1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

South Carolina cop charged with murder in black man's death

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheRealist137, Apr 7, 2015.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I've thought about this and I want to take a more serious tone with my response.

I'm a truly sorry Anas acuta that your father couldn't show you love. It complicates things for men when they grow up and only knew their father as a source of dollars because their father was either too cold, not present, etc. I see now that you likely didn't have a loving role model and instead saw your father as a source of only money and potentially discipline. Perhaps that is why you've grown up to be so callous to other people seeing their family members gunned down in the back while running away.

It's not your fault Anas Acuta.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Anus is really brave coming in here. I give him props for not backing down from his cowardly and moronic stances on use of force by officers. The people he "protects" on a daily basis should be happy to have him. Thank God They aren't Houstonians.

3. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

I've said it earlier in this thread; I didn't agree with shooting him in the back when he's that far away. He was clearly trying to get away.

The fact that the officer was tased does add another element to this. The officer's attorney is going to make that point clear.

The man had shown he didn't care and was dangerous. However, shooting him in the back was not the right call in this case, and I bet the officer would agree with me.

Based on the South Carolina homicide statute:

There is no way in hell this officer gets convicted of murder.

4. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Yeah that anus character is a tool and gives a bad name to all law enforcement. Let's not forget that Scott was actively engaged in his children's lives. All family members have said so.

5. Scarface281

Man I hate that, but then again, I don't really trust some coworkers with the coffee. A couple of days ago, the coffee came out light brown. Me and another coworker were both like wtf, why does it look like this. Turns out, some idiot thought it would be a good idea to put creamee into the coffee and let it brew together. Smh.

6. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Here is where your bias clearly shows. You accept the officer's statement as "fact."

7. Scarface281

I wonder how many others would have done the same if there was no video?

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You might be a well intentioned simpleton, but your ignorance is starting to become tiresome. I don't even feel like spelling things out for you anymore, so feel free to believe whatever you want to believe, you've killed whatever credibility you might have had and pissed away any respect I may have had for your opinion up to this point.

I don't fault you for not being an intelligent person, I just wish you'd be self-aware enough to realize that you aren't an intelligent person so that you might keep your mouth shut more often. There's nothing worse than loud and dumb.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If I was on the jury I'd vote to convict him of murder, you shoot a man 8 times in the back, you did so with malice. Gunning down a fleeing man that was no threat whatsoever is a malicious act in itself. This cop should fry IMO.

10. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Discussion point.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think that once the evidence came out that the man was shot in the back multiple times from ever increasing distances that there wouldn't be many supporting the cop anymore. Even if they bought the planted evidence of the spent taser it wouldn't be enough to make up for the fact that the man wasn't a danger to anyone and that he was shot in the back while running away. This case was always pretty much a slam dunk even without the video, the video just makes it to where no one has to wait for forensic and autopsy results to get back.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I had thought so initially too, but I flipped on that. I think the forensics would be very strong evidence and it'd certainly go to trial and all that. But, the cop would get a good lawyer who would throw up complicating factors and a jury would have a hard time convicting a policeman for committing what would look like a random and inexplicable act of violence on something interpreted like the testimony of an expert. There's enough space to create plausible deniability that people inclined to side with police can rationalize a way to not having enough evidence to convict. The video destroys that space for plausible deniability. The case is a slam dunk with the video, but without it I think it's a toss-up.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This is why I firmly beleive
    THERE ARE NO GOOD COPS . . .because even the so call GOOD COPS still coverup for the 'BAD' COPS

Complicit by acceptance/Tolerance at the very least

Rocket River

14. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Sad, but true in the majority of cases.
    Blowback from not having another cops back is a mf.

15. Nook

Nook Member

This is what I am thinking as well...... he clearly has been indoctrinated with some very interesting theories.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yeah now that you guys have said that, it does seem to fit more with his rhetoric.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Plymouth Rock landed on him.

18. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">JUST IN: South Carolina police officer indicted in fatal shooting of unarmed man <a href="http://t.co/jAT92OaLi3">http://t.co/jAT92OaLi3</a> <a href="http://t.co/CEKIAPSslF">pic.twitter.com/CEKIAPSslF</a></p>&mdash; NBC Nightly News (@NBCNightlyNews) <a href="https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/607932110955900928">June 8, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Good.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

More news on this front.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...ndling-cop-shooting-national-model?source=rss

Attorneys: City handling of police shooting a national model

NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — North Charleston, South Carolina, did not erupt in violence — as other cities in similar circumstances did — after a white police officer fatally shot an unarmed black man.

Attorneys for both the city and the family say that is because of the quick actions both sides took to preserve the peace and to come to an agreement.

The results of those efforts: The North Charleston City Council unanimously approved a $6.5 million settlement Thursday with the family of Walter Scott. Scott, 50, was shot April 4 by North Charleston police officer Michael Slager.

A bystander captured the shooting in a dramatic cellphone video that showed Slager firing eight times as Scott ran. The shooting inflamed the national debate about how blacks are treated by law officers.

Immediately after the video became public, Scott's family called for calm. And within days, North Charleston Mayor Keith Summey contacted the family about reaching a settlement. Attorneys worked on the settlement for months before the measure was brought before the city council, which voted 10-0 in favor of it Thursday.

"People mention Baltimore. People mention Ferguson. People mention New York," North Charleston City Attorney Brady Hair said, noting places where violence broke out when blacks died after encounters with police officers. "What's different here is there were no acts of violence. There were no buildings burned."

"None of us did anything to escalate this into an uncontrolled environment," he said. "It is a different template from what you have seen around the country."

Chris Stewart, an attorney for the Scott family, agreed with Hair that the actions taken by both sides have been "almost a blueprint of how these situations should be handled."

"Governments are listening now and they are not tolerating this type of behavior," Stewart said.

Mayor Keith Summey said he was pleased with the settlement.

"The family took steps to keep the community calm, and for that the city is thankful," he said. "This is a very difficult period for the Scott family. I know they are glad to have this part behind them so their healing process can continue."

The mayor said that since the shooting, North Charleston police have been outfitted with body cameras. Slager was not wearing one. Summey also noted the police department will be working with a division of the Department of Justice that helps local communities resolve issues involving race, color, national origin or gender.

Slager was indicted on a murder charge in June and a judge has since refused to set bond, saying his release would "constitute an unreasonable danger to the community. The officer also was fired after his arrest on the murder charges and has been detained in solitary confinement.

Hair said that within days of the shooting, Summey met with the Scott family and their attorneys. Hair said both sides felt that it was in everyone's best interest to reach a resolution and avoid a lawsuit.

"We knew we had a police officer charged with murder. We have a video tape that quite frankly might be the most played video tape in the history of modern media," he said. "It was played all day, every day around the world, so from our perspective the city had great exposure. The city also wanted to do the right thing by the family and for its citizens."

Stewart said a number of issues had to be considered in reaching the $6.5 million figure. Noting that North Charleston is no New York, he remarked, "There is no way this city could pay $50 million." He said attorneys also had to consider the damage that a drawn-out legal battle might do to the city and its residents.

Hair said the $6.5 million represents the largest settlement for such a case in the state's history.

Before the video was brought to the attention of authorities, Slager had told investigators that Scott tried to grab his gun and Taser. But prosecutor Scarlett Wilson said Scott was running away and the only time Slager could be seen running was to go back, pick up the Taser and then drop it by Scott's body.

"We have seen that incidents like this have happened across the country and we've seen how those situations have been handled," said Justin Bamberg, a state representative and an attorney who represents the Scott family. "I truly believe ... we have set a prototype, a standard for how these types of situations can be handled."

He said such cases need to be resolved by reaching common ground.

"When you keep faith and respect one another and you don't go to your corner based on whether you are black or white or rich or poor, things can work out," he said.