1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sorry but Harden step back is a Blatent travel

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardenMvp, Apr 16, 2018.

1. bmelo

bmelo Member

By fiba its an obvious travel. But he plays in nba where apart of rulebook superstars are allowed even more. Why nobody talks about Lebrons drives? He travels almost everytime

steddinotayto likes this.
  2. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Lol if the Warriors pulled this move on us in game 7 of the WCF, you would be MAD. :)

3. dram1

dram1 Member

OK...1st of all...we do not care about FIBA. The basketball world revolves around the NBA, Secondly,as it has been covered so many times...James Harden's step-back IS NOT travelling. Basketball rules allow for two steps after the ball has been picked up from dribbling. The rules do not state whether those steps must be toward the basket or lateral or backward,,,,just that from the point the player begins to gather the ball, they may takes the two steps. They may take one step if they like, but no more than two. The rules also do not state that the steps must be any set distance. They can be long striding steps like in a drive to the basket or two tiny steps to create space while gathering the ball. This is not that complicated.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

And not obese.

Snow Villiers likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

:eek:

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

somewhere harden is laughing at all the fuss on social media and the "travel" gurus for something done so easily on his part

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

// twitter mob. Harden travels
    // NBA official. Legal move
    // twitter mob. I don't care what you say :rolleyes:

9. alethios

alethios Member

I'm fine with that explanation. Truth is, he'll keep doing it until he gets called on it. But it's funny to watch and listen to all the caterwauling.

10. icewill36

icewill36 Member

GOATs change the game

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

James Harden is a true basketball savant

12. Mr. Space City

stay mad haterz

DonKnock, DreamShook, Reeko and 3 others like this.
  13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Does anyone have a gif of last nights play? Must send it to Rocket-hating friends.

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I don’t have a twitter account. Really only see tweets when they are posted here.

Reading those comments make me happy with my decision to stay away.

Deuce likes this.
  15. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Twitter is like any other beast, like ESPN, CNN or MSNBC. If you go there for the news, it isn't a bad source at all, but reading the follow up tweets (or in cases of the news outlets the comments section) you will be horribly let down. You might lose faith in humanity at that point.

16. Mr. Space City

kobe did the exact move but in dunk form and nobody was crying about traveling then.

wonder why?

JVL713 and DonKnock like this.
  17. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

I don't care if I ever read the word "gather" again on this board.

18. csj

csj Member

"Gathered the ball" is no more "a thing" than "pick up his dribble" is. In this context they are the same.

Here's what the rulebook says:
    In this case, Harden has "received the ball" upon completion of a dribble while "standing still" with both feet on the floor. He is not entitled to "two steps in coming to a stop" because he is already stopped.

It's clear when he "receives the ball", what matters is whether he is "stopped" and "standing still" when that occurs. You can't just take two steps after a dribble just like you can't take one step, stop, then take another. Once you are stopped any step is a travel. Harden was stopped when his dribble ended.

To call this legal, you must claim that harden is moving when he "receives the ball" "upon completion of a dribble" and that at least one step would be required to come to a stop. That would be the ref's argument, although IMO that isn't true.

P.S.

"He then is allowed 2 steps, which he takes as a lateral 1-2 step."

This is where they are wrong, a player is not simply "allowed 2 steps" as above. If a player is stopped he is allowed 0 steps.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. foh

foh Member

Why do you consider him "standing still"? When he picks up the ball (touches with both hands behind his back), his center of gravity is clearly "progressing". I think he might even fall over if he doesn't make a step. Is the part about needing a step not to fall over included in the rules somewhere as the defining prerequisite of being considered "progressing"?

#279 foh, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    hakeem94 likes this.
  20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Jeez, bringing up FIBA is about as relevant as comparing indoor soccer to outdoor.

Different rule set, different game. Maybe it's the same inspiration, but why don't you go ahead and look at the goaltending rules in FIBA too buddy.

hakeem94 likes this.