1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the US accept legal immigrants from "shithole" countries?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 12, 2018.

?

Do you agree with Trump regarding eliminating legal immigration from shithole countries?

1. Yes

9.4%
  2. No

90.6%
  1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I want African immigrants.

And I want people from 'shithole countries' unlike our current president.

My parents came from a 'shithole' country. Trump obviously doesn't want them here. He is the President of his base. He's not my president. He isn't my parents' president. He panders only to his base.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What about you? Did I miss something?

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I was called a racist by bigtexx. Lol

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I asked if you would prefer a wealthy, educated immigrant or a poor, uneducated immigrant. That was my question.

5. fchowd0311

Irony: boobythegreat has less education and professional level skills than the average immigrant from Africa.

He is contributing less than the average immigrant of the past 10 years.

6. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Republicans prefer the latter since the former typically vote democratic. Actually, both typically vote democratic so republicans would prefer less immigration.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL guess I missed that one.

8. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Doesn't matter what country they are from. Trump's statement was ignorant and bordering racist by citing undeveloped areas.

The US has been a country known for accepting immigrants of all status and classes that has opportunity for upwards mobility. Trump wants to change that. Many other countries have stricter immigration that is merit-based. Canada is one of them. Should we change to merit-based immigration or stick with our open acceptance immigration (all legal, of course)?

fchowd0311 likes this.
  9. fchowd0311

What is the premise you are asserting when you are asking me this question?

I'm making my point that Immigrants on average have a higher set of skills than the average American in the past 10 years so your wish had already been granted for a while under the Obama administration.

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Another failure to answer my simple question. Why bring political parties into this question?

11. fchowd0311

Thanks. It's welcoming to see a conservative voice with some common decency in this message board not trying to bend themselves in a pretzel to defend this ****.

I will disagree slightly in your second point because the majority of our immigration is already merit based(h1b visas and student visas). This is emperically evident seeing that in the last ten years, the average immigrant has a higher rate of having a degree and a high level skill than the average American citizen.

We are already bringing in on average higher quality immigrants in terms of skillsets and desired obtainable goals(bringing in a crap ton of STEM students especially from South Asian countries) than the average American.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think the current situation suggests that a merit based immigration system would be preferable to a more open system because the country isn't the same as it was back then when there was effectively no social programs at all and the country just needed people to help fill and develop it. I don't think suggesting a switch to a merit based system is "racist", but for whatever reason these days the lunatics on the left have seemingly determined that meritocracy is racist or bigoted.....which funny enough borders on being a racist way of thinking.

13. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Since I was quoting Nancy Pelosi, I guess you can say he called her a racist.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

Man if the current system isn't merit based and the average immigrant of the past 10 years has a higher level skillset than you, what does that make you?

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So you are saying since everyone has a little racism in them, it's ok for the president to be openly racist?

16. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

No, I said you're racist whether you support Trump or not.

Never said anything about Trump being openly racist.

Don't put words on my screen.

SIL

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What do you define as being a racist?

18. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's a simply stupid question. This thread is about Trump's statement. You came here to defend Trump. But Trump said nothing about wealthy and educated or poor and uneducated. He was indiscriminate in that. All he asked is, why are we letting in immigrants from **** hole countries? So, your question should have been: would you prefer immigrants from **** hole countries or non-**** hole countries?

If we want to take your stupid question seriously: in a vacuum, it wouldn't matter. You would presume both had a desire to better their life by coming to this country and somehow believed in the American dream. Whether or not a random wealthy educated person or a random poor person would be trouble would be totally random. Either one could believe in Tony Montana's America dream. To people who count the government's money as if it's their own, like you, they would take the wealthy one.

But then, this is another reason why your question is stupid, why would a wealthy and educated person leave their country in the first place?

Maybe a better question would have been: would you prefer an educated immigrant or an uneducated immigrant? In that case, it depends on who you are. If you own a bunch of restaurants, the poor and uneducated. If you own an IT company, the wealthy and educated.

19. mick fry

mick fry Member

My bad, Haiti’s not a shithole.

Astrodome likes this.
  20. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

There's definitely a noticeable shift that immigrants arriving are more well-educated nowadays. It still feels like the US has a more open immigration policy as that's the culture this country was founded on, but I'll be honest and say I don't know too much about our immigration requirements.
    Merit-based isn't racist at all. It is unfair to poorer nations that have overall less educated populations, but almost every developed country has stricter merit-based immigration control than the US.