1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Butler still Moreys MAIN target this summer/MDAs seat getting hot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 10, 2019.

1. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

If we replace EGo with Butler I think it is only a marginal improvement. I think we can use Shumpert. The best way to think of Butler is to look at Ariza and Tucker when we had the highest functioning version of the team. If Capela was out there, in effect we had only two players that could move with the ball and everybody else was stationary. The Rockets evolved to the two man ISO game out of personnel. Tucker being left in the corner makes sense and works because he has about 5 shots on average. Ariza just lacked the athleticism to become more than a 10 shot a game 3 point shooter. ISO offenses rightly get crap because it becomes stagnant with one guy. We are a little more complex than that having 3 guys at all times and 4 with EGo destroys that narrative.

You also have to look at your assets for 240 minutes. 96 of that is in the backcourt where we have 2 HOFs and basically 1 all-star level player. There is no team in the NBA that has that side covered better. Where we are weak is the frontcourt for 140 minutes. If you look at where we lost, it is here. We have Capela, Tucker, and... There we used House, Faried, Nene, Shumpert, and Rivers. Did we exactly play that way? No, so we compromised one area to shore up another. Overall, the minutes got used. Nene, Shumpert, and Rivers are gone one way or another. I think we resign House and maybe get lucky with Faried at the TP MLE. The question is still what do you do with 144 minutes if only half can be secured by Capela and Tucker? I sure would feel 1000% better with Butler taking half of the remaining minutes.

We need to dump the only one guy can handle the rock trope and even Bosh usage correlation (diminishing returns). It dies with every other team and we even proved it wrong. Just like GSW got Durant, we are always outgunned against these and other top tier teams. If Harden plays out of his mind we can win. Why is THIS team held to that standard? I don't hear that with any other team. Butler can prolong his, Harden, and CP3's career by sharing the load that will keep each player fresh and cause the most stress on other teams. We saw the benefit of staggering Harden and CP3 with no down time on the second team. Now you can have at least two HOFs on the court at all times killing the other team. That is what gives teams like GSW the cushion to play bad and still win all of the time. The only place where I will give an idiot like Barkley credit is the idea that yes you can win but who is going to win 80% of the time or is expected to win. For a team that values analytics there can be no greater driving force. Durant was pretty damn good insurance for GSW.

RE Capela: To me Horford is run down and for all of the problems with Capela we are not replacing him with a better or cheaper option. The value in trade is just not there for us. He is a system guy but its our guy and our system. Capela has gone from an 8/8 guy to 17/12. Where are we going to find better and younger than that for the next 4 years? He was misused against GSW but dominated every other team. Is the answer to throw away a player like that or confront problems?

mike2k132 likes this.
  2. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Jimmy Butler has an ace in his back pocket

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Maybe he can make his friend Mark Wahlberg a Houston fan.

Jimmy does look a bit like younger Jordan.....

[​IMG]

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

I'm not expecting it to happen.
    I'm not counting on it to happen.
    I don't think it will happen.
    But I'm always wrong on these things :D so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I'm not the biggest James Butler fan but sure, if he wants to come, bring him on.
    Will welcome with open arms like Dwert & Christopher.

#705 J.R., May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Zboy and Vivi like this.
  7. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

I don't know if it's just me, but I don't believe a f'ing word Windhorst says lol.

D-rock, amaru, mikol13 and 7 others like this.
  8. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

I have never believed him because he is an LBJ nuthugger. He is really only there to be his proxy and get out his message. It is easy for me to believe that Butler doesn't come to Houston. However, outside of Boogie, I don't see anyone serving under a declining LBJ in that dumpster fire of an organization that had to beg their 4th option for a coach. Ingram has blood clots and Lonzo is always injured and can't shoot. They may piss away an opportunity on Boogie trying to go after Davis again without a hope in hell. He's going to Boston or Toronto.

amaru and Mathloom like this.
  9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Jimmy and Kawhi are not interested in making movies.

