1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker Straus Retires - The Texas Legislature is about to get even more conservative

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by geeimsobored, Oct 25, 2017.

1. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The Speaker of the House, Joe Straus, just announced he's retiring and skipping re-election in 2018. He was probably the last barrier to full tea party rule in Texas and now he's gone. Also the last vestige of the coalition government from 2008 ends with Straus. Democrats have been propping him up since then and ultimately to him it probably wasn't worth the effort anymore. With Straus gone, I expect a Dan Patrick clone to figure out a way to corral a majority in the House.

Really a sad day for Texas. Dan Patrick won faster than I thought. His antics broke Straus quicker than I expected. And its an end of an era for the Texas Legislature. Straus and many of his allies were still representative of a different era of politics. That's out the window now as no Straus ally could ever command a majority (even if they had the support of Democrats).

2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Why would Amazon pick a new HQ in Texas when it's obvious another bathroom bill is coming and the biggest barrier to the last one is deuces?

JuanValdez likes this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

First thing - don't do Kansas.

4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a big blow. Straus was the last barrier between the Tea Party lunatics and total control of government. He's a free market conservative that recognized the danger that the sideshow of social conservatism can do to business in Texas. Now Dan Patrick and his cronies will run wild in the legislature, wasting our time on bills that don't affect the lives, or pocketbooks, of Texans while chasing away industries.

Deckard likes this.
  5. geeimsobored

I dont see how that won't happen now. Property tax caps will be first on the agenda with no alternative revenue to make up for it. And they'll be hard caps with heavy restrictions on local governments abilities to adjust rates. The Franchise Tax will get killed along the way with no alternate revenue for that either. Texas schools are in for a world of pain.

Dan Patrick gets full control of the agenda now. Before he'd pass something and it was 50/50 whether Straus would bring it up (or pass an alternate version that Patrick would reject). Now Patrick gets to pass something and whatever lackey wins the House Speakership will happily push it through.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I only disagree in that the bills will affect the lives of some Texans, and it will be in a negative way each time. Nobody actually benefits from discrimination of or limiting of some subgroup of people, be they trans, women, dark-skinned or whatever. I know you agree with that sentiment, but I'm just saying these back-sliding social conservative bills have real effects, even if it's just to disenfranchise, depress, and incite.

Sad for my beloved home planet.

7. Buck Turgidson

This is ****ing terrible.

8. geeimsobored

In three years, Patrick went from being a sideshow in the Senate (where the Democrats could still filibuster any legislation) to being more powerful than the governor. What an odd series of events.

From 2008-2010, Democrats were part of a governing coalition in the House and held half the committee chairs and had majorities on several important committees. In combination with the 15 or so Straus allies, they had the upper hand in the House and they had a permanent veto in the Senate.

Now Democrats will officially be in a near permanent minority for the forseeable future with little to no effect on legislation. Straus largely kept up some of the terms of the coalition including giving Democrats some prominent committee chairs even after they lost dozens of seats. I expect the new Speaker to strip most of that away from Democrats and reduce them to a largely irrelevant minority in the House like they are in the Senate now.

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

True, I could've phrased my statement better. I should've said "the vast majority of Texans" because there will be minorities, whose existence has no bearing on the daily life of the majority of Texans, targeted by Patrick. However, it's this majority that keeps getting fooled into thinking that somehow granting any amount of dignity and respect to minority Texans goes against the interests of the state.

If a company like Amazon bypasses this state for their second headquarters specifically because of the legislation that a Patrick crony will push, these "values voters" will reap the benefits of lower tax revenue. The vicious cycle of modern conservatism - expecting first-world schools, roads and healthcare, but refusing to pay for any of it - will continue and those who vote for any warm body with an (R) next to their name will continue to compound their cognitive dissonance.

B-Bob likes this.
  10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Goddamit. He saved our asses last summer (though to @Brando2101's point, Patrick probably cost us any serious consideration for HQ2 before it was even on the table).

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This is like economics. The consumer is getting what they want.

I'm not an economist, but I play one as a conservative on internet forums.

12. JuanValdez

In a market, the people who want red shoes get red shoes, the people who want black shoes get black shoes, and the people who want brown shoes get brown shoes. In this political market, everyone gets red shoes because 35% of everyone wants red shoes even though the other 65% know red shoes are stupid and dangerous and you'd have to be an effin' moron to want red shoes. So, it's a little different.

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

MOAR with this analogy please. Bend it 'til it breaks. ... Or until you've worn holes in the soles.

14. Invisible Fan

Red shoes won fair n square! You're defying the will of the people with your fancy name calling and professorial words.

15. JuanValdez

I refrained from quoting de Tocqueville at least.

16. Buck Turgidson

Triumph of the Will, huh? ;)

17. Invisible Fan

They don't take too kindly to the French in the Federalist.

18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I didn't want brown shoes anyway, because...

Deckard likes this.
  19. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Would be the first time since 2002 if they can pull it out:

Andre0087 likes this.