1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve Kerr response to question about Chinese Human Rights Violations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheresTheDagger, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

Or he fully understand the issue, know himself and knows what how far he can go. Pragmatism is knowing your boundary and reach. Ideologism (the right of free speech in this case) is knowing or not knowing that while pushing forward anyway. It's not a fight he wants to take, clearly. With boundary set (physical), these people can still speak effectively to social issue within that constraint. You can still have said Christian value within your family, practice it, but do not push it onto your neighbor. It doesn't make you any less effective within your family.

With that said... I know there has been alot of attention on free speech, but... my thought around this Morey / China thing is that's too limited. It's an opportunity that might be missed. Forget free speech, that's not going to happen in China. But there are areas that the US can impact and SHOULD. As an example, speaking from the viewpoint of technology (our largest and most impactful "trade" with China is in this realm) - and this isn't limited to just China but also Russia. I think there should be a conversation on how much our US based companies either operating over there or making devices or software for those countries should be "regulated" to support US interest - such as free speech. Today, devices sold into China and Russia is different then devices sold here. PC sold to those region cannot have a device that prevent an outsider / government to snoop on you - think of a device that can safeguard your info and protect it for the user is disallowed. Just one example and there are many more. These are areas that the US gov could regulate to try to curtail value we do not like or influence our value and interest to the rest of the world, if we chooses to.

durvasa likes this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If people were being honest on here, that's really all these anti-Kerr threads are about. That, or hating him for the progressive causes he speaks out on.

TheFreak, jcf and BaselineFade like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Agreed!

Sincerely,

Neville Chamberlain

[​IMG]

FWIW Kerr is a coward. He has lots of opinions when there is little consequence to him. As soon as there is a consequence he turns into a judenrat.

4. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

KingCheetah likes this.
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

A coward is not spending lots of money and time fighting against the gun lobby, FWIW. I know people in that game, and it is ugly. People from Sandyhook who still put up with threatening phonecalls and hate mail b/c they speak out.

I just fundamentally do not understand: "X speaks out on topic A so therefore must speak out on topic B." No wonder our country is looking so dumb, because we insist everyone tweet out crap they know nothing about.

EDIT: to me, the only important part of his comments are the "shiny object" part. QFT. The country has better things to be talking about, and the POTUS understands this very well.

#25 B-Bob, Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    TheFreak, Miracle, RayRay10 and 4 others like this.
  6. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

When NBA SJW start ranting, just remember its just for show. Credibility down to zero.

Bandwagoner likes this.
  7. WNBA

WNBA Member

An honest and thoughtful man. huge respect to him.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Where is the harsh condemnation of Daryl Morey for quickly retreating on his support for Hong Kong as soon as the consequences of his “support” became clear to him?

Are people crying about Kerr’s hypocrisy willing to aim their darts first at the home town guy?

TheFreak likes this.
  9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

If you're not willing to sacrifice for your own ideals then you're just cheap talk. There are a number of prominent people in sports who have sacrificed their earning potential to speak up for what's right. It's easy for Kerr to talk about the President being a dope and to talk about civil rights and gun violence because there's no cost to him. As soon as there's a cost he shuts up. It's a glaring example of hypocrisy and I say that as someone who typically agrees with Kerr's political points of view.

As for myself, the larger the platform the more I'd feel a responsibility to speak out publicly. If I were Steve Kerr I would keep politics private all the time and not pick and choose depending on the cost. If I were Lebron, I'd feel a responsibility to speak out.

10. B-Bob

This is kind of silly. I know we liberals love to throw poo at each other, but so be it.

There's no cost in getting crossways of the POTUS who has very angry and devoted followers? Okay.
    And there would be cost to him if he lost his NBA job? I guess, but he enjoyed broadcasting, would easily do that again, and he has really no need to ever earn another nickel. Dude does not strike me as someone who's just looking to cash checks. It may be that he (and I think Morey probably has similar feelings, hence the deleted tweet) doesn't want to cost other people money unnecessarily.

You aren't in his head or heart. It could really be that he knows a lot less about the history of Hong Kong and their agreement with China than he knows about gun violence in America. To expect him to blurt out your view of something is absurd.

But whatever. By all means, let's all get mad at Steve Kerr. He is the key to everything and if he would only speak up on everything, everything would be better. Morley should definitely put his tweet back up too, the "coward."

durvasa, jcf and BaselineFade like this.
  11. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Nailed it.

12. Amiga

Supporting Member

I thought he shouldn't have deleted the tweet. Let the NBA handles it and maintain your freedom of speech.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  13. Amiga

Supporting Member

It's surprising that someone like Kerr who is outspoken and seems to be up to speed on politic... isn't aware of what's going on in HK or not know enough to have an initial stance. I still give him that room, but I think he's just being pragmatic. It's a battle he would lose. And if this is a war, it would have been a bad move.

B-Bob likes this.
  14. B-Bob

Yeah, I can see the whining he is getting, given him being so outspoken domestically. I get that, to some degree.

It seems one could at least say something like, "without knowing the details of HK's history or the current agreements and timelines with China, I believe in the rights of all human beings to express themselves publicly."

Amiga likes this.
  15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

C'mon Bob. The Warriors are out of the Bay Area, one of the most liberal areas in the country. Kerr risks little to nothing by talking about Trump.

This isn't about what Kerr thinks of the particular internal politics of Hong Kong, it's about him vocalizing support for freedom of speech and being against government censorship. These issues are a layup and Kerr blew it.

I'm not mad at Steve Kerr, I've just lost a lot of respect for him as a fellow progressive. So the next time he goes on a political rant there's no reason to give him the time of day.

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  16. TheresTheDagger

The idea that Steve Kerr is completely clueless about China and its decades of human rights abuses is hilarious. To use that as an excuse to avoid answering the questions is just as dumb especially after the last 6 days. Nobody is that insulated most especially Kerr.

Is the question tough? Yes. Unfair to him even? Nope. Not if you've given out controversial political opinions in the past.

cml750, Nook and MiddleMan like this.
  17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Paul Westphalhead and Don Chaneylucas used to handle these questions a lot better when they were asked them all the time.

Nook likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

"I don't know where it's all heading. But I think it seems like a time of activism. That's why you're seeing the Women's March and people seem to be getting more politically active. It just seems important to me to add my voice."

Steve Kerr 2018

"They’re protesting excessive police violence and racial inequality. Those are really good things to fight against."

Steve Kerr 2017

“But that matters. Everyone should be trying to do something, whatever is in their power, to help in that regard.”

Steve Kerr 2017

“Our guys have been asked a lot about it and they’ve done a great job responding,” Kerr said. “It’s a tricky topic. Not the Kaepernick situation, but social activism in general. It has to come from the heart. There are a lot of fans out there that say, ‘Stick to sports. We’re trying to get away from this by watching your team play.’

“I understand that. On the other hand, these guys have a voice. In my mind, as long as the message is clear, I’m all for people speaking out against injustice no matter what form that takes. If it’s nonviolent and leads to conversation, then I think that’s beautiful.”

Steve Kerr 2017

Kerr has also spoken on international issues and follows them closely. He comments on issues all the time. He didn't comment because he didn't want the backlash. He offers opinion on lots of issues until he suddenly it suddenly may cost him. You and I see eye to eye on most things, and I could very well be wrong but this all seems too convenient.

TheresTheDagger and Amiga like this.
  19. Amiga

Supporting Member

Keep in mind also that players have a lot to lose individually. Kerr might not want to step on a bomb that impact his own players.

20. TheresTheDagger

Not so long ago, Steve Kerr liked the idea of a free Hong Kong.