1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sports by Brooks] Beadle OUT for NBA Countdown

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deuce, Jun 12, 2019.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

My guess is she already has a deal lined up at Fox Sports 1 or anywhere else, could be TNT, could be something non-sports related, but she definitely didn't want to be there anymore.

I actually like her, I know, she's a Rocket hater but she had some funny moments dunking on players and dunking on Paul Pierce.

2. JW86

JW86 Member

Beadle was awful, making that much money for being a b****? Dream job I guess...Nichols is less annoying, awful acting job and scripted robot though. Glad I don’t care for all this stuff, but it’s easy to understand why Americans are dumb if you are presented with this type of “journalism”.

3. King1

King1 Contributing Member

She's garbage

4. Mr 1999

Mr 1999 Member

Aside from her rockets hate, I actually liked beads. I thought she was cute nd peppy.

Dacamel likes this.
  5. SoupTent3

SoupTent3 Member

I was wondering the same thing. Why do mostly women get to host these sports shows? They've already broken the barriers.

6. Mr 1999

Mr 1999 Member

except it's not like that at all. sports is a game and beadle is actually really cute. she has a nice figure for her age.

Dacamel and BigShasta like this.
  7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

WTF?

Der Rabbi likes this.
  8. DreamQuake

DreamQuake Member

I think they should get Zach Lowe on countdown I don’t know if he could do it but he is probably the only guy to get me to consider watching it.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Only if she saved/invested that money. Celebs like athletes, lead exorbitant lifestyles.

10. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Glad that ESPN keeps change the people every two years, at least for the new faces, and TNT keeps the same low IQ people for ten more years, and some people still tell you that that show is the best. Looking for seeing new bloods next season on ESPN, there will be no big difference for whoever, people are going to complain no matter who's in.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The reason TNT is "the best" has nothing to do with analysis. We know that even the best analysis is often wrong in the sports world.

Rather, we are looking for entertainment. From an entertainment perspective, TNT is the best, and ESPN is a snooze-fest.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. TilmanFinancialWindfall

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

BigShasta and J.R. like this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://thebiglead.com/2019/09/06/espn-nba-woj-nba-countdown-zach-lowe-update/

Adrian Wojnarowski will have a big presence on studio coverage. Woj is going to be included in the promotional materials for Countdown and, given that he is based on the East Coast, it is presumable he will appear on many of the shows hosted by Maria Taylor on Fridays and Sundays. He had a presence on the show at the end of last season, but expect to see more of him this year. However, there will not be a set schedule that the NBA scoop machine is nailed down to. As we said previously, Rachel Nichols will be on-site for ABC Saturday Showcase studio shows. Stephen A. Smith is expected to helm coverage on Wednesday nights.

Writer comings, goings, stayings, and movings: Malika Andrews is set to move from Chicago to New York, where she will cover the Knicks and Nets (who added Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant) and also have a general national footprint. Any belief that this is a result of Giannis Antetokounmpo walking out on her question at a press conference would be inaccurate; she will still do some Bucks coverage. Expect her to appear on a lot more television this season, on programs such as Get Up and SportsCenter. In New York, she replaces Ian Begley, who left for SNY where he continues to cover the Knicks.

It is expected that Eric Woodyard, who has covered the Utah Jazz for the Deseret News, will be moving to Chicago to replace Andrews on the midwestern beat (Bulls, Bucks, Pistons, Pacers), but the deal is not yet finalized. ESPN has hired Andrew Lopez away from the Times-Picayune to cover Zion Williamson and the Pelicans.

Zach Lowe’s future with ESPN is up in the air. We reported in July that Lowe is a looming free agent; with under a month until the NBA preseason kicks off, Lowe has not yet signed a new deal with ESPN. Decision-makers at the network really hope to retain him, but there exists a price that is a bridge too far as they continue to practice austerity on talent deals.

The most likely suitor for Lowe is The Athletic. They are believed to have made a substantial offer. Lowe, in deciding between ESPN and The Athletic, must weigh factors like whether and how much he wants to be on television, the extent to which having the widest possible readership for his stories and listenership for his podcasts is important to him, and if he wants the pressure of driving enough subscriptions to justify a seven-figure annual deal.

If he were to make, say, $2 million a year, he’d have to drive over 33,000 subscriptions at the full, second-year rate of $60/year. Now, The Athletic is a bundle and a lot of people come in to read the wide collection of reporters they’ve assembled across all sports and regions, but he’d nonetheless be entering a realm where his work is individually expected to drive tens of thousands of subs.

Nonetheless, The Athletic has given all outward appearances that they are thriving: They announced in Bloomberg that they have over 600,000 subscribers and are gunning for in the neighborhood of a million by the end of this year. Lowe would have some more editorial autonomy there than at ESPN — it’s not like he’s shackled in chains there or anything, but the Mothership has more rigid structures. He has a fascinating decision to make.

Deuce, DreamQuake and BigShasta like this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@J.R. thanks for posting this article. I missed it initially. Some REALLY good stuff in here. And I did not know Lowe's contract situation and that he has a chance to leave. I personally hope he stays. Glad Woj is going to be more on the show. And Maria Taylor getting a look here is WELL deserved.

Malika did A LOT of stanning for Giannis...so I am glad she is being shifted to the NY beat.

LOL that ESPN hired a reporter SPECIFICALLY for the Pelicans beat.

What does Royce Young do now? He can't possibly be ONLY covering the OKC beat now that team is trash.

Amazing that Tim MacMahon is spread so thin in the Texas markets, PLUS Memphis/Denver/Utah. MacMahon is a Dallas guy but he has done well for the Rockets imo so I hope he sticks.

Anyone know who ESPN is going to use specifically to cover the Clippers?

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Beadle on the buyout market!

Yum

[​IMG]

BHannes2BHonest and LFE171 like this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Just a guess that Royce will cover some Rockets games with Tim now that, as you said, OKC is rebuilding.

From TBL article:

Tim Bontemps remains on the East Coast, where he will cover the Celtics, Sixers, and Raptors; he will also have a national footprint.

Ohm Youngmisuk will remain in Los Angeles, but will be picking up a lot more Clippers duties now that they’ve added Kawhi Leonard and Paul George.

Fear not that there will be enough Lakers coverage: Dave McMenamin is still on the beat, and national writers like Ramona Shelburne, Brian Windhorst, and Baxter Holmes are often involved with features.

Nick Friedell will keep covering the Warriors out of the Bay Area; expect to see more of him on The Jump, where he has good chemistry with Rachel Nichols.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That sucks. He has a good personality but his Warriors slurping is insufferable.

Ohm picking up Clippers duties makes sense. Forgot about him.

lilbird20 likes this.