1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Nike studying why LeBron James' jersey split down middle in opener

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by don grahamleone, Oct 19, 2017.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Sources: Nike studying why LeBron James' jersey split down middle in opener
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...g-why-lebron-james-jersey-split-middle-opener

Nike officials spent much of Wednesday investigating a wardrobe malfunction on its highest-paid active NBA player spokesman.

Although Nike officials declined to publicly comment, sources told ESPN that executives with the shoe and apparel giant were extensively reviewing why the back of LeBron James' jersey split down the middle on Tuesday night.

[​IMG]

When Boston Celtics guard Jaylen Brown grabbed at James' jersey while defending him, the jersey tore, separating the Nos. 2 and 3 on the back of hisCleveland Cavaliers uniform. The NBA's Last 2 Minute report, issued Wednesday evening, said that Brown should have been called for a foul on the play.

The NBA jerseys were being worn for the first time in a regular-season game, as Nike outbid Adidas to win the rights to be the league's official uniform supplier. The company signed an eight-year deal that sources say is worth approximately $1 billion.

The incident is drawing more eyeballs because it's the second time a Nike NBA jersey tore. In the preseason opener on Oct. 1, Los Angeles Lakers guard Tyler Ennis had his jersey ripped, and the 0 in his No. 10 uniform was left hanging.

Nike doesn't bear sole responsibility for the making of the jersey. While the company makes the materials and provides blank uniforms to the squads, it often is the team's responsibility to find a vendor to custom-stitch the names and numbers on the official jerseys.

This summer, Nike boasted its NBA jerseys would wick sweat 30 percent faster than the previous jerseys made by Adidas, thanks to a product it calls Alpha Yarns and recycled polyester.

It wasn't a completely new fabrication. The company used jerseys of a similar makeup for last year's Summer Olympics in Brazil and with some select college basketball teams during last season with no issues.

James' torn jersey itself, which was being looked at to find any unforeseen issues, is being auctioned by the NBA, along with other jerseys from opening night, with the proceeds going to hurricane-relief efforts. As of 7 p.m. ET Wednesday, bidding was at $7,960. The auction closes on Oct. 26.

James has a lifetime deal with Nike that is expected to be worth at least $1 billion. He wore his 15th Nike signature shoe for the first time in a regular-season game in Tuesday night's 102-99 win over the Celtics.

Shoe and apparel malfunctions are not common, though three players -- Manu Ginobili, Andrew Bogut and Tony Wroten -- had their Nike shoes come apart during games in 2014.

___

Nike is considering doing what James Harden has already paved the way to do and joining Adidas.

2. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Knifed in the back by Dan Gilbert?

3. RCKTBachar

RCKTBachar Member

Simple, Bron is about 10lbs overweight and moved like it too.

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. malakas

malakas Member

As they should. It's a very bad look and telling of the awful quality to have two of their jerseys rip already.

don grahamleone, BigMaloe and hvic like this.
  5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Looks bad for Nike, but probably better for the players.

There is a **** ton of jersey grabbing in the NBA.

6. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Let me help you Nike:

Your products are made with hate in every stitch.

Hate for the bearded one:p

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

BUT BUT BUT IT'S MADE OF REVOLUTIONARY ALPHA YARNS AND RECYCLED POLYESTER! lol

Amazing how these companies can flat out make **** up, and people buy into it. These clothes are almost literally made from plastic garbage at this point and the fact that are not durable is a hallmark of the Nike brand in my experience.

BleedsRocketRed, DudeWah and malakas like this.
  8. chonox

chonox Member

If I was Nike marketing manager I would have sold it as revolutionary technology to help refs identify excessive amounts of force from defenders grabbing jerseys.

"Each FOUL ASSIST (TM) stitch has been carefully engineered to tear at the exact amount of force deemed to be excessive and warrant a foul in order to assist our referees for a fairer game in today's game of unprecedented athleticism, pace and speed from our NBA athletes."

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Needed Saskatchewan seal skin bindings

Sincerely,
    [​IMG]

Rocket River

macho GRANDE likes this.
  10. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Wait, please tell me you’re in marketing?

macho GRANDE and don grahamleone like this.
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Little known hack... if that happened to a jersey (or shoe, or whatever) you purchased, Nike would take it back and send you full credit (sometimes for more than you paid) so long as it happened within 2 years of purchase. Pretty easy process too.

Sadboy and don grahamleone like this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Good thing Harden shed some weight this offseason or the GARM assassins would be having a field day.

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Alpha Yarn lmao.. more like snake oil yarn

14. OTMax

OTMax Member

Funny how the first time it ripped it was all silence, now it happens to the King and they come out with this..won't be buying any jersey until Rockets change theirs anyway so don't care really, but pretty sad how poor their start has been.

BigShasta likes this.
  15. don grahamleone

Bwhahahaha "hate in every stitch" haha. You killed me over here.

DonKnock likes this.
  16. don grahamleone

Do you need the receipt?

17. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

it's not that hard Nike. stop making cheap ****

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

No... I sent in a pair of shoes I bought on sale for just over $100-ish about a week before the 2-year deadline. The sole was peeling off at the front a little. I never even wore these shoes anymore, they'd been through a LOT. I had no receipt. They not only accepted the return, they credited me for the original retail price of $200 even though they my email + contact info + purchase history was in their database and associated with that shoe at the discounted price.

Common reasons for return are soles that peel, air bubbles that pop and clothing that rips. If it's defective they'll stand by it.

19. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Roids. Back roids

BigShasta likes this.