1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars - The Rise of Skywalker

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nero, Apr 12, 2019.

1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

@Jontro @Severe Rockets Fan

My take on question 4...

Rey took the Skywalker name not for a slap in the face to Palpatine, but because Ben gave her life which was in part Skywalker blood/life from Leia. Not to mention out of respect of Leia being her Master.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sure glad I don’t watch any celebrity interview shows or morning network news, because I had no idea Keri Russell was in this movie.

Nice surprise. Could tell from her first line. Then her piercing eyes confirmed.

Imma in love with Keri Russell. Might rewatch this just for the Blissful scenes.

#382 heypartner, Dec 27, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    Deuce, mikol13 and B-Bob like this.
  3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

More than a little dumb. Had meh expectations and I suppose they were met.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I bet she had a bigger role, but with all those reshoots, got lost in the shuffle.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Definitive ranking of Skywalker series:

Empire Strikes Back
    The Last Jedi
    The Force Awakens
    A New Hope
    Last Skywalker
    Return of the Jedi
    Revenge of the Sith
    Phantom Menace / Attack of the Clones

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Force Awakens/The Last Jedi over A New Hope? :D

Yung-T and rockbox like this.
  7. droxford

droxford Member

I agree with your points. One of the things that I liked about TFA was the introduction of characters like Rey, kylo, Poe, Finn, and BB-8. ... But as you pointed out, They've done NOTHING with Finn in the last two movies and very little with Poe. Seriously, I can't think of a single thing Finn has done to contribute to the story in the last two movies.

Rose is complete crap and should never have been created in the first place.

Sadly, this means that, of the nine Skywalker movies made (which excludes Rogue One and Solo), I would give a "doesn't suck" rank to only the top four. Here's my ranking ...

Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    Return of the Jedi
    The Force Awakens
    Rise of Skywalker
    Revenge of the Sith
    Phantom Menace
    The Last Jedi
    Attack of the clones

rrj_gamz likes this.
  8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah, my bad. Using tiers is better.

1: ESB, TLJ
    2: ANH, TFA
    3: RotS, RotJ, TLS
    4: PM, AotC

There it is. The definitive tiers of the Skywalker series.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I would say most would switch around TFA and TLJ.

10. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Rey, kylo, Poe, Finn, and BB-8

Just reading these names shows how weak the characters and writing has been.

Is there one scene in any of the new 3 movies better than Liam Neeson/Ewan McGregor fighting Darth Maul? :p (Nope)

Entropy, DonkeyMagic and Nice Rollin like this.
  11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

No issue with that. I could see it

fchowd0311 likes this.
  12. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Dear Lord... Putting Sir Alec Guinness and a truly original (Kurosawa) story in the same galaxy as Fey and Renn merchandising just feels so wrong.

I'm just an old lump of coal, but I will take the talents of the original Alec Guinness, James Earl Jones and Harrison Ford Star Wars WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY over any of the new ones.

13. fchowd0311

I thought they did q good job as actors. Dialogue at least was far more believable than the prequels.

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I agree with this ranking. Maybe move up the last jedi one spot.

15. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Is there one character in these last 3 movies that holds up against any of the original creations? Vader/Solo/Yoda/Lando/Luke/Leia/C3P0/R2/Chewy, etc?

I mean, it's just an entirely different ballgame we are talking, right? One is iconic, one is macaroni and cheese. I might even argue that Liam Neeson created a far better character with sheer acting talent in Qui-Gon, than ANYONE in the last 3. Fey, Rinn and Kylo feel disposable. Did you really care for any of them?

Do you remember how you felt when you were a kid, and Vader killed Obi-Wan in front of Luke?

Putting any of these new ones over the OG Star Wars is simply not something I can relate to.

16. fchowd0311

This is called nostalgia. Star Wars was a very new concept at the big screen when it initially released. It's very memorable. Those characters have multiple decades of fanfare to make them the legends they are to say. It's not fair to say that They isn't as iconic as Like just because of technical merits in writing and actor ability. It has s lot to do with nostalgia.

I was born well after the original releases so I can't comment on watching those characters the first time on the big screen. The first time I watched star wars on on vhs.

It's difficult today to determine whether the kids who watched these sequels today will praise these characters as iconic when they become adults.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I respect that and cannot argue that the Disney-fied Star Wars is not just a merch cash grab. But, I think that by the time Return was made Lucas had already turned SW into primarily a vehicle for $$$ from merch sales.

Also, I always felt like Guinness mailed it in. Interviews I've seen of him afterwards certainly made it seem like he thought SW was bizarre, if not dumb.

RudyTBag likes this.
  18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Star Wars was in the running for Best Picture against PRIME Woody Allen, with Sir Guinness up for Best Supporting Actor. Seems to me like it was pretty damn well received without nostalgia glasses. The most recent Star Wars might not be in the top 100 best movies of this year alone.

As The Hobbit is to The Lord of the Rings, The Force Awakens is to A New Hope.

The writing, the acting, the magic. Just an entirely different plane of existence, IMO.

Invisible Fan, DCkid and Jontro like this.
  19. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I still feel the gutwrenching impact of Alec Guinness's Obi-Wan getting killed by Vader, all these years later.

I respect your opinion, but I will happily take Alec Guinness mailing it in over most high-level actors at the peak of their powers, let alone some rookies. The guy was just a towering talent to behold in anything he appeared in.

DCkid, Haymitch and mikol13 like this.
  20. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Yup, just like it is difficult to tell If kids will prefer Thorin Oakenshield to Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, Gandalf, Frodo, Sam, etc.

(Not difficult at all. We all know where the quality is...)