1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the US accept legal immigrants from "shithole" countries?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 12, 2018.

?

Do you agree with Trump regarding eliminating legal immigration from shithole countries?

1. Yes

9.4%
  2. No

90.6%
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

"African Americans believe that they migrated to America in chains" - Sen Durbin when talking about how offensive the words chain migration are...

also to CH...

3. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

the sh!thole countries used to be Ireland, Italy, Poland, then it was China, Japan and now it is Nigeria, Haiti. Looks like people from the previous sh!thole countries tuned out ok, so maybe the current sh!thole countries will be fine as well.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Not eliminate, but definitely limit.

SIL

RocketsLegend likes this.
  5. Carl Herrera

Limit by how much? And why?

6. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Bring in immigrants that have shown exception in a particular field; like students say in math, science, arts or people who have done great humanitarian work and/or exceptional in engineering, medical, technology, etc. with no criminal background not plain Jane folks and/or refugees.

You don't just walk in here, you need to feel like you achieved something. This is a great country, make it better. Don't abuse it.

SIL 2020

SIL

Roc Paint likes this.
  7. Carl Herrera

How exceptional does an immigrant have to be?

And are you saying that the immigrants who run 7-11 and drive taxi are not contributing? Honestly, the country needs more people. Without immigration (of all education and skill levels), shrinking and aging population are a big negative economically.

Agree with no criminal background, don't we check them already? https://www.legallanguage.com/legal-articles/immigration-background-checks/

#7 Carl Herrera, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    snowconeman22 likes this.
  8. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

The depth of it we'd have to iron out, but just from an aggregate view...great talent that you know when you bring he or she or it to Merica, they really can fulfill their potential beyond others in the same situation (against their peers around the world, and in their respective country).

I'd have a budget for about 40-50 full rides from top public unis for international students that cannot be divided into X Latino, Y AA, Z Asian. Or half female, half male. It's just best come first, simple.

I'd have a second tier for others, but it comes with having to work in government for a minimum 7 years after.

SIL

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I disagree , I think that most immigrants have a chip on their shoulder , even more so if they are not already super skilled.

The hardest working people I know come from poor backgrounds and are immigrants or children of immigrants.

Personally , I value hard work over "exceptionally skilled"

Plus , I'd rather not work those bottom of the Barell jobs and I want less competition for the skilled ones.

10. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Fair point, but a lot of poor people come from countries that abuse our benefit policy.

It's not a take take take policy, you gotta give.

SIL

11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Could the policy be better ? Probably .

My opinion is that on the whole there is a lot more giving than taking .

I think the number of hard working immigrants that take undesirable jobs far outweigh those that sit around taking benefits .

12. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Not really concerned about numbers taking vs giving as I'm worried about where we are from a net perspective.

How would you suggest we curtail the policy to limit the taking?

SIL

13. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

If they're educated and won't ask for government assistance then fine. We need to take care of our own people first.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think there is anything wrong with limiting migration from "sh*thole countries", but you shouldn't eliminate it completely. IMO they should switch to a merit based system that rewards people for things like having education or skills and knowing the language so that it becomes easier for those people to get in so that over time that will become the majority of migrants who make it in from most countries.

If you do that and stomp out illegal immigration then I think you pretty much knocked out the entire issue.

Roc Paint likes this.
  15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

First you would have to tell me which specific "taking" you are talking about .

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Wide open or none at all, none of this in between with weird rules bullshit. That goes for all countries.

17. Carl Herrera

How would you define "abuse" and "benefit"? Does it include immigrant children going to a public or charter school and getting free or reduced-price lunch? What about a family getting food stamp while the parent(s) work low-pay jobs at Walmart?

Are we talking about people coming here with the intention of not actually working and just live off checks from the government? I am not sure that the benefits package over in the U.S. is all that great anyway.

Do immigrants from "shithole countries" "abuse benefits policy" (whatever this means) on average more than the Native-born population?

If there are abuses to the system, then by all means do something about such abuse, whoever commits them if you can. Unless there is some evidence that immigrants have a special problem with this, keeping immigrants out doesn't look like a solution.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Neither scenario would work. You can't have it wide open and completely shut wouldn't work either. You need some migration, but taking on all comers is foolish.

19. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Don't come in here and copy what I said.

SIL 2020

@Carl Herrera @snowconeman22 I'll address your points here later.

SIL

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

well based on all the hoopla going on right now and the last few decades the way it is now isn't working so why so quick to not try something else you think wouldn't work? i'd love to replace something that isn't working with something else that isn't working just for the hell of it.