1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Raiders preparing to go after Jon Gruden

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Dec 30, 2017.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

In terms of play on the field it was a setback year, but he's a young talented QB with plenty of upside and time ahead of him.

Picking a has-been coach over your is-now QB like that is just dumb.

2. texian

texian Member

[​IMG]

#22 texian, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    Nook likes this.
  3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

10 years 100 mil? That makes no sense. This guy isn't
    belichick or Saban

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Gruden is overrated, but Wade Phillips is 1-6 in the postseason, and his teams always went into decline after a couple of years.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Hey..... he won a Super Bowl 15+ years ago.

He seemed more of a Texans hire.........7-9, 5-11, 11-5, 4-12, 9-7, 9-7 his last 6 years..... 4 games under .500%.

J.R. likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You hate every coach though.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Do I? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

Better them than us. They may be good next season just because they are a good team with good players but I don’t think he deserved that contract.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

i could see this backfiring. Gruden hasn't been coaching in a decade and now he warrants a $100 million dollar contract over 10 years? I feel like being out of the game and commentating has made Gruden soft. He compliments every player now. Can he regain his edge? He will have to if he wants to succeed. Not to mention that strategy is way different nowadays compared to when he last coached.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

This will end well.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Are you liking the move to Vegas?

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Raider Nation, this is a big f'in deal. - Mark Davis

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If that's ALL he said. But finished it with "NEXT". Then went to his beloved Panda Express. He's a hero.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

When did this get serious?

Mark & I have been friends long time. Last 6-7 years we've talked about the Raiders, not necessarily about becoming coach but improving the Raiders. He came to me a few weeks ago & asked if I had intentions of coaching. With support of my family, I said yes I do. Here I am. I don't have a solid explanation other than that.

I'm sure you've had offers pretty much every year. Why now?

In my heart, I feel this is the thing to do. The organization I want to be a part of. I'm all in. This is something I feel deeply, strongly about. I'm gonna do everything to hire a great coaching staff & put the Raiders back on track.

Once you made that decision, were you diagramming plays in your head? Emotions once you made the decision?

Reality is I haven't changed much since 1998. I'm not a deep, philosophical person. I'm ready to roll. I need another challenge. I know I have a lot to prove & eager to prove I can do it. Yeah, I've been thinking of a lot of plays. When I met Derek this morning, I thought of a few more.

Do you still have the energy & passion?

So far I do, yes I do. My wife & kids can attest to that. Work ethic is a big part of anyone's success. Any success I've had starts with the drive, the excitement of getting up, helping a team/player improve. My schedule hasn't changed, it really hasn't.

Talk about Derek Carr's maturation.

Feelings are similar (from Gruden's QB camp). Great arm talent, athletic, natural leadership, in his prime, healthy now, not a lot of continuity around him. Huge upside. System we'll put in will demand a lot & that will unlock the greatness in him. Excited to have him as our QB.

How has the game changed in your opinion? How much will you have to adjust?

What has changed is the CBA, the way we practice, conduct ourselves in the offseason, rules/player safety has changed, I pay close attention to it. I have a lot to prove, no question. Haven't coached or won a game since 2008. I want to keep that in perspective. I have to hire a great coaching staff. It's about the people & staff. With that said, I have a lot to prove, I know that but the game is decided between the lines. We have to adapt every year.

Most important thing you've learned from the other side?

Seen every facility in the league, how they practice, conduct training camps, gotten a chance to study offenses/defense. I'm more big picture now than in the past but I want to still be detailed on how we play offense & move the football. I've had unique opportunities as a broadcaster.

How much will you be involved in personnel decisions?

We'll work together. We come from the same tree in Green Bay. We have a similar viewpoint in what kind of players we're looking for. It has to be a collaborative effort. We have to work together. That's the great thing about being here. We'll be united & work hard.

Reggie: It's a team effort. Raider decision, bottom line. We'll work great together.

How different will your 2018 offense be?

Offense in Tampa was different than the one we ran in Oakland. We have to look at our roster. A lot of things need to be determined. You need one adaptable, versatile. We need to get through today, lock the door & get to work.

Terms of this deal are 10 years, $100M. Is that close to accurate?

I don't have a guarantee to be alive for 10 years. Mark told me we aren't getting ownership. I don't know the terms. This year, I'll be coaching in Oakland. Next year, I'll be coaching in Oakland. I want to help deliver the best football team for the people of Oakland. How long I stay will be determined by how well we play.

Expectations with that contract.

I know there's a big bulls-eye on my chest. I've dealt with pressure before. I don't feel pressure. I love the excitement & thrill of competing. I can't worry about things I can't control. People will want to step on me & beat me.

Biggest need for improvement?

They started fast. I'm not here today to tell you I have all the answers right now. We have to solve the problems. We didn't finish well. There were a lot of things that went wrong. You can't solve all the problems today. We have to come up with a plan to put the Raiders back on track.

What would you prefer to tackle first?

We have to improve in all areas. The way we practice, meet & play. We have to improve our roster. Draft will be a big part. What is available in FA? That will be determined down the road. We have to improve every area & it starts with me.

Las Vegas move?

Mark can talk about the move. I'm a short-term goal oriented coach. Big reason I'm here is my passion for Oakland.

Any concern that your same in-your-face coaching style might not jive with today's player?

We have 50 ex-Oakland players here today. They didn't mind it. I don't know what my reputation is. There's some great clips of me swearing & screaming. I was also the biggest cheerleader. I get excited when we make a play, a first down, when we win. I get upset when we don't. I hope that still has a place in the NFL. That's how this organization rolls. If you're not winning, you're not gonna be happy. I hope that's part of every team in the league.