Stormy1234 and BigM like this.
  10. TimDuncanDonaut

amaru likes this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

if the unexpected happened and the Lakers somehow got Kawhi then the Rockets are done out here

Jimmy going to LA is whatever

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

If i would've to bet, i'd is still say that Durant and Irving will end up in NY, too much smoke there to not be true...even though for some reason i wouldn't write off Irving ending up with the Lakers with Kemba going to NY.

Kawhi in L.A, Clippers side, where i think he'll play with one guy between Klay, Middleton, Beal, Butler or Davis.

Cousins and Kemba are probably going to be a plan B/C for the NY and L.A teams, with teams like the Mavs, Spurs, Suns that will try to sign them but will probably fail.

Regardless, i was just giving a look at the Lakers cap situation and i don't know, they can very well sign a max and trade for another top player like Davis or Beal, but to make that kind of trade they would be basically forced to move literally everyone aside for Lebron...Ingram, Ball, Kuzma etc so, even if they somehow end up getting let's say Irving/Butler and Davis/Beal, they would've to fill the rest of the roster with an exception and minimum guys. Considering this, Lebron's age and their front office status, i don't really see them as an attractive destination, even though it's a given i'm going to get owned on this in the end.

13. Homey the Clown

Windhorst is LeBron's bytch. He's always the first to leak LeBron's drama. So annoying. But I still can't believe a lot of yall think the Rockets have a shot at Butler though lol. There are much better options out there.

J Sizzle likes this.
  14. Mathloom

Also consider that no one would take Ingram right now. He will have to play a season to be considered a safe asset at this point.

Ball proved inconsistent. I do think he will finally have a pretty good season because Magic is the only who stupidly told him to put on muscle (rather than the F'ING OBVIOUS need to work relentlessly on his 3pt/ft shots). Still, Ball is nothing more than Austin Rivers with slightly better passing and slightly worse shooting.

Kuzma and the #4 pick are the real assets. The truth is I do actually believe the Lakers can be a top 3 seed with as little as Lebron/Beal/Middleton. I do believe Lebron is better than Lillard, Jokic, Mitchell, Westbrook and probably George >> these are people competing for 2nd/3rd seed routinely. It's true Lebron can't carry a team like Harden, but Beal and Middleton both would be in the conversation for the best sidekick James Harden has ever had as a Rocket.

Wizards would probably give them Beal for Ingram and #4. That would have the Lakers at $30m in cap space i.e. they can dump Wagner's contract and sign a max free agent (Kemba or Middleton or Butler) while still having Ball and Kuzma on the roster, the room exception and obviously it's never tough for the Lakers to get good free agents at the minimum on a team projected to win games.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

Options like?

16. lurgar

lurgar Member

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah they could do something similar, but personally for the reason you said i don't think the pick and Ingram will be enough to get Beal, maybe with Kuzma...i mean, Beal is obviosuly not as good as Davis, but still under contract for two seasons and as today he's the only big name potentially (cause we actually don't even know if Washington will trade him, wouldn't be shocked if they still keep him lol) available, which means all the teams with assets that will strikeout on Davis will probably go after him so...

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

You're only thinking one side of the game, though. I agree with your assessment about our offense with Butler, but the defense would be substantially improved any time he's on the court. That alone might be enough to get us past GS.

Plowman likes this.
  19. Mathloom

I have Ingram in that deal as a throw away player btw. Can replace him with Kuzma, but meh. My personal opinion of Kuzma is that he is highly overrated as far as impact on winning.

True, but picks will be more valuable now that tanking is less likely to generate a good return. If you're tanking, a #4 pick who will be under team control for at least 7-8 years is a massive asset now. Take the Hornets for example, the most logical course of action is to tank but now tanking will require more years or you have to supplement it with better signings/trades.

I think Washington would be making a huge mistake if they passed up a top 5 pick for Beal.

20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Sucks you’re not very intuitive.

I keed I keed.

Roc Paint likes this.