1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Should this be accepted by the public?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, Dec 11, 2015.

Tags:
  1. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Should we be tolerant of this middle age man transgirl and accepted as norm or can we call this mental illness?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MbiAHnjHlHg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

Don't judge. But if he's harming you, go get a cure.

3. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Sure, why not.

4. malakas

malakas Member

who cares?

5. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Your choice is who you choose to be
    And if you're causing no harm then you're alright with me
    -Ben Harper

#5 DrLudicrous, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why should I care at all?

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Just because we accept trans doesn't mean that all of a sudden we'll have a bunch of nuts like this.

Dumb scare tactic argument that works on Facebook

8. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Won't somebody think of the 50-year-old children?!

But seriously, this should not be accepted. Absolutely against the will of God, common sense, and basic human decency. Naming yourself "Stephonknee" GTFO.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I certainly hope the "public" accepts her. For those who choose to attack this woman, it's unfortunate they need to be so closed-minded that the very ideals of this country can not be applied to all in equality.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't know. How do you decide that someone has a mental illness, as opposed to he/she simply being different? Is it a feeling you have in the pit of stomach that gives you the ability to make this distinction, or is there something more analytical behind it?

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Very good question durvasa. With transabled people, I think that's where I might draw the line:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...-like-impostors-in-their-fully-working-bodies

June 3, 2015
    Becoming disabled by choice, not chance: 'Transabled' people feel like impostors in their fully working bodies
    By Sarah Boesveld

OTTAWA - When he cut off his right arm with a "very sharp power tool," a man who now calls himself One Hand Jason let everyone believe it was an accident.

But he had for months tried different means of cutting and crushing the limb that never quite felt like his own, training himself on first aid so he wouldn't bleed to death, even practicing on animal parts sourced from a butcher.

"My goal was to get the job done with no hope of reconstruction or re-attachment, and I wanted some method that I could actually bring myself to do," he told the body modification website ModBlog2.

His goal was to become disabled.

People like Jason have been classified as ''transabled'' - feeling like imposters in their bodies, their arms and legs in full working order.

"We define transability as the desire or the need for a person identified as able-bodied by other people to transform his or her body to obtain a physical impairment," says Alexandre Baril, a Quebec born academic who will present on "transability" at this week's Congress of the Social Sciences and Humanities at the University of Ottawa.

"The person could want to become deaf, blind, amputee, paraplegic. It's a really, really strong desire."

Researchers in Canada are trying to better understand how transabled people think and feel. Clive Baldwin, a Canada Research Chair in Narrative Studies who teaches social work at St. Thomas University in Fredericton, N.B., has interviewed 37 people worldwide who identify as transabled.

Most of them are men. About half are in Germany and Switzerland, but he knows of a few in Canada. Most crave an amputation or paralysis, though he has interviewed one person who wants his penis removed. Another wants to be blind.

Many people, like One Hand Jason, arrange "accidents" to help achieve the goal. One dropped an incredibly heavy concrete block on his legs - an attempt to injure himself so bad an amputation would be necessary. But doctors saved the leg. He limps, but it's not the disability he wanted.

The transabled are very secretive and often keep their desires to themselves, Baldwin says. One 78-year-old man told Baldwin he'd lived with the secret for 60 years and never told his wife.

Some of his study participants do draw parallels to the experience many transgender people express of not feeling like they're in the right body. Baldwin says this disorder is starting to be thought of as a neurological problem with the body's mapping, rather than a mental illness.

"It's a problem for individuals because it's distressing. But lots of things are." He suggests this is just another form of body diversity - like transgenderism - and amputation may help someone achieve similar goals as someone who, say, undergoes cosmetic surgery to look more like who they believe their ideal selves to be.

In the late 1990s, Scottish surgeon Dr. Robert Smith amputated the legs of two patients at their request. While the surgery involved National Health Service staff, each patient paid nearly $6,000 for their procedures.

As the public begins to embrace people who identify as transgender, the trans people within the disability movement are also seeking their due, or at very least a bit of understanding in a public that cannot fathom why anyone would want to be anything other than healthy and mobile.

But this has been met with great resistance in both the disability activist community and in transgender circles, argues Baril, a visiting scholar of feminist, gender and sexuality studies at Wesleyan University in Middletown, Connecticut.

"They tend to see transabled people as dishonest people, people who try to steal resources from the community, people who would be disrespectful by denying or fetishizing or romanticizing disability reality," Baril says, adding people in both transgender and disabled circles tend to make judgmental or prejudicial statements about transabled people. "Each try to distance themselves."

Baril - who is himself disabled and transgender - believes the transgender community distances itself because it has worked very hard to de-pathologize what's known as ‘gender dysphoria,' and sought its removal from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.

Transability is also known as Body Integrity Identity Disorder, which was only just added to the "emerging measures and models" appendix section of the DSM-5 in 2013. Many transabled people want to see it fully added to the psychiatric bible because it might legitimize their experience in the field of medicine, Baril notes.

12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Looks like a mental illness but I'm not a doctor. And yes we should be tolerant to folks with mental illnesses. However, they must be cared for so as not to harm themselves or others.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I guess this is what freshman psych calls regression. I believe read some related text elsewhere where he acknowledged he was a grown adult, so I assume his childlike behavior doesn't extend to associating with other peoples' kids.

14. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know whether he is mentally ill, I am not a doctor.

What I can tell you is that there is no way in hell I am hiring to work for my firm.

Should people mock him or berate him? No, as far as I can tell he isn't breaking any laws and isn't harming him.

Still....... good luck finding employment.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Soooo. . . . the standard of behavior is .. . . if you not hurting anyone else

Interesting . . . . .

Rocket River

16. Nook

Nook Member

If you use a different standard, you open up a real can of worms.

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

For some people. Transsexuals might stop getting snipped to their desires in the future if outcomes for surgery doesn't improve.

I think if more people had known someone with delusions their opinion of "let them believe whatever they want" might change a bit.

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg, but that is weird as f***. I would accept that in that I wouldn't try to stop it or hate on him, but I'm not celebrating it or viewing it as courageous.

#18 Haymitch, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  19. dragician

dragician Member

FRee country.

20. edwardc

edwardc Member

I don't agree but it's his right to be who he wants to be.