1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: DeAndre Jordan eyeing Rockets - will come at discount if Clint Leaves

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Dec 20, 2017.

1. s3ts

s3ts Member

What will be really really great if Deandre came here,

is CP and Harden would average more assists with the lobs. Capela is already thriving with them, but this can add 3-4 more assists per game to CP and Harden.

Also, Deandre doesn't have to put up with Austin Rivers or whatever other player who can't pass well. He's got an elite PG getting him the ball anytime he's on the court.

2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Stats don’t tel the whole story sure. That’s why I have consistently said DJ is a better defender clearly.

He’s also the better rebounder.

He also sets a better screen.

But Capela is better offensively. He’s smarter and more fluid handling the ball and passing out of the PnR. He’s a better roller and he’s quicker both out of sets and in transition.

Yes his age is a factor. Tf?

If our window is 3-4 Years would you rather have DeAndre at 33 in year 3 of our window or capela at 27 when our main 2 superstars are reaching the tail end of their careers?

You plan for absolutely right now and the next couple of years.

They have been quoted as saying we have a 5 year window with this core. In 5 Years cp3 will be limited and harden will be trending down. DeAndre will be useless and out of athleticism by then meanwhile capela would be in his prime.

Capela for this team and our window >>> DeAndre
    This is ridiculous.

Absolutely DeAndre is a better rebounder. He’s one of the very best in the league, top 3.

But capela is elite himself and a top end rebounder himself.

Everyone is confusing physicality with skill.

Capela still has growing to do, absolutely, but hats not a bad thing. At all.... DeAndre is as good as he ever will be and he is starting his downward trajectory

#382 BigMaloe, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    HakeemOnlyFan, Reeko and DonKnock like this.
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jordan's incredibly low, dwindling shot-blocking numbers are highly concerning. Reminds me of when Serge Ibaka fell off a cliff.

1.1 blocks PER36 this year. Clint is at 2.5 blocks PER36.

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

That’s pretty norm for shot blockers.

Teams learn pretty quickly not to challenge them.

I would be more concerned with shooting % in paint with DJ in.

If that’s moving the wrong direction then it’s a problem.

DonKnock likes this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He seems less explosive with the weight gain. Might need to drop about 15... It gets to the point where you hit a plateau and there's no basketball benefit to packing on more pounds.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rather have Clint with Noel and Nene backing him up than older DJ with even older Nene backing up.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't remember that being the norm for Dream, or Deke, or Yao, or Wilt, or Bill, or Alonzo, etc.

DeAndre is DeClining.

8. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

Both bolded parts i have to disagree with you there. He is clearly not smarter and actually could be one of the stupider centers in the league but that will change with experience for sure. He does take nice jumps yearly with his overall awareness. He for sure isnt a better roller. DJ on his screens eliminates the screener capela always rolls to quickly or to slowly. Meaning if he does get a good screen he is late to the basket, and if he rolls quickly he doesent set his screen properly.

Now about our window. Would you rather have capela as our second star next to JH at 27 paying him max or do a complete rebuild when paul and DJs careers are declining 3-4 years from now? Capela Is completely dependent on the play of the players around him and centers in this day age IMO arent as valuable as wings and guards. He will get paid THIS summer no doubt, and to resign him we will probably have to match a max. Give that money to PG or Lebron and go with DJ its a no doubter.

The last point i would like to make is him being the best asset on the market if we were to put him on the block, the brooklyn pick not included. So IMO we can either use him to 1. get rid of ryno 2. get DJ. If we can kill 2 bird with one stone i think DM would have to do it.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  9. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I’ve admitted I believe DJ is a better screener but he is not a better roller.

They both roll to the basket hard and can jump extremely high for the lob.

The difference is during the roll, capela is smart enough to locate shooters and pass out if that’s what the defense gives him.

Another example is of the rotation comes over correctly and sets position for a charge he has shown the ability to put the ball down and drive or euro step around and finish.

DeAndre does not possess these traits during the roll. Which is why I agree DJ is the better screener but not the better roll man.

Also, defensively DJ is much smarter and has a higher defensive IQ.

Offensively tho, capela is Much smarter and has a higher offensive IQ. I think we can all picture cp3 jumping up and down shouting at DJ and trying to steal the ball from him, his own teammate, to shoot.

Also, the bolded part makes me believe your not much of a rockets fan; or your _holics backup account.

[wuote]Now about our window. Would you rather have capela as our second star next to JH at 27 paying him max or do a complete rebuild when paul and DJs careers are declining 3-4 years from now? Capela Is completely dependent on the play of the players around him and centers in this day age IMO arent as valuable as wings and guards. He will get paid THIS summer no doubt, and to resign him we will probably have to match a max. Give that money to PG or Lebron and go with DJ its a no doubter.[/quote]
    Capela, because even at max in 4-5 Years he would be a valuable asset and a primo trade piece for the eventual rebuild. Easy, choice.

