1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I

MLB should just use that buzzer system people are trying to pin on the Astros.

2. vince

vince Member

Fiers is a piece of Scum. That was absolutely the worst trade ever. We got two idiot players, who have negated any possible positive they could have added. And we traded away Hader; a true game changer. In that trade Luhnow outsmarted himself, and hurt his club.

Fiers never bought into the Astros system, and he didn’t perform elite. His numbers with the Astros pale in comparison to the rest of his career. Meanwhile all other pitchers who buy into the philosophy, vastly improve their game.

Fiers is butt hurt for being left off the Playoff roster in 2017. I guess nothing like the scorn of a disgruntled a-hole.

3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

So.......is the Boston media still crying after they got busted in football again?

derp, everyday eddie and King1 like this.
  4. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Personally I hope we get a minimal punishment and let’s all move on...the MLB doesn’t need this crap.

htwnbandit, everyday eddie and King1 like this.
  5. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I guarantee Josh Hader ain’t a snitch.

6. vince

vince Member

Yup, I’d like to see the timeline. Also, if every team in MLB had this exact live feed, which led the Astros to infer it was running rampant across the league; because from the sources this technically was brought to the franchise by Beltran or another veteran. Other teams were doing similar practices.

Astros got snitched out by a loser in Fiers. Even though other teams were likely doing the same, let’s move on; baseball doesn’t need bad publicity. Astros will likely get a fine and lose some draft picks. Sucks, but Astros got caught with the hand in the cookie jar, because of a disgruntled ex employee....

King1 likes this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The key revelation is that this wasn't a separate or new camera they installed. It was there already. They just set up a monitor closer to the dugout. The "masterminding" is a little bit lax.

When they start bringing up whistling, buzzers, lights and trash cans... its really hard to imagine how feasible any of this was at all times.

8. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

How I imagine all our sign stealing and cheating etc.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  9. Senator

Senator Member

The Patriots were fined $250,000 and a first round draft pick for spygate. No one was fired. It really isn't more serious than that. Another dynasty using what they could for a competitive advantage... as tec h gets better and stronger there won't be a way to stop it or decipher it. PEDs, corking bats, hacking computers is cheating, but this really isn't worth the discussion.

10. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

This helped me start my morning off right

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Your new fans aren't gonna like hearing that. ;)

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...weigh-three-batter-rule-sign-stealing-scandal

What's your take on the Astros sign-stealing situation?

Gardenhire:
    "It's always been part of the game, trying to pick up the catcher signs and stuff. That part has always been fine. When you get into the other stuff, that's when it gets out there. I think that's what everybody is trying to stop. Everybody is going to continue to look and see if you can get a catcher's routine and signs, but the other part of it we've got to get rid of. That's a little bit unfair, and I think baseball is taking care of it. That's what we've been told, and I believe them."

Snitker: "Guys have been trying to figure out an edge for as long as we've been playing. Whether it's guys tipping pitches, they study it. Some guys are better at it than others and getting advantages. I've never really spent a lot of time with it. I mean, I think a lot of it -- you know, it's been going on for a long time, the on-the-field type things.

Kevin Cash, Tampa Bay Rays: "I can't speak on anything, other than what took place in the playoffs. I thought MLB did a tremendous job of monitoring everything. There were MLB supervisors, officials, two at one end of the dugout, two at the other end, one or two in the video rooms. I fully trust MLB did a really good job."

Bob Melvin, Oakland Athletics: "Yeah, we talked about it, prepared for those type of things. There was a lot bantered about, those type of things going on. It is what it is. There is an investigation going on, and at some point in time there will be ramifications for it. If what has been going on and what we're reading about is going on, that's a line that's been crossed."

Woodward: "I think we're all paranoid. I just know that I challenged all the teams that I was on. I came up in an era where the team I played on in Toronto, we were aware of signs and tips on pitchers, and we tried to find every advantage we could -- obviously without crossing that line into the cheating realm. But anything you can take advantage of, you do."

Maddon: "When you use electronic cheating, that's not good. It's almost tantamount to steroids in regards to an imbalanced playing field. If we could level that out and eradicate that and you get guys going out there naked every night just based on their own abilities, I'll take it. I'll take us against anybody under those circumstances."

Girardi: "[It's an issue] because that's not coming from the players on the field. The players on the field, it's their job to guard against the players on the field. You can't guard against technology and players off the field. So that is bothersome to me, and it's been why I've been like a headset guy proponent to where [stealing signs] can't be done. Then the only thing you have to worry about is if a pitcher is tipping."

Aaron Boone, New York Yankees: "Obviously, some of the stuff is, you know, eye-popping, eye-opening. We will see where it leads. We know, obviously, Major League Baseball is taking it seriously and going through a thorough process of talking to a lot of people and really trying to get to what truly happened, didn't happen, what was going on."

#832 J.R., Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    Lawlruschang likes this.
  13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

If you're not first, you're last!

But seriously, I don't expect much as far as penalties, but I suspect they'll be something to ensure it doesn't continue...

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Lol sports center showed their images of the decade and plays of the decade in a montage and no mention of the astros at all

Lawlruschang likes this.
  15. HTown2017Champs

Of course not. Media bias. F the East Coast/California attention whores. We beat their golden boys (BOS, NYY, LAD) and are a "non-traditional power" so of course they avoid giving us as much positive attention as possible. The fact that this is a league-wide problem but the investigation is focused on us (and is said to be VERY extensive) is fishy. I accept that there was some wrongdoing but the Astros are still my team and forever will be. Any updates? I just want this ******* thing to be over with.

16. msn

msn Member

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

When is the Athletic, and Evan, going to put out another click-bait story with no real updates... but they gotta keep this story relevant because they started it.

dmoneybangbang, jcee15 and raj87 like this.
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Why? The Astros obviously didn't conceal it well, the MLB was already investigating Astros thoroughly for other reasons (lawyers likely involved for Taubman issue to help protect MLB likely means more evidence is gathered), and the Astros won the World Series.

The MLB does not go hunting for problems.

When MLB deals out a punishment and people stop posting their names in connection with it. Considering the Athletic is the one that broke this story, they are going want to advertise for themselves especially if the MLB punishes the Astros based on an investigation started by one of their stories. If the Astros didn't sign steal, the Athletic wouldn't have a story. Astros fans should be upset with the Astros, not the Athletic, for cheating or at the very least not concealing cheating well. Of all the parts of the story...Mike Fiers being able to snitch is the biggest WTF are the Astros doing.

Evan, on the otherhand, is annoying. While the Astros appear deserving of criticism for sign stealing, he was critical of a lot things that lead to the Astros assembling a great team. These were obviously bad takes.

astros123 likes this.
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yeah, so after all that...

I'm not going to be surprised if the Atlhletic and Evan put out another click-bait story with no real updates... because they gotta keep this story relevant because they started it.

I'm fine with them breaking the story... and yes, there is likely a story there (Astros did something)... but everything since the initial story has been trying to escalate/extend things past the normal news cycle.

One story that nobody talks about is how the Angels had a drug problem right in the clubhouse, aided by team employees, and a death happened as a result... but yes, more trash can banging during dog-day regular season games (during a season where their road hitting was better) needs more air time.

msn likes this.
  20. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

I’ve lost a little respect for the you tuber foolish baseball because of his affiliation with the atlantic.

#840 jcee15, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.