1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spurs gonna Spur: Gasol opts out, will take paycut

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by justtxyank, Jun 20, 2017.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

2. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

They are so close to a super team. Pop also has a winning culture going on. They also don't have a culture of calling their players assets. We could have had that culture once. We traded them away to get Charles Barkley. We're also known to really underpay those guys. We're all about harden getting an mvp instead of winning a ring.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Gasol does not scare anyone, not now.

4. conquistador#11

10 years from now he is going to be analyzing games for univison's esta noche en la N,hounding gregory for his money back.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Being close to a super team is treadmill to mediocrity in an era of actual super team.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And Always reminiscing about the Lakers, praising the Grizz for his time there and his brother, and Bad mouthing the Spurs for owing him money, like Barkley. :D

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. Outlier

Outlier Member

I guess the Spurs are really going for Paul.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Spurs looking to move LaMarsha?

10. malakas

malakas Member

isn't that the extremely annoying suns radio reporter? Then they even talked with the Suns..
    Let's see what happens. Maybe they want to get a pick to trade for PG? Or draft someone? Or just clear capspace?

J.R. likes this.
  11. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

:rolleyes: Sure!

12. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

Oh? Please elaborate.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Just like the movie. :D

14. malakas

malakas Member

So...Suns turned down Porzingis but now are going to trade the pick for an expiring old LMA? Are we serious?

15. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

Ah, haha. I didn't make the connection!

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Lowe & Arnovitz:

San Antonio:

Arnovitz: Are they good enough to compete as are? (As in) Get a shot at a conference finals. That has been complicated by Houston. Parker is his last year. Do they consider trading him? I think the answer is no. Kawhi is in his prime. You don't squander that. But how do you play for now if you don't have the component parts(and Aldridge is not) & don't have the space to go get another guy, of what would be the beginnings of another "super team". Building around Kawhi & Murray & ehh who else? The market for Aldridge is not robust. They have one of the best backup PGs(Mills) but do you pay him starter money?

Lowe: Spurs have about $14.5M in room with Mills' hold on the books & with zero from Manu, Dedmon, Lee & Pau. It's unclear what Pau will take. $14.5M won't get you much. Not a massive upgrade over Mills. If you renounce Mills, you can get to $20.5M. That can get you in the ballpark for George Hill. If they trade Parker or Green, all bets are off. If they can open max space, ...would it surprise you if in 3 days we see Spurs schedule last second meeting with Gordon Hayward, would that surprise you?

KA: No. Nothing will. We all love George Hill. But, looking at him through FA, he's 31. He has an injury history. If it's gonna require a 3/4 year deal, ...is that the guy you commit to? Is he your bridge to Murray? Can they move Parker?

ZL: We don't know when he's coming back from a serious injury. Mid-to-late 30s. $15M expiring. I don't unless one of the cap room teams say we'll keep it dry completely. Tough sell.

KA: (Hill)They'd be paying a lot of money for a guy on the other side of 30, who albeit is a good fit.​

Vivi likes this.
  17. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Haha weird how things ended up. We were so sad

18. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lol i knew the Hayward/Spurs argument was about to come out at some point...hope he doesn't consider them.

malakas likes this.
  19. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

The Spurs are finally falling off I 100% believe that.

They have culture that I respect and admit every franchise should strive for.

They have made some incredible draft picks in Duncan and then Manu and Tony all the way to Leonard.

But let's be honest as great of a coach as pop is, and he's the best ever as far as I'm concerned. The NBA is about talent and the Spurs haven't replenished there team with much of that outside of the Leonard trade on draft night a couple years ago.

There old they don't have any euro players overseas that are top prospects and they have a lot of money tied up in LMA.

Worst case scenario is they run it back and win 50+ games this year, I doubt they get to 60.

But they can't win a chip how there constructed.

I love KL but let's be hoesnt the guy is quite and hasn't built many relationships with the elite players in the league.

We can look at this trade bringing cp3 to houston. Harden is friends with everyone he talks and recruits. KL doesn't and maybe if he did cp3 would be there instead of here.

It's going to be very hard moving foward even with cap space next offseason to bring in big time talents. Let's face it SA sucks as a place to live for a rich athlete.

They are going to have a very hard time bringing in to truely elite players.

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

Bru...delete this, at least the bolded part. Keep this for when the free agency will be over, trust me lol

malakas and DreamShook like this.