Using him to get rid of ryno is stupid. That’s losing 2 valuable starters to this team trying to win. Flexibility is not more important than talent when your a top end contender. That’s just ludicrously dumb.

10. Jimmy Chitwood

Has this happened yet?

11. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Whelp, DeAndre Jordan just went down with a knee/ankle injury. Prepare to pay Capella the max next season if it's serious.

12. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

It wasn’t that bad. Prob a ankle strain maybe 2 weeks off. But he when he landed and twisted his ankle it help that he didn’t put all the pressure on it and bounced on the other. He could have broken his ankle if he put all the pressure when he landed on that high jump

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nothing Rockets related/specific but some DeAndre/DeMarcus talk...

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=22062972

Windhorst:
    They(Cavs) are talking to the Clippers. Clippers will do something here to pivot, either trade DeAndre or give Lou Williams a contract extension. They have to pick a direction here. I feel like they're on the verge of doing something. Whatever that is, we'll have clarity about their short-term future.

Getting DeAndre doesn't help them(Cavs) against the Warriors. ... Their best rim protector is #23. If they're gonna cash in the Brooklyn pick, it better be for a high level wing player you can insert in there & enable LeBron not have to deal with Durant, Curry, Draymond and stick him on Iguodala, Pachulia or Jordan Bell & let him play defensive center. That's what their strategy should be.

Who is that guy?

2 guys I would look at: Kent Bazemore(not giving the Brooklyn pick), he's one of the top 5 defensive SGs according to RPM. He ebbs & flows with his shot but I'd like to have him on my team. I think he'd help against Golden State. This guy isn't great defensively but if I'm using the Brooklyn pick (this is my suggestion, I'm not reporting this), I'd call Portland & ask what it'd take to get C.J. McCollum. If you're gonna give up the Brooklyn pick, you need a player who is dynamic & you control for awhile.

Some believe DeAndre is not opting out of that contract because the market will be weak for him & he'll opt in no matter what. There are certain teams that believe that the Clippers talks with DeAndre Jordan are to lay the groundwork to trade him when he picks up his option. Teams don't believe he'll opt out.

Brooklyn pick, as of this moment, it would be the 8th pick. You'd say that's not good, Cavs are idiots, Ainge wins again, har har har! Trust me, I've heard it. Then you'd say, you know, they're only 2 wins away from it being the 11th pick. Cavs are a bunch of freakin' idiots! What people don't understand unless you're following the bottom end of the standings, the Nets are only 2 games away from it being the 3rd pick. You're looking at these college players, yeah, it could be the 11th pick & want to cash it in now but the Nets are a bad 10 days away from having the 3rd pick. ... That Brooklyn pick can go either way.

Brandon Lowe: Pelicans are what they are. 8 or 9 seed & get immediately removed in 4 games. They should be sellers. It's time to make moves.

Boogie on the block?

Not even just Boogie. You need to be listening for calls on The Brow. What are you doing? I don't know that free agents are salivating & running to New Orleans to play with AD. Where are you going? You need to start from scratch. Get rid of AD now. His stock will never be higher. Not that he'll get worse but I don't think he has a next level to get to & a large part of that is he's injured every 4-5 games.

Windhorst: Take the AD thing out. What is the real decision with Boogie?

MacMahon: Are you really gonna go all in to sign him?

Windhorst: That's exactly right. Do you as an organization, same if you're trading for him, can you invest $175M in him? That's what he'll want from the Pelicans. One of the worst kept secrets is the Cuban & the Mavs are interested in him.

MacMahon: I am told that absolutely not and that is why I believe it. I think I'm getting smoke blown right up my rear end on that one. There was a time when they were transparent about it. This is when he was repped by Dan Fegan. They had his brother on the Texas Legends for a whole year. Every time I ask, "No way, no way, no." I'm like okay, you're lying through your teeth. Headline will be 'Sources are probably blowing smoke up my butt by shooting that down.'

Windhorst: If he's gonna get at least one other outside max offer, he knows to stay put, he's gonna want the full 5-year boat, $175M. If the answer is no, you have 3 weeks to trade him. ... You either feel good paying him $175M or not. I don't think the Pelicans would want to make a trade that would dump the season. They'd want pieces to help them. What trade could Dallas offer in the next month?

MacMahon: If they're giving up their pick, they're completely insane. Obviously Nerlens. Dirk is untouchable by contract & legend. They'd throw Wes in for sure. Wes & Nerlens. If you're New Orleans...? What's the value for Boogie on the trade market when it's a rental & has to get paid this summer? Wes & Nerlens? I don't know.

