1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Secret passageway leads to a trove of Nazi artifacts in Argentina

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jun 20, 2017.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Watch the video at the link to check out all the crazy stuff this guy had -- mummies/ etc. I wonder if this stuff may have actually belonged to Josef Mengele or Adolf Eichmann -- they lived very close to the home.
    _____

Behind a bookcase, a secret passageway leads to a trove of Nazi artifacts in Argentina

[​IMG]

The international police agency Interpol discovered one of the largest and most disturbing sets of Nazi artifacts this month in a northern suburb of the Argentine capital, Buenos Aires.

Agents became aware of a collector of historical artifacts who they say had procured items “under UNESCO's red alert,” referring to the United Nations organization tasked with cultural preservation. This month, with the power of a judicial order, they raided the collector's house, according to Clarín, an Argentine newspaper. Behind a bookcase, a secret passageway led to a room where they found the biggest trove of original World War II-era artifacts in Argentina's history.

They were put on display at the Delegation of Argentine Israeli Associations in Buenos Aires on Monday. Many Nazi higher-ups fled to Argentina in the waning days of the war, and investigators believe that officials close to Adolf Hitler brought the artifacts with them. Many items were accompanied by photographs, some with Hitler holding them.

“This is a way to commercialize them, showing that they were used by the horror, by the Fuhrer. There are photos of him with the objects,” Argentine Security Minister Patricia Bullrich told the Associated Press.

The objects include a device used to measure heads, seen in the picture below. Nazis believed that one could distinguish a Jew from someone belonging to the supposed Aryan race by head measurements.

The trove also includes a bust relief of Hitler, magnifying glasses embossed with swastikas (as well as a photo of Hitler holding the same or a similar instrument), a large statue of an eagle above a swastika, silverware, binoculars, a trumpet and a massive swastika-studded hourglass.

Masterminds of the Nazis' Holocaust Josef Mengele and Adolf Eichmann both fled to Argentina as their counterparts were put on trial for war crimes in Germany. Both lived in houses near Béccar, the suburb where the new trove was found.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...geway-a-trove-of-nazi-artifacts-in-argentina/

napalm06 and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  2. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Did they find any Nazi bobbleheads? I'm always trying to add to my collection.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

[​IMG]

$9.95 plus shipping

calcium and No Worries like this.
  5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Can anyone explain to me what Argentina got from housing nazis at that time? Was it architectural, infrastructural, political?

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

The Germans passed on their skills of soccer. Maradona and Messi are the best known fascists.

Jontro likes this.
  7. KingCheetah

After the fall of the Third Reich, South American countries like Argentina became a safe haven for Nazis seeking to escape prosecution. Christopher Klein of History.com writes that Juan Perón, the fascist-leaning Argentine president, established escape routes to smuggle Nazi party members out of Europe. Among the more notorious Nazis to flee to Argentina were Josef Mengele and Adolf Eichmann.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...s-found-secret-room-argentina-home-180963768/

8. donkeypunch

But why? Did he/Argentina get anything besides monies for it, or did Peron himself have intentions to lead a fascist movement? Seems politically charged, but I feel there was much to learn from the Germans at that time. Especially when they were on the verge of taking over the world.

9. KingCheetah

I'm sure vast sums of wealth were transferred to Peron's coffers as it was a massive undertaking to smuggle them through Europe and across the Atlantic. Probably some of the same reasons the US brought Nazis here - technology and political advancement. Just tech for the US but a fascist like Peron may have enjoyed political advise as well.

#9 KingCheetah, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    donkeypunch likes this.
  10. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

What I remember from my Latin HIst 101 class was that Arg and Southern Brazil had a significant amount of German immigrants so a network was already in place. Both countries loved German immigrants for various and sometimes racist reasons. Also Arg sided with the Axis during WW2. Something about trying to bust up US hegemony in the region. Long story short they chose poorly.

KingCheetah and donkeypunch like this.
  11. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

http://www.chimuadventures.com/blog/2016/11/argentina-nazis/

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/06/16/w...fugees-found-the-climate-to-their-liking.html

https://www.thoughtco.com/fugitive-nazi-war-criminals-south-america-2136210

KingCheetah and donkeypunch like this.
  12. donkeypunch

That said, all I can think of is the Zimmerman Telegram and how things could be so different after the first WW if Mexico would have aligned with Germany at that time.

13. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

@donkeypunch There's a new series running on AHC called Nazi Fugitives. I