1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should there be Affirmative Action for sports?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by davee, May 28, 2018.

1. davee

davee Member

As you all know, many universities use skin color as a factor when accepting students

They do this to address the imbalance of different ethnicities. For example, Harvard does not have as many African Americans based on population demographics etc. thus they are "underrepresented" and so on

I was having a chat with my professor and I was curious as to should there be Affirmative Action in sports?

White/Mexicans/Asians are underrepresented in most sports in college and pro level like basketball, football etc.

Thoughts/Opinions?

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This ignores the fact that affirmative action is in place to address a long history of discrimination which kept people out of places or denied them opportunities.

In Universities, there is also the idea that a more diverse population serves students of the majority race as well as those of the minority. That experience is a plus for all students.

Sports isn't really an area with a focus on giving people a positive experience with broad diversity. It can happen and it would be great for anyone to have exposure to different cultures even in sports, but that isn't part of the sports education. But it is part of the learning experience for universities.

Sports also don't have a long history of discrimination against whites and denying them opportunities.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I mean, it's only fair right? There's clearly racism at play here, only possible explanation for why any group would ever be underrepresented or why any group would ever be underrepresented when it comes to anything.

In reality though, people can easily see that SJW "logic" is moronic when it is used outside of the areas they choose to use it. Hopefully one day we'll get to a point where most people can see that SJW "logic" is always moronic.

4. Exiled

Exiled Member

I think it should be other way around: should African American pay taxes ! their ancestors worked free for trillions of $.

5. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

6. Buck Turgidson

This is a terribly stupid idea and you should not listen to that professor again.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Affirmative action is around economic opportunity in life, not games.

8. davee

davee Member

"Sports isn't really an area with a focus on giving people a positive experience with broad diversity. It can happen and it would be great for anyone to have exposure to different cultures even in sports, but that isn't part of the sports education. But it is part of the learning experience for universities."

To me, it seems like it should be. In school, sports is part of a well rounded education and development

I played football in high school and felt that was a great experience for me. Lots of people are missing out

9. davee

davee Member

Playing in NBA and making millions seems like an Economic Opportunity to me as well

10. Nook

Nook Member

You sure you didn’t get hit in the head too many times playing football? It would explain a few things.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You are being intentionally obtuse and wasting people's time. We get it, you think Affirmative Action is unfair and ridiculous so you make flawed arguments to demonstrate your point and pat yourself on the back.

TheRealist137 likes this.
  12. davee

davee Member

I am just trying to have a discussion to understand your view point

you stated that it is about Economic Opportunity and I think we can all agree that Sports is a high paying Economic Opportunity and is a big business

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Sports is not an economic opportunity for disadvantaged people.

Also, in sports your performance is very clear and measurable. That is not the case in the professional world and the educational world.

It's like saying that in sports you should make the team based on skills test and not on overall performance.

14. davee

davee Member

so all those that benefit from Affirmative Action are disadvantaged?

You realize that based on how it works, people like Malia Obama will receive more favorable treatment than me who makes $13 an hour, white/male and my dad works in construction and mom a teacher

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

What do you mean by people like Malia? because she is black she gets better treatment or because she is Malia Obama? lol wow

16. davee

davee Member

you were saying that AA helps those "disadvantaged" when it fact is also helps those that are VERY ADVTANTAGED like a Malia Obama who has more privilege than any of us can dream about

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is no doubt that sports can be part of a well-rounded education, but not everyone needs to play sports to get a well-rounded education. There are learning experiences for those that play sports. There are also learning experiences for those that spend their time in other areas.

18. Buck Turgidson

The fact that you keep mentioning "Malia Obama" pretty much tells everyone where you're coming from.

Nook likes this.
  19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

No, they're underrepresented in typical revenue sports; but not elsewhere in the athletic department. I do believe the universities' priorities should shift back to a point when media profits were not the end goal of the athletic program, and fans: including their white classmates, actually saw these competitors as fellow students and intellectual/professional contemporaries. Implementing those changes would probably change basketball and football to more ethnically balanced teams as coaches would just take whoever came and the actual demographics of interested athletes would more closely represent the student body.

Separately, realize that basketball and football are disproportionately black for the same reason historically black colleges are, because whites have more options and have decided others are more valuable or reflective of their position in society. Furthermore understand that every subculture, enterprise or community that is predominately black in this society is that way entirely due to yours or your forebears' initiatives and anxieties, or need for some kind of behavioral or economic outlet for activities and roles with social or political costs from which you wanted some kind of insulation.

#19 Dairy Ashford, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
  20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You're trying to expose a practice by cherry picking the exceptions and portraying them as the rule, it's a classic conservative tactic. If your fear is that Malia Obama is going to take your spot at Harvard because she's black and eligible for affirmative action then I'm going to assure your fears are unfounded.