MacMahon: I have not heard about Boogie being a problem with the Pelicans. Sacramento, you have a chicken & egg situation there.

Windhorst: Real world stuff: If you're a GM & make this trade, you may be signing your firing papers. For you to bring him in, you have to be sure. I don't see Cousins as a Heat player but Zach Lowe brought up Miami as a possible destination. They have their own pieces they wouldn't mind getting rid of. Hassan Whiteside they would move right now.

MacMahon: If you're New Orleans, would you do Whiteside for Boogie?

Windhorst: I wouldn't but may listen on some other Heat pieces. ... ... I'm gonna make up a trade: How about Wes Matthews & Dwight Powell?

MacMahon: I think they'd love to give you Nerlens Noel.

Windhorst: No, I said Dwight Powell.

MacMahon: They like Dwight here. Dirk loves Dwight Powell. They're extremely tight.

Windhorst: Stretch 4, fits next to AD.

MacMahon: No. Dwight is not a stretch 4. No.

Han: I'd like to see the Brooklyn pick for Boogie.

Windhorst: No way. ... (Defensive RPM)Who do you think ranks higher as a center, Boogie or DeAndre?

MacMahon: Don't tell me it's Boogie.

Windhorst: By like 8 or 9 spots.

MacMahon: Defensive effort wanes with Boogie sometimes. As great as he is offensively, he's a turnover machine.

Windhorst: Andrew, they can't trade that pick for Boogie.

Han: If the Cavs have to make a trade & the point is to beat the Warriors, there's just a handful of players...they're not scared of anyone but their eyebrows raise when they come in & Boogie is one of those guys. Boogie would get Draymond into foul trouble immediately.

Windhorst: It makes sense in a laboratory but the circumstances around it...

Han: Did you say laboratory because I'm Asian?

BLowe: When you say circumstances, are you saying him being a rental or other...?

Windhorst: Everything. Using your most prized asset on him, who's a risk player, one-year contract, 2nd youngest GM in the league, he's a volatile personality. There are situations you could give me where it makes sense where Cuban or Riley or Donnie Nelson's butt isn't on the line because they stuck their neck out betting on DeMarcus Cousins. Cleveland is not one of them.

MacMahon: If they(Mavs) do want Boogie, why trade for him? Unless they're motivated to move off Wes' contract.

Windhorst: If the Pelicans keep him past February 8th, then they're offering him $175M & he's gonna take it. How else am I supposed to read it?

MacMahon: Or you get crappy offers you don't want to do.

Windhorst: I think you take any offer.

MacMahon: Say it is Dwight Powell & Wes Matthews, maybe the Pelicans say Wes almost certainly opts in for $18M next year, Dwight has 2 years left on a 4-year, $37M deal, why not just take cap space instead of those 2 guys?

Windhorst: What does cap space help you in New Orleans? They had it 2 years ago and used most of it on Solomon Hill & they still want to make the playoffs.

MacMahon: So they keep Boogie for the rest of the year.

Windhorst: It's a $175M decision. Either you're gonna pay him or not.

Han: No good options for that roster.

MacMahon: Wes could help them.

Windhorst: That's me making up a trade. What I'm talking about with the Cousins thing, I come up with that on my own. Talking to execs, if you're New Orleans, this is gotta be what they're talking about.​

DonKnock, Vivi and D-rock like this.
  15. Jontro

Jontro Member

how will we make space for him next year when we'll have lerbon, cpthree, and berd?

16. James Hardashian

James Hardashian Contributing Member

Do it in a second! DJ is a proven star. Clint is a role player just like parsons was. You flip those players while their stock is high. Don't fall in love with them and pass on proven players.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

DJ is a role player just like clint is. far from a star. theres a reason why he got scared about signing in dallas and ran back to the clips where life was easier

Vivi likes this.
  18. mightybosstone

I don't understand this narrative that DJ is a "star" in the league. I think the media may have made him into a star as the third piece of "Lob City" in LA and with the bromance he showed in commercials with CP3, but the reality is that he was a 13/14/2 guy at his peak and is one of the worst free throw shooters in the league. Capela is younger, more athletic and has show a lot more potential offensively.

If Capela were to leave for whatever reason, I would certainly welcome DJ to Houston. I like the guy, but I also think he's a bit overpaid, and Capela's ceiling is much higher.

D-rock and kentuckyalum like this.
  19. James Hardashian

James Hardashian Contributing Member

Led the league in rebounding 2 years in a row. NBA all defense 15' & 16'. All NBA team 15', 16' & 17'. If he isn't a star in this league he's pretty damn close

D-rock likes this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

and much of that has to do with the C position being terrible. it doesnt mean hes a star. just another role player like any other pick and roll center.