1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Neo-Nazis be allowed to march?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewYorker, Oct 16, 2005.

?

Should Neo-Nazis be allowed to march even if it results in violence?

1. Yes - this is American, anyone can express their beliefs no matter how inflammatory they might be

97 vote(s)
    70.3%
  2. No, that's ridiculous

38 vote(s)
    27.5%
  3. I don't know

3 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It's not a problem. The benefit of free speech wins easily. The government shouldn't decide who gets to hold up signs. the reason that handful of people are nationally known is the media. Thousands of people are unfortunately in cults and cause far more damage to themselves and society.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

so then you agree that a neo-nazi march is disturbing the peace?

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

ISIS and Al-Qaeda wouldn't be given permits to march, neither should Nazis or the Klan.

el gnomo likes this.
  4. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Liberals are against free speech.

5. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Not if they are protesting within the law.

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Conservatives are in favor of making the United States for whites only.

Of course, my statement is just as false as your statement, but I wanted to see if it was fun just posting something completely false since you seem to enjoy doing that.

It turns out that it wasn't really fun at all. I guess I'll leave that up to you.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Not defending Nazism. I'm defending the US Constitution. The Supreme Court has ruled that hate speech is protected speech unless it is likely to cause imminent harm.

#188 durvasa, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Any authoritarian law you pass to target those you don't agree with will end up being used against those you agree with.....so keep that in mind when you are asking to take away the rights of others simply because you don't agree with them, some day people might not agree with you.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

No, they're against normalizing terrorists and murderers the way you want to do of Nazis and the Klan.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The vote is so far roughly 70% to 30% in favor of allowing Nazi to march, even if it results in violence. Don't you proclaim this is a liberal site? How does that square with your statement now?

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I see so being anti-white is disturbing the piece but being anti-color is within the law. Thanks for clarifying.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Are you saying that keep Nazis gathering who are trained in combat and seeking violent confrontation are not likely to cause implement harm?

Sure sounds like you are defending their right to intimidate and strike fear into people.

14. cml750

cml750 Member

The Constitution gives anyone the right to assemble and protest. The Nazis have a Constitutionally protected right to make themselves look like the dumb-asses they are.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. durvasa

The burden of evidence rests with the side who wants to restrict the rights of others. So you tell me -- how many Nazi marches have been held in the US, and how frequently have others been physically harmed as a direct result?

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

This is not correct. You need to re-read the constitution. It's a shame you talk about the constitution without knowing what it actually says. I like how you edit it to suit your agenda.

The burden of proof has been established over a span of evidence from the 1800's to last week in Charlottesville. This is a group bent on violence and not peaceful assembly. They are arguably in the same grouping of Hamas and ISIS and you defend their rights yet do not care for the rights of people they are trying to stamp out.

17. durvasa

Remembering the Nazis in Skokie

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/geoffrey-r-stone/remembering-the-nazis-in_b_188739.html

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Did they carry weapons with them when they marched??? In that specific example, it wasn likely they were going to incite and commit violence.

It's different when the protestors who are marching are coming prepared for battle and carrying weapons and looking forward to the violence.

19. durvasa

I don't know if they were planning to do so or not. In the end, the march was called off.

I think banning weapons in such marches is a reasonable public safety measure. I said so in the thread about the Boston rally.

20. zksb09

zksb09 Member

I agree but Virginia is an open carry state. In the Charlottesville rally, the Nazis came heavily armed, some with semi-automatic weapons. Does that fall into the category of free speech?
    They terrorized a synagogue with armed men outside:
    http://www.newsweek.com/charlottesv...tect-synagogue-nazis-so-it-hired-armed-651260