1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Sky's the limit for Clint Capela"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spacemoth, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Chris Paul quote but Ringer article.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/4/20/17259272/clint-capela-rockets-chris-paul-james-harden

It's nice for Clint to get some props. 42-3 when he plays with Chris and James is not a small sample size; that's greatest team in NBA history W-L numbers. But it also makes me wonder what kind of RFA contract he will sign this offseason. 6mo ago we noted what a sparse free agency landscape it would be in terms of how much most teams have to offer in cap space. Now you gotta feel he'll be offered something in the 18-20M range. Either way, keep it up Clint!

Deckard, gatsby, jevjnd and 6 others like this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If he’s going to get that kind of money, he will need to continue to develop. A lot of players get their money, and then regress. If the Rockets make that offer, I hope they are confident he won’t be that kind of player.

3. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

he is going to get the max. he was our best player last year in the play offs versus the spurs. he will easily get a max offer from some team this summer

4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i actually think clint will give us a (small) discount on the contract. we gave him his chance and developed him for years. I think his mindset is on rings (and the massive amount of european sponsorship that will follow) over haggling on this upcoming contract.

he will be around 28-29 the next time he signs, so this won't be his only chance at a huge payday.

arabrocket and Lawlruschang like this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

his ceiling is through the roof

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Thing is the market is most likely the one that will make the judge on Clint. I'd put money on Morey only making the qualifying offer and letting the market set the price.

Plus we'll be focused on resigning CP3 which has already been mentioned in one of these SAS/Max K. threads.

7. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

I think the Rockets are in an enviable position with Capela. He is more valuable to them than any other team because they have the unique setup at Guard and a system that allows them to maximize his impact on the game.

If he went to say, the Mavericks, he would probably be worth less in terms of impact on the court than he'd command in salary because Dallas doesn't have the elite PG play to generate Clint's at the rim offense and they don't have the abundance of shooters at every other position to offset his liabilities as an offensive player when he steps away from the basket. It would be much like our situation now with Ryan Anderson - locking up 20M+ annually for a player that is elite in some ways, but who's limitations are so severe that you can't actually keep him on the court enough to get full value out of the elite aspects of his game.

What we have to fear is that another team that THINKS they can duplicate the Rockets system and has bat-**** crazy ownership with unlimited financial means (I'm looking at YOU Brooklyn) decides they can get full value out of Clint and throws max money at him.

Otherwise, the Rockets should be able to convince Clint to take less money to stay with the team where he is certain to maximize his skill set for his entire career. He can make up the loss in money on a per year basis by having a longer, more productive career where he is always paid as a key starter with the Rockets, rather than risking a fat 4 year deal with a team that can't maximize his value where he under performs and then gets role player money in ensuing deals.

IvanLCPM, xaos, alethios and 8 others like this.
  8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Clint would be wise to take a fair offer from the Rockets, even if it is slightly less than what another team might pay, and continue to flourish next to CP and James. Sign a nice 3 or 4 year deal and then be setup for another huge contract at a still young age of 27/28.

9. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

What team can pay him 25 million per this summer?
    This might be the worst FA year in a while, and it will continue until the wave of albatross contracts handed out in 2016 and 2017 expire.
    I expect him to come out of RFA making around 16-19 mil per, the only team with major cap space that won't be in posisition to draft a center for far cheaper is the Lakers, and they don't plan to waste their money on Clint.

roslolian likes this.
  10. Rockets4Life13

I’ve been a Clint „hater“ in the past, but he really has impressed me a lot. Dude is a keeper

11. Rockets4Life13

I think clint knows that. I think he’s gonna do everything he can to stay, he knows what houston ane harden did for him.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I think 18-20M per year is a slight discount. He’s a good kid and keeps a clean nose so there’s no reason to doubt that he’ll keep working on his craft. Get that up FT% above 60 next year big guy!

Lawlruschang likes this.
  14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

_holic told me Capela is JAP. Anyone one of Uthoff, Withey, Chianaunau, Dwayne Deadman etc can replace his production

And I paid for the newsletter to read that crap

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Clint Capela is an RFA in a salary cap market that is tight and flush with available centers. Supply > Demand. Thus, I expect his contract will be depressed somewhat. (e.g. not a max).

IvanLCPM, da_juice and YOLO like this.
  16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Capela's ceiling is

through
    the
    roof

17. Soneca

Soneca Member

One thing I bet: we won't see him singing a contract in a club with Cuban at midnight.

I think he'll try his best to remain a Rocket. Maybe we'll have to let him go, no one can be sure now. What I trully hope is that we win it this year and keep the same crew, I love this team. Clint, Ariza, Tucker, LMM, Green, man, it's so easy to root for our role players. Harden, CP3 and, to a lesser role, EGo, two of them can have a bad night and we can still win in the playoffs. How can we not love what Rockets have built?

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Not to mention, any team that is high in the draft (and has cap space) can just draft Ayton or Bamba and have a cost controlled big. No reason to sign a huge dollar big in that case. So again, the pool of available suitors is reduced some more.

19. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

and you forgot Thon Maker bro.

don grahamleone likes this.
  20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

What newsletter?

don grahamleone likes this.