1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Sky's the limit for Clint Capela"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spacemoth, Apr 20, 2018.

1. basketballholic

Clint has been good defensively these last couple game. Minny isn't collapsing in on him offensively and forcing him to make defensive decisions in a half court game. Minny is making the mistake of trying to run and operate in space. They're not good at it. And we're excellent at it. And therefore Clint is free to roam around and isn't feeling the grind of big bodies banging on him.

Clint has looked good so far. And I'm glad. I hope he holds up throughout the playoff season especially as the pressure mounts in the coming rounds. I've always said I want to be wrong about Capela. And I truly mean that. I want to win a championship. And we're closer to that now than any time since 1995. Even the year Yao and Deke went down against the Lakers. This is a better team than that one. I want a championship. I'm rooting for the team. And I'm rooting for Capela. And I always will as long as Capela is a Rocket.

If we are going to win a championship, Capela has to perform defensively at a high level for sustained minutes throughout the playoffs. So far........(cautionary).......so good.

I'll continue to comment on his play.

2. Nook

Nook Member

I will be impressed if the Rockets play the Thunder in round 2 and Capela holds his own against Adams.

Vivi, saleem and Deuce like this.
  3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

LMAO _Holic with a complete 180

From saying no team with Capela will make playoffs or whatever that asinine statement was to this...

Keep doing you

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. basketballholic

My intellect and my heart are two different things. My heart wants to win a championship. Therefore my heart wants Capela to do great. Why should I be ashamed to admit when he plays well? I never denied when Terrence Jones had good games. Never. I don't believe in lying. I tell the truth about what I see out there.

It's two games.......in the first round.....against the 8 seed. He's played great. We've got to win 2 more games this series, which should be done in short order. And then we've got to win 4 games out of 7 games three times in a row. Against better opponents than the Wolves.

I certainly hope that happens and I am wrong about Capela. Or at the very least, if I'm right about Capela intellectually that perhaps we can cover our interior defense weakness with other players like Luc, PJ, and whomever else and still win a championship.

But let me be real clear for members like you that can't understand full commentary. Two wins in the first round of the playoffs against an 8th seed opponent that is even weaker in the defensive interior than we are.......hasn't changed my mind about Capela. Neither will 4 wins change my mind about Capela. Neither will another 14 wins change my mind.

What will change my mind about Capela not even being close to stardom and only being just another average to below average player that has been propped up by our system is when I see him being the defensive difference-maker and impact plays consistently in the playoffs against the top echelon teams.

Just to be clear......we could lose in these playoffs and I could change my mind about Capela. Harden could go down with injury and Capela could play out of his mind and we could lose but Capela still prove himself to me. I'm waiting and watching the games. And I'm still open-minded to a player like Capela having a late significant improvement uptick in his game/skills/development. But there is are very small chanceof that happening. It's not impossible. But highly improbable.

I have not changed my mind about Capela. Got that???????? Clear enough for you???????? I still think our Achilles heel is our interior defense. I still think if we don't win a championship it will be because our interior defense melts down. I still do not believe Capela is the interior defensive difference maker that a team needs to win a championship. K?

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  5. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Jordan is either disinterested or slowed down quite a bit. He never had Capela's ability to simultaneously jump in traffic for multiple lobs and blocks. He is older and isn't getting any better. If Capella can't be retained then Jordan coming at a discount is a viable option.

6. bongman

bongman Member

Those are all valid points. I feel that the potential variable is what adds color to the discussion. Nobody knows how much more he will improve

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

THIS! This is absolutely the litmus test for me.

saleem likes this.
  8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I have been mentioning the same thing in various posts.

9. basketballholic

Adams is most definitely one of the litmus tests for Capela. He absolutely creamed Capela physically last year. But....if the Jazz win that series Gobert/Favors will be a litmus test for Capela as well. Gobert has somewhere between 4-6 inches of length on Capela. And he's bigger and stronger than Capela. And the Jazz move the ball and make a lot of cuts. Those things have always been a downer to Capela.

Not to mention Favors, who also is bigger and stronger and just as athletic while having similar length to Capela.

Whichever team wins that series will be a litmus test for Capela's development defensively.

10. ballscientist1

Rockets will need to squeeze the penny as much as it can, will keep the space to sign Ariza, Luc Richard and Green.

The following is only my personal opinion:

Ryan has been overpaid by $50 million. Tilman is willing to overpay Chris Paul by $50 million, but he is NOT willing to overpay Capela $50 million.

Just an Example or assumption:

Chris Paul is worth 125 million, his market is $175 million

Capela is worth 56 million, his market is 106 million.

When a person pays over $100 million luxury taxes each year, he feels painful.

One more thing,

If DanToni has a good relation with Iso Joe, he might keep him. (1 year 5 million?)

#50 ballscientist1, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  11. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

is he better defensively? do you have anything to substantiate that? houston was the #6 defense, clippers were #19

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sorry but that's crazy, 1 year 5 million for sitting on the bench and ISo score when he feels like it?

Joe was a mistake but counting on him to lead the bench, is a bigger mistake.

I feel strongly that this isn't mah money, throw it out of the window type of comment.

#52 daywalker02, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  13. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Ahhhhh how bout Jordan has been dpoy candidate lmao. Come on now why u being silly like Jordan wasn't top 2 defensive centers for like 5 years. I repeat i love Capella but him like Jordan game is dependent on others.

Career highlights and awards

#53 mike2k132, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  14. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

I was under the impression that despite his elite shot blocking numbers that he was not an elite post defender. I know for a fact that Capela is an elite post defender

15. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Only if he stops clanking fts. Soon enough, teams will start testing him, just like D12 a few years ago.

16. basketballholic

No you don't. You just think you do.

17. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

Inaccurate, sir. Rim protection stats agree with me.

18. basketballholic

LOL. Here's another one.

Gotta watch the games.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Why wouldn’t Karl Anthony Towns, one of the best low post players and rebounders in the game, qualify as a “litmus test” for Capela? Capela is doing a fine job this series.

RiceRockets and Lawlruschang like this.
  20. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

capela gonna dick up gobert

Lawlruschang likes this.