1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Star Wars - The Rise of Skywalker

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nero, Apr 12, 2019.

1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I thought she was actually really good in the movie. Nothing overdone or out of place. Totally dig her character.

Deuce, B-Bob and daywalker02 like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Zorii, mind you!

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Or just because the family of the Skywalker, it's the only real one she had. No spoiler needed for that.

Jontro likes this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Questions about the movie. Do not interpret as complaints necessarily. Might have already been answered but would appreciate yalls POV.

1. Is Rey grabbing the transport ship (easily, I might add) the greatest showing of Force strength in SW movie history? Yoda, Luke, etc have to use considerable concentration to slowly move small ships that are stationary; Rey just stopped a huge ship as it was flying away.

2. Was there any reason why Kylo got his mask repaired? (I know the real reason is to sell more ****, but what was the storyline reason?)

3. How did Finn get confused about the ship Chewy was on??? Didn't he watch him board the ship? And wouldn't his apparent Force-sensitivity enable him (or Rey!!) to know whether or not he was on a particular ship?

4. When Finn and his newfound friends ride those animals and run around on the spaceship, how are they able to breath / maintain gravity? I assume they are still in that planet's atmosphere, but at the very least the air would be so thin that high up that they probably couldn't run / yell / fight like that. (PS I'm not a science man so I might be off base. PPS I realize that this is sci-fi and the answer to this question doesn't really matter.)

5. Why did Kylo's face scar disappear halfway through the movie?

6. Why did Poe say "First Order" well after it was established that Palpatine's army was the "Last Order?"

7. Did characters always refer to Kylo Ren as just Ren or was that new for this movie?

8. Did Lando initiate a romantic- or father-daughter relationship with that girl at the end?

Yung-T, jo mama and Jontro like this.
  5. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

According to the visual dictionary, Lando had a baby girl that was abducted by the First Order when she was two. That's the reason for him being on that planet and hunting the wayfinders and that Jedi bounty hunter with Luke. He was searching for her. And Jannah would be the right age to be Lando's daughter, so I think that moment was supposed to allude to that.

Just one of many important character and/or plot details that would have been nice to be included in the film or trilogy.

Yung-T, B-Bob, Haymitch and 1 other person like this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Doesn't everyone in Abrams films gain strength?
    [not serious mode ON]

Yes it was. ....
    well, until Palpatine sucked her and Ren's energy to launch a massive lightning strike to destroy multiple space ships. :eek: But then that was overcome again by Rey blocking his massive lightning strike on her, so I guess she one-upped him, again. :eek::eek:

Also, if she was capable of grabbing a transport ship, why not just mind-control the pilot with a suggestion to land it. :)

Also, also ... if she can do all that (plus move the massive boulders from the cave entrance, in TLJ), why would she allow a little quick sand suck her and her friends down.​

[/not serious mode still ON]

#406 heypartner, Dec 27, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    Yung-T, superfob, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

i actually took it the other way. she really wanted nothing to do with the palpatine name and escaped to luke's dessert due to shame. she didn't even know what name to say when the gramma asked, until she saw luke and leia giving her the wassup.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

i cared about rylo ken. he was by far the most interesting character to me. rey's constant constipated face isn't too appealing, tho i still would. none of the supporting characters did anything for me and I'm sure most would agree. they tried to make poe into some badass this trilogy, but all we saw was some whiney soldier.

i would have loved to see a spinoff of just rylo being a jedi, call it star wars redemption or something. too bad they ended it the way they did with him.

Yung-T and B-Bob like this.
  9. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

Agreed; but not just the best Disney movie. Rogue One is the best Star Wars movie in the entire franchise.

GRENDEL and Lurch like this.
  10. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Another ****, uninteresting character in the rocketeer outfit

Jontro likes this.
  11. Caesar

Caesar Member

Her character and that former storm trooper with the odd throw in final scene with Lando seems to me like they were just trying to come up with new characters they can potentially use in future spin off series. Or it was just Kathleen Kennedy throwing in more female power for the sake of it. #TheForceisFemale Apparently she wanted Rey to be a god. Bow before Mary Rey Sue you evil men!

