1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Show Yao some love before doubting his return as a Top C

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by s3ts, Jun 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. s3ts

s3ts Member

Guys, really, Yao is a great player. Remember 2008-2009, he was a warrior, taking one for the team. Leading by example.

I've seen people on GARM rank him lower than the top 3 Cs in the league. As a Rocket fan, this is ridiculous. Even if his return isn't secured yet and he hasn't proved himself healthy yet, we shouldn't be doing this to a Rocket.

Let's just leave him helpful remarks, give him the benefit of the doubt.

Go kick their ass, Yao!

1 person likes this.
  2. Koba

Koba Member

I think most people are just questioning his durability based on his history. You can't really fault them if they do. Some just like to focus on his limitations.

Personally, I think he'll have a fairly big impact at the end of the year. Yao cares too much to want that pedestal again. He's lost face with some of his fan base and wants it back. In Chinese culture, it's all about saving face.

Good luck, Yao. I'm rooting for you, big guy.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes sir. Best center in the league when healthy.

GET HEALTHY YAO!!!

4. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Exaggerate much?

Listen, I think we all want Yao to do well, but he's proven to be a max paid player that's almost on the bench as much as he's on the floor.

Being on the court is 'kind of' important in someone's career and how you rank them don't ya think?

I don't think anyone wants a guy on the team that is asking for anywhere near the max but can't stay healthy...the money the Rockets are blowing on him instead of someone else that can help us is huge. It's time for people to wake up and see that this isn't some bad luck...he's a season ending injury waiting to happen and hurting the franchise in the process.

I highly doubt Yao will ask for anything less than 10-12 mil, but even that's too much for someone that probably won't be around for the playoffs....hell if he gets hurt again (which he probably will) we don't know if he'll be around for the next season. I'd bet an insane amount of money that he'll retire with his next big injury which leave us sitting around with our d^&ks in our hands saying "well, he sure was a nice guy...". :mad:

Sorry,but eff that...we need to get rid of him and move on. He's put on too much weight, he's hitting 30, and he's looking slower every year...that's not a good combo for someone that has shown to be injury prone because of his size.

I like Yao, I think he's a 'swell guy' and I hope he has a great life, but I also love the Rockets and want to see them do well...for that to happen we need to cut our losses and dump Yao.

I don't feel bad for Yao, he's made a ton of cash and will always have millions of unconditional fans rooting for him, even if he's on the bench most of the time.

5. mofuggin_OG

mofuggin_OG Member

come on you cant say yao is a top 3 center if he always disappears come playoff time
    i could also say t-mac is a top 3 sg when healthy bla bla the fact is that he isnt right now

6. jaylee777

jaylee777 Member

always disappears during playoff time? give the guy credit where credit is due...i seem to remember him playing pretty well against portland (a series we won big part due to Yao dominating their big men) and in LA. Also, didnt he come back into the game after the fracture and score some big buckets in the win? All homer feelings aside, i honestly think there was a 50/50 chance we would have won that series if Yao didnt go down. Anyways, point being...he hasnt always disappeared during the playoffs :rolleyes:

7. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I agree. As a Rockets fan, Yao should always be on your top 3 center list, because he is a top 3 center. People have been dismissive of him since we havent seen him in action in over a year. When he comes back, he will dominate once again.

It will be our trial year, if he remains healthy for the entire year he gets resigned. If not, we go into rebuild mode.

Maybe we should get him some of these to play in:

[​IMG]

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Actually, there was this one moron who when asked to list his Top 3 C's...

He listed:

1. Howard
    2. Duncan...

...reasonable picks...

and then...

3. Javale F**KING McGee...

Bwahahaha.

9. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

WHO? :confused: :confused: :confused:

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

The last time Yao was on an NBA floor he was winning a road play-off game against the Lakers to give the Rockets a 1-0 lead in the Western Conference Semi's. At that time Yao WAS the best center in the league. Players get hurt and miss time on the court, it happened to Dream and Jordan missed an entire season etc... They came back and I expect the same from Yao. Until he shows me he is no longer the best center in the league I will continue ranking him as the best.

11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Houston is in luxury tax range, it's not money that can be used for anyone else, its basically money being generated from his off court business appeal.

12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Well, people are justifiably dubious because of his injury history, the serious nature of this injury and the fact that his minutes might always be limited. He could be a nice player like Bill Walton was for the '86 Celtics, but we will have to see if he returns to being an elite player.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Just because you're a fan doesn't mean your players are automatically better than the rest. Players can all be traded, what matters is whether the TEAM itself can be improved.

Sure Yao Ming was great in 2008, but that's not the case now. If you want to reminisce, send someone like tinman an IM and have a chat about the good ol' days. Just don't use the fact that he was one of the league's best in 2008 as a reason to say he's still a top player now.

With that said, I hope he can be healthy next year. I don't think it needs to be pointed out that if he can stay healthy, Yao Ming is the difference between the Rockets going from lottery to contenders.

14. SupermanSK

SupermanSK Contributing Member

Yao is so easy to root for and I love the guy, but Yao is not great! above average? yes!

15. pentajigga

pentajigga Member

I'm pretty sure a retiring player comes off the books for the team... so if you is clear that he will retire if he gets injured again there is little risk in re-signing him.

just heard that rasheed wallace is holding off on retiring so the celts can use him in a trade as an empty contract.

so if he's healthy, we get 25+ mins a game from a top-tier center, if he gets hurt, we can trade his $10M+ contract before he retires.

hmmm ... just found this from the NBA Salary Cap FAQ:

"There is one exception whereby a player can continue to receive his salary, but the salary is not included in the team's team salary. This is when a player is forced to retire for medical reasons and a league-appointed physician confirms that he is medically unfit to continue playing. There is a waiting period of one year following the injury or illness before a team can apply for this salary cap relief. If the waiting period expires mid-season (on any date prior to the last day of the regular season), then the player's entire salary for that season is removed from the team's team salary. For example, in March 2003 the Knicks were allowed to remove Luc Longley's entire 2002-03 salary from their books (and since the luxury tax is based on the team salary as of the last day of the regular season, the Knicks avoided paying any tax on Longley's salary). "

16. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I have to disagree. All feelings aside, Yao actually is great. He dominates every center in the league when he plays. Duncan? Dominated. Howard? Dominated. Shaq? dominated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmRuCzUQt-k Duncan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFppQfs75Ro Howard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWODzPCJfHE&feature=related Shaq.

I especially like the one on Shaq. You'll see LOL.

17. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I dont question Yao's heart.

I question his legs.

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Yao is just not good enough to carry a team by himself and plus he is always hurt. I root for the guy cause he plays for the rockets, but I can't put on my rocket colored glasses and pretend like he is the best center in the league.Cause he is never healthy and even when healthy everything has to be set up perfect so he can get the ball. After that he is pretty lethal.