1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Starbucks closing stores after 2 black men arrested

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Invisible Fan, Apr 17, 2018.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Well the appointment was at 4:45. The men say they were there about 10 minutes early which would be 4:35. One said he went directly to the manager to ask to use the restroom and was told no unless he ordered something.

The police confirm they were called at 4:37 and arrived at 4:41 (damn that's fast!). The third gentlemen arrived around 4:45 and found them being arrested.

The guys say they didn't even know police were called until they arrived on the scene. The "two minutes" narrative isn't from them, it's from them saying they got there at that time and reporters getting the police call time from the police.

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It depends on the area, too. Most suburban coffee shops will have no issues with non-paying customers. Downtown shops will have more loiterers that harass customers, which will lead to more strict policies for non-paying customers.

I recommend you guys read some stories on the r/starbucks subreddit. Plenty of store managers are dealing with homeless loiterers now that the floodgates are open again.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Funny you omit the part about them telling the manager that they were just there for a meeting when told that they had to order something or leave. As soon as they made it clear that they had no intention of becoming customers after being told that they needed to buy something to stay, that's when they should have been tossed out. Doesn't matter if it was 2 minutes or 2 hours.

4. justtxyank

I omitted everything in that timeline that isn’t clear and agreed upon as facts of the case

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well the 2 men telling the Starbuck's manager that they were just there for a meeting when she told them they needed to buy something is THEIR story....so there's no reason to omit it other than the fact that it makes them look really bad and it makes the decision to boot them completely justifiable.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You nailed it. "wants the behavior to change". This implies, along with shutting down thousands of stores, that Starbucks has a wide spread of racial problems. That is just ludicrous. Starbucks is one of the most progressive companies out there. If its implied Starbucks has racial bias issues, then what does that say all other companies like Chic Fil A. Do you know why Chic Fil A doesn't have these problems? Be cause they dont hire shitty employees. Chic Fil A, as a whole, which includes their corporate down to their janitors, respect their customers, not because of their race or other attributes, but because they understand customer service.

Some of you have forgotten what happened with United when the officers dragged the man off the plane. United was crucified. Everyone was blamed from the flight attendants, to United (even though it wasn't one of their direct flights) and the officers. Starbucks did not forget this. Starbucks was not about to allow the court of public opinion to dictate the narrative. I tried to find quotes from Starbucks acknowledged this was a racial incident, however all I have come across is racial bias is not tolerated, the 2 men should not have been kicked out and the Starbucks team is going to provide training.

Again, I want to state that I do not know if this was racially motivated. I simply do not see any evidence for either or.

7. justtxyank

1) it doesn’t make them look bad
    2) that’s an established party of the story the person I was responding to didn’t need

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

1. It destroys the narrative that this was race based and it destroys the narrative that they were treated unfairly.
    2. It's absolutely a vital part of the story. If they were merely assumed to be non-customers, that's one thing, if they were confirmed non-customers it's a different story.

9. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

It absolutely would not. It is pure speculation. The CEO wouldn't even get a chance to answer any questions about what happened that day, because the questions would call for speculation (because he wasn't there and doesn't know what happened or especially what the manager was thinking).

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

This is a one time incident as far as we know out of millions of customer encounters.

Including black customers just hanging customers old customers etc etc etc

11. justtxyank

Yes, we all know that in your mind that part of the story destroys the race angle while to others it reinforces it.
    I don't agree with your position, but again, it's a part of the story the person I was responding to already knew.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL literally how could that reinforce the racism narrative? It shows that the decision to ask the person to leave and then call the police was 100% justified based on the fact that the 2 guys refused to purchase anything and informed the manager that they had no intention of becoming customers, they were just there to loiter. The racism angle was based on the idea that they were assumed to be loiterers due to being black, that was clearly not the case. Instead this is just another example of having lower standards for certain people's actions in public due to their race.

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yes, the one time it was caught on video just happened to be the one time incident. What incredible luck! Like seeing Big Foot in the wild. :rolleyes:

14. CometsWin

Heh.

The white parts of town should have no issues with loitering but the darker shades of town need stricter policies to distinguish between disheveled, mentally ill homeless people bothering other customers and "the blacks" that are waiting to meet.

r/starbucks subreddit must have the stupidest people imaginable posting about working at Starbucks dealing with this terribly difficult discernment.

15. CometsWin

Just for educational purposes.

Homeless
    [​IMG]

Not homeless white guy.
    [​IMG]

Not homeless black guy but still under arrest.
    [​IMG]

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Cause no one has any media devices in Starbucks right? That's like big foot in probability?

17. CometsWin

True, every time I go into Starbucks there are at least six people recording at any one time except the homeless guys of course. Good point.

pgabriel likes this.
  18. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

starbucks is a restaurant?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. mick fry

mick fry Member

I be damn, the white dude actually bought coffee. My bad it was probably given to him. (white privilege)

#419 mick fry, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Bobbythegreat likes this.
  20. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I agree that there is no problem with bathroom policies for private businesses. Starbucks has just announced that they will allow anyone to use their restrooms, regardless of purchase. This will just invite the homeless to squat in the restrooms. Thanks for making it more uncomfortable for your paying customers. It's bad enough that I have to stand there 10 minutes for all the mocha, frappa nonsense in front of me just to get my iced coffee.