1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Butler will be Moreys main target this summer, and he feels fairly confident it will happen

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 25, 2019.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Like just as good a shot when "We'll have our pick of the free agents"?

[​IMG]

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/...r-scenarios-in-play/5gssrkamiapf1c7w73jhyo6x7

But of all the scenarios that could play out in Philadelphia when this season ends — with three free agents in the starting five — Butler is still seen by front-office execs around the league as the most likely of the Sixers to be elsewhere next season.

There are, essentially, four ways the Sixers’ summer will play out. Let’s have a look at all four.

Scenario 1: Everybody leaves

Well, not likely everybody. But it’s possible that both Butler and Harris, an unrestricted free agent like Butler, will bolt. That would be a big blow to the franchise considering the haul given up for Butler (Dario Saric, Robert Covington and a 2022 second-rounder) and, especially, for Harris (the Sixers’ pick in 2020 and the Heat's 2021 pick, plus two second-rounders and rookie Landry Shamet, who has been starting for the Clippers).

The Sixers did get Justin Patton, Boban Marjanovic and Mike Scott in those deals (they also gave up Jerryd Bayless, Mike Muscala and Wilson Chandler), but none of those guys figures into the team’s long-term plans.

This scenario is a longshot. When the Sixers executed the Harris trade, letting go of a huge haul for a free agent-to-be who has already been with five teams in eight seasons, the idea was to give the franchise a way to guard against Butler’s possible departure and ensure that another young talent could be secured long-term alongside stars Ben Simmons and Embiid.

Butler may leave. But if Harris leaves, too, this will have been a disaster for the Sixers.

Scenario 2: Everybody stays

This one makes sense, until you start doing some math. The Sixers have a fearsome starting five of Simmons, J.J. Redick (also a free agent this summer), Butler, Harris and Embiid. There’s virtually no bench, and the team will likely go seven deep in the postseason.

That would continue to be the case once that starting five is re-signed. Harris will get something close to a max contract this summer — if not in Philadelphia, there will be other suitors — so the Sixers are looking at a commitment of five years and about $180 million there. They’ll have to make Butler much the same offer.

Embiid is already in the midst of a five-year, $146 million contract extension, and Simmons is eligible for a max extension this summer that could pay him more than $180 million over five years.

In 2020, the bill for just keeping Embiid, Simmons, Harris and Butler will be more than $125 million. The Sixers would be over the cap with those four players, and about $15 million shy of the luxury tax. That’s with 11 roster spots still to fill.

Would owner Josh Harris, who slapped down rumors that he would be interested in selling the team four years ago, be willing to plunge so deep into luxury-tax territory? That’s where the Sixers are headed if everyone stays aboard. The franchise has exhausted its once-rich field of assets to assemble this team, but it’s going to be very expensive to keep it together.

Scenario 3: Harris leaves, Butler stays

According to a source with knowledge of the situation, there is "almost no chance" things play out this way. The reason the Sixers were willing to give up four picks and Shamet last month was because they felt that having Harris’ Bird Rights would give them the needed edge to make sure he re-signed. Philadelphia won’t be outbid for Harris this summer.

Harris is ready for some long-term stability. He’s been shipped from Milwaukee to Orlando to Detroit to the Clippers and now to the Sixers, and he is still only 26 (he turns 27 in July). The expectation is that the team will move quickly to keep Harris, no matter the situation with Butler.

Scenario 4: Butler leaves, Harris stays

Since the Harris trade went down, this has been considered the most likely outcome in Philadelphia. There have been chemistry issues with Butler, though certainly not on the scale we saw in Minnesota, and front-office sources believe he will angle to go to either Brooklyn or New York, with the Clippers a possibility, too.

That’s not ruling out a return to the Sixers, but Philadelphia needs to be cautious about making a five-year commitment to a player who turns 30 in September.

D-rock and s3ts like this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

*No way the Clippers are going to trade CP3 to the Rockets*

foggy94, cbass and mikol13 like this.
  3. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I wouldn't complain about the swap at all, and I'm hoping for it, but Gordon has been as good as we would hope Butler would play against the Warriors. Butler has more shelf-life as a play-maker in my opinion, but Gordon would be missed regardless. I think Gordon could be a 6th man for an elite team for another 3-5 years, because he's such a great shooter.

4. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Na u not seeing how much better butler with us would be against golden state. I'm telling u. We get butler we the favs to win a ship period. Like u said he does everything ego does but better....ego better 3 point shooter...butler better playmaker. Also I really like Gordon that's why I think it would a.good get for the 76ers to. Gordon is borderline allstar in my book. I think in the east he is. Clearly better the Middleton to ke

arabrocket and T FOR 3!!! like this.
  5. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

Bro, you guys are basing this off the idea that Gordon is an all-star. If he was this good every month of the season, sure, but March is always his best month by a lot...

6. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Is Butler better than EGo? Hell yes but that's not the point. EGo is not really a starter. He is a perfect 6th man and you try to do the deal another way. We need other improvements and don't have any assets after this potential trade. Why do you think Morey already tried this so hard? You need constant pressure from the guard spot. Last year we had 96 minutes of that and more with two HOF and one sub All-Star level player that averages close to 20 points. We had Trevor and PJ holding down the forward positions and providing modest offense and ton of D. If you switch out the contract asset of Gordon for Butler you are losing Rivers and have nothing to replace Gordon. Finding a way to use the Shumpert contract slot instead is extremely valuable to the team and keeping EGo. We didn't use the MLE this year and likely have to use it this summer on Faried if he will take it. How do we keep House? All of these things become an issue when you are a luxury level team with trades and vet mins only at your disposal. You have to get to 8 players. Harden, CP3, Butler, Capela, Tucker, Gordon, Faried, House, Green...is the dream. Ultimately you do the deal with EGo to get Butler but you try another way real hard. Is two future late 1sts more valuable than EGo to you RIGHT NOW. That is the question.

7. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Nope... Check my previous post, I was standing up for Gordon when people were saying Rivers would be better to keep (when he was playing at an unreal pace). I don't think Gordon is actually playing his best ball right now. He's been strictly hitting 3s the last couple of games. I want the Gordon that seems to dunk all over the Warriors every other time we play them and puts pressure on the rim. I'm saying Butler is the clear upgrade, but Gordon is one of the few guys whose shooting actually fits our system. He's a serious luxury that people do take for granite. Again, I would trade him for Butler..

8. s3ts

s3ts Member

Dat Rick & Morty ref doe.

T FOR 3!!! likes this.
  9. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

You are the man...

10. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

@cyberx what's the update on this?

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He already mentioned that Butler, Kyrie, Kawhi and Kemba are the next targets for LAL after the AD trade. They have between 28-33 M remaining for them.

daywalker02 likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

For example EGo and Trae Young sound better than just Butler. I mean also for them Lakers.

If depends though.

13. rockets13champs

Do we tho?

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Butler will not mesh well with Harden. Butler will call out and take the ball away from Harden if it doesn't look right.

arabrocket likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Actually, Butler would not mesh well with both CP3 and Harden. If only one of them then he would have more opportunity to dominate ball.

So having Rivers or better yet, Bev, instead of CP3 playing with him and Harden makes more sense.

16. amaru

amaru Member

Lightning rarely strikes in the same place twice.

17. basketballholic

Butler will mesh perfectly with Harden and Cp3.

JoeBarelyCares and Deuce like this.
  18. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

For the first time in the history of CF I agree with Holic...

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I dun think the word perfect describes what is happening between CP3 and Harden.

At times CP3 played better with the 2nd unit. It was far from perfect, however, it was alrite.

20. cyberx

cyberx Member