What did you see from Carr this year? Will you call plays?

Still evaluating the tape. Just got in last night. He got hurt early in the season. 3 broken bones in his back. That's a reasonable reason why you might not have the same season as before. Yes, I intend to call the plays. I like being with the QBs, calling plays. Someone called me insane. That's probably right. I have a different mentality than most.

Lincoln Kennedy said the anthem protest affected the team mentally. How do you fix that?

I'm gonna look into all that. I'm not aware of that subject.

Would you have issue with players protesting during anthem? Mark, you said this is the biggest dream of your life to bring Jon back, why?

When my father passed away, first press conference, I told everyone the one thing I know is what I don't know & will surround myself with the people who do know those things. My vision was Gruden to coach & Reggie to bring in talent. It took me 6 years of chasing Jon but every trip to Tampa & saw the work Jon does everyday at 3am in the morning, how much he enjoys it, that passion never waned. I continually tried to convince him he's wasting his time teaching everyone how to play football. He should come back & do it in the NFL & if so, with the Raiders. It is the biggest day of my life right now to have him here to run this organization. I'm excited.

Prospect of working with a young QB?

Very exciting. Huge ceiling for Derek Carr. He's proven that. It's up to us as a staff to improve around him, come up with an offense that allows him to soar to another level.

Charles Woodson: No trade clause in your deal?

You're gonna wanna make me go home. There is a no trade clause. It means the world to me you're all here. You're all welcome here. I want you guys to be a part of this organization. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your attendance. There's a lot of young players out there that have untapped potential. We have to tap it as soon as they walk in these doors & I need your help. Thank you guys for being here.

Message to Raider Nation as a whole?

I'm glad to be back & unite with them. I never wanted to leave. I'm thrilled to be back & will do everything I can with this opportunity. Let's go man! Let's get going, stop talking here & get to work.

Policy on twitter, snapchat, etc.?

That's what changed. Technology has changed. It's incredible. I talk to my kids about all that stuff. We'll have conversations about it. You have to monitor it. You have to be careful what you read, what you post. No different than talking into a microphone. You're responsible for your actions.

Impression on roster you're inheriting & expectations for next season?

Probably not the time for that kind of question. I'm not gonna make any predictions. We will get what we deserve.

If Marshawn Lynch wants to come back, do you see him fitting in?

Never met him, even as a broadcaster. Anxious to sit down with him & meet him. We'll talk about his future. He came back to the Raiders for similar reasons I did. He loves Oakland & the Raiders. Interested in talking to him.

Reggie, did you satisfy the Rooney rule?

I did. 2 minorities, Bobby Johnson & Tee Martin(USC).

Mark, contract structure?

It's interesting. The NFL has a salary cap for players & it's competitive. One big difference is the front office/coaching staff. There is no cap there. For 6 years, he was who I wanted to lead this team. Money doesn't come into play & never came into our conversations. I'm comfortable with the way the contract is set up.

Do you feel you have unfinished business here?

There is. As a coach, I was traded, I've been fired, I've missed the game but I really missed the Raiders. I'm so thrilled to be back. I hope people understand the emotion inside of me. I feel unfinished business, loyalty & responsibility to get the Raiders going again. I'm gonna do everything I can help this team get right again.

Long time to consider your coaching staff. Detail your choices?

Can't just go get the guys you want. Over the years, I've always tried to keep a close group of friends & people I highly respect on red alert in case an opportunity arised.

What's going through your head as you're preparing to announce Saturday?

I was split pretty good. I love the AFC West, the natural rivalries. I was split. My juices got going when Chiefs fans started taunting me.

Hoping for this moment?

Deep down I probably was. Timing is right, nothing to do with the contract. I want to be a part of the Raiders & finish my coaching career here.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Gruden has fired GM Reggie McKenzie

Raiders fired GM Reggie McKenzie. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports McKenzie was given the option to say on the rest of the season, but he decided to walk away now. Despite Jon Gruden saying all of the right things when he was hired, this pairing never seemed likely to last. Now Gruden will have the opportunity to build the front office and scouting departments in his image. As for McKenzie, it was not always smooth sailing, but his 2014 (Khalil Mack, Derek Carr) and 2015 drafts (Amari Cooper) landed three premier players -- two of which were traded away this year seemingly with little input from McKenzie -- and set up Oakland's surprising 12-4 run through the 2016 season. It is possible he lands another high-profile job in the near future.

tinman likes this.
  17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Gruden has a stranglehold on the Raiders franchise. If they succeed he will get ALL the credit, but if he fails this guy may never get hired in the NFL ever again. Still, he has a cushy job and will get paid obscene amounts even if he is a complete failure.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Failure. Was there ever any doubt?

[​IMG]

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's always got a fallback option as an analyst.... a job he was more than comfortable sticking with had the Raiders not completely insanely overpaid for him.

Most people foresaw him using this year, and possibly next, to revamp the roster in his vision. He certainly has a ton of draft picks to either acquire a whole new roster or make trades for established stars or even higher picks.

The questions about whether the game has passed him by still remain... but with as much invested in him as the Raiders have, its worth it to see if he can build a successful team under his vision, vs. guiding somebody else's blueprint.

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

It's almost as if Gruden has been directed by Davis to tank the franchise and lose as many Oakland fans as possible so that the city becomes apathetic to their move. Could you imagine Oakland being a SB contender and then moving to Las Vegas? It would be pretty crushing for the city of Oakland and a lot of people would be angry and hurt. It's better to become a laughing stock franchise when you move away.