Jontro likes this.
  12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sign me up for a Keri Russell future spin-off series.

and The Mandalorian is choke full of female assassins. Don't think anyone's complaining about that. The Female Assassin (or female hero) is common throughout movies/TV/anime

hmmm...I might have to rewatch some of the seksi scenes in Marco Polo now.

oops, got side-tracked. I was gonna say Keri Russell is one of the best at playing the badass female hero. Like @Ziggy said, she probably had a bigger role, lost on the edit floor, in favor of a bunch of easter eggs and fan service.

GRENDEL and B-Bob like this.
  13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I feel fortunate I can watch basically any movie and I can enjoy it, as I did with this one.

My only wish was that it took some sleuthing for them to discover Palpatine, not just wham in the first sentence of the crawl.

Yung-T likes this.
  14. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I liked it slightly better the second time I watched it. I originally thought it was maybe a 6.5/10, but I think its actually a pretty good movie. I'd say 7.5/10. There was certainly some wasted opportunity, and it rehashed a lot of the same themes, but overall it was a fun Star Wars movie. I think it did a pretty good job of washing out the bad taste from The Last Jedi.

DCkid and B-Bob like this.
  15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

”no no, YOU take the life force stuff.”

I could hardly keep track.

Yung-T and Jontro like this.
  16. Jontro

Jontro Member

you get life force! you get life force! you get life force! you get life force! everybody gets life force!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

B-Bob likes this.
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Enjoyed seeing that hot mess of a movie last night. It was like the Mad Mad Mad World of Star Wars or something. Instead of my thoughts, I'll just try to have a go at some sensible questions from @Haymitch.

Maybe someone answered all these already, but here's a go.

@heypartner took a good swing at this, serious or not. I thought it was kind of cool that she let herself get a lil dark there.

He was trying to re-engage with his grandpa -- that's how I took it. But mainly, yes, there will be 10 billion kids wearing light-up cracked helmets next Halloween. Believe that.

Yeah, I had the same questions. There was SO much in the movie that even moderate force-attentiveness would have undone, like red-headed traitor. Kylo really wouldn't have detected that normal dude's betrayal? Unlikely.

I didn't think they were that high because all those ships had to stay in a lame low parking state until guided out by one little control tower or another. Let's say it was earth-like, just for fun, those animals and those people would be fine, give or take, a couple of miles above the ground (11,000 feet or so).

That's the effect of Rey's healing wonder power, and turning back into Ben instead of being nasty Kylo. The many-eyed snake (which was cool) looked better all around after the healing touch too.

I'm not sure, without rewatching, exactly when he heard the "last order" bit. But in any case, they were kinda sorta separate even late in the movie, I thought. Last order was under-water secret super-fleet. First order still had their own fleet and councils, etc.

Pass. Are you sure they didn't say "Ben" late in the movie? Ren from cannon is a whole group of knights, isn't it?

Answered elsewhere. I too assumed it was his daughter, but I'd like it better if it was just by a random baby-momma with Lando playing the cad dad. Oh well.

Things I liked in the hot mess of episode IX.
    • RICHARD E GRANT, yes! He was awesome. Did not see that coming.
    • Emperor's weird lair with the thin layer of light and the transfusion crane keeping him alive.
    • Having death star wreckage in the water, including great saber battle on top of it.
    • Lando in general. Good move to have him back and to have such a decent part.
    • Ending the whole thing back where it began. Nice touch, call it fan service if you will.
    • Kylo-Rey transdimensional force connection, including transporting objects. I like how they worked that angle.

Plenty I did not like too, but let's be positive.

Yung-T, jchu14, Jontro and 1 other person like this.
  18. Jontro

Jontro Member

good thing rylo force knocks before he force connects to rey. would be awkward if he connects when rey is in the bathroom.

Yung-T and B-Bob like this.
  19. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

so i saw ROS last week and really enjoyed it. and then yesterday TLJ was on tv and i watched it. like many, i was bigly disappointed when the movie came out a couple years ago, but when i saw it yesterday i really enjoyed it and i was trying to remember why i hated it so much.

if you hated TLJ id suggest giving it another viewing after watching the new one.

20. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Much to my own surprise, I'm giving it a 7 out of 10. Didn't expect to like it that much. I can barely even remember the prequels other than not liking them. But here's how I rank the last 6 episodes.

1. Empire Strikes Back 10/10
    2. A New Hope 10/10
    3. Return of the Jedi 10/10 (yeah, I typed it)
    4. Rise of Skywalker 7/10
    5. The Force Awakens 7/10
    6. The Last Jedi 4/10

* And Rogue One would be inserted at #4 with a 9/10.