open game

19. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

No...but that never stops him from talking about all sorts of other issues. Why this one then? $$$

So, he's a sell out.

20. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Like our President.