1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: DeAndre Jordan eyeing Rockets - will come at discount if Clint Leaves

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Dec 20, 2017.

1. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I bet Doc Rivers is still salty about CP3 wanting to leave for Houston, theres no way he will deal him to Houston.

amaru likes this.
  2. brosef

brosef Member

Doc won’t have a job after this year. He better try to salvage it somehow.

Rox11 and Vivi like this.
  3. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

The thing that’s been impressing me most about Capela this year has been his touch around the basket. Those gimme layups he was missing last year are bouncing around and dropping.

today and DonKnock like this.
  4. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

DJ is better offensively too...Capela could be better but he obviosuly is not yet. Hes too soft to be.
    basketball IQ goes to DJ. Thats a big one for a center

The reason DJ is better is because hes a much better finisher at the rim( especially through contact, which comes to play during playoff time). Stats are not the whole story here, if you sub DJ for capela on THIS team he would average 17/15 on 85% shooting.

Everyone screaming capela is a better finesse player obviously doesent understand what we need from our center

5. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Doc this year is only the clippers coach. So he doesnt really decide if they deal with us or not. Supposedly it was so he could focus on coaching.

6. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Every time I see Dj, he is around 20/20
    Not every game of course he is averaging 11.9pts and 15.1r
    Clint is averaging 14 and 10 but how many good looks does Harden and Cp3 give him.

Still Capela is good for now. Just wish he wouldn’t get those unnecessary soft fouls.
    This game they were switching back and defense looked better.

Beardaholic13 likes this.
  7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

SUMMER 2018
    An LED glow illuminates a room in a darkened mansion.

Doc gets trade proposal for Jordan..from Houston. He rolls his eyes, takes a last sip of Canadian Club and what were once rocks, smugly turns off his Xbox and then goes back to cruising Kayak for Lithuania flights for himself and Austin. Who apparently no longer qualified as a lap child. The indignity.....

Jontro and today like this.
  8. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I mean his fluidity is awesome. Name another center that can euro step a rotating defender that’s switching over to draw the charge on a PnR?

He’s good man

D-rock and tmoney1101 like this.
  9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

He has also only started 1 1/2 seasons worth of games at this point. Would be age 24-27 for his contract. While Jordan would be age 30-34 for his contract. Unless there is a profound difference between their potential contracts I just do not see how it would not make sense to just keep the player you drafted.

I have a feeling Morey would agree 100% with this too.

tmoney1101 and BigMaloe like this.
  10. BigMaloe

Even more. Even if capela gets his max it’s 25m meanwhile DJs is 30m.

So he would have to take a cut but even still capela is restricted and it’s not guaranteed he even gets maxed out.

It would take a huge pay cut for me to want DJ over capela or a huge trade where Clint is needed

D-rock and DonKnock like this.
  11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

The main thing about Capela is that he still doesn't handle contact anymore. I don't want layups from him, I want dunks. I don't want to see soft attempts on contact, I want him to try and hammer it home THROUGH contact. Check out Black for instance. Black is obviously the inferior talent and physical specimen, but he will still try to slam it through a body every chance he gets regardless of whether he gets blocked or fouled. Capela on the other hand, he still lacks that aggression.

cerophilik likes this.
  12. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Yea Capela typically only times he dunks is on lobs or when he is alone. Even against smaller players he would try to lay it up

I’ve seen Dj dunk even outside the restricted area or thru contact. If he has a smaller guy he slams it down.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If we could turn Capela and Anderson + fillers into Jordan, one of Bev or Lou and our 2019 1st back then I might like it, but that's about the only case. Capela is just too much more valuable then Jordan at his age with his restricted contract that will have a small cap hold, Clippers would have to take on Anderson plus give back our package for Paul damn near.

14. BigMaloe

A dunk is worth 2 and a layup is worth 2

I know everyone wants their center to be strong like shaq but we don’t have a beefy Steven Adams type.

We have an agile capela. All of his statistics show he is elite at finishing at the rim.

For instance:

Clint Capela - Takes 79.7% of his overall shot attempts within 0-3ft converting them at 74.2% for an overall 67.4 fg%

DeAndre Jordan - Takes 84.4% of his overall shot attempts within 0-3ft converting them at 71.7% for an overall 66.1 fg%

Sooooo... In conclusion DeAndre takes a higher amount of shots at the rim yet converts at a lower rate.

But hey, “he dunks over people and I like that.”

“I also voted Westbrook mvp because he yells a lot and I like that too.”

DonKnock, D-rock, Blurr#7 and 2 others like this.
  15. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Would probably need a third team in again, unless Gallinari is being moved as well.

16. malakas

malakas Member

ah I thought they could trade the pick for the range it's protected from the Suns.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yes but its more a mental thing than physical .... DJ knows his role is to set picks and roll hard to the bucket , not piss and whine about post touches or throw fits cause the offense doesn't run thru him.

DonKnock and Beardaholic13 like this.
  18. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

Who cares lol

19. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

I appreciate the work you put getting those stat, but in the end they are just stats. Stats never tell the whole story.
    I dont claim to watch every clippers games but i have watched every rockets game this year, while capela has improved tremendously, he is this good because of harden and paul. In any other team there is no doubt in my mind his stats will fall considerably % wise.

Point 1:You can argue what kind of center fits better with this team and its really 50/50 IMO, but i dont think you can argue which center would give us a better chance beating GS, SA, OKC,Cle,Bos.
    Point2: Going forward someone CC will probably command a MAX and DJ wants to play here for a discount...
    Point3: Is CC's age really a factor? we wanna win now the window is 3-4 years? so i dont think the age factor really is that big of a deal
    Point4:Flexibility in the summer to get the 3rd star, i think it is possible but much harder to do with CC

20. s3ts

s3ts Member

What about rebounds?

Capela sometimes frustrates me because he's not going after those rebounds. Giving us an extra 2 or 3 possessions per game will really help this team.

Not to say Capela can't do that -- he just doesn't care about rebounding as much as the other 5 players who average more rebounds.

But it IS crucial, IMO, for us to have less pressure going down the stretch.