1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Shams] DeMarcus Cousins tears achilles

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jan 26, 2018.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

To people suggesting trading Cousins: can teams even trade injured players? I thought there was a rule against that. I'm all for swapping Ryno for Cousins (lulz) but I don't think it's possible.

Honestly, I'd do the AD trade AND let Cousins go. I don't think Cousins will be the same after this injury, so it wouldn't make much sense to give him a ton of money.

Don't get me wrong - another team will take a flier on Cousins and throw lots of money at him. But given the fact that he'll miss the first half of next season, and will probably take most of the latter half of the season to get back into playing shape, that's essentially 1 1/2 (this half plus all of next) seasons lost.

This would throw NO into full rebuild mode, but as good as AD and Cousins were, together, I don't think that's enough to win the NBA finals.

2. Newlin

Newlin Member

No, I'm not going to assume his career is over. I'm going to assume that some team gives him a new contract this summer and his career continues. But, as I said earlier, he may never play at the same level.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

No I agree with you 100%. I'd trade AD and not bring back Cousins. At this point you gotta just restart. I was saying that if they intend to keep AD they HAVE to keep Cousins, bum Achilles and all.

4. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Damn, can't imagine a greater betrayal to an athlete than that of your body.

I think that Boogie will come back strong, though, because he wasn't a great athlete to begin with, he's so damn skilled, and he is relatively young. The only thing I would be worried about if I'm investing in him is his mental recovery. Is he strong enough mentally? Could he look at a player like Chris Webber, who did lose a lot athletically to injuries, and see a bright future?

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If you mean give him a lucrative long-term contract, your assumption is probably wrong. Very talented head-cases are one thing, damaged head-cases are another.

We'll see about his career. Cousins will be back but it's very unlikely he returns to form.

6. Newlin

Newlin Member

No, I'm not assuming he will get a huge long term contract(although he might). But, I do assume that there will be a number of teams that will take a chance on him. I don't think his career is over at this point as some may think. If his surgery and rehab goes well, then I can see a lot of teams be interested in him. But, it's going to be interesting to see what the Pels do. They already have one great big man, do they want to go all in on Cousins?

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Bad bad juju. Speedy recovery, boogie.

[​IMG]

8. Exiled

Exiled Member

a very healthy barely used : R.Andreson

mrm32 likes this.
  9. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Its really hard going from I can't stand Cousins and his physical play mixed with flopping....to being empathic..... but #getwell

slothy420 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It's hard to believe that Boogie can't return to an elite level. I think his ability to drive to the basket may regress, but overall he's not a player that plays above the rim and relies on a ton of athleticism. Obviously for his size, he has plenty of athletic ability, but I don't think he will regress to the point he is just a role player. I'd be hesitant about giving him a full max deal though.

JumpMan likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

I hope he recovers to form.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Timeline is 6-10 months

SirIvyLeague likes this.
  14. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Hopefully 6 months.

SIL

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Define "take a chance". That can mean almost anything.

No way the Pels go "all in on Cousins" this summer. No team will do that.

17. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Curry sold his soul to never be seriously injured again.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think 6-7 months seems alright. Say a little prayer for him.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

No way he gets back that quickly. Not for an Achilles for a pro athlete

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Looked like Ariza stumbled on Cousin's foot while landing. Cousins gathered for a jump right after and probably caused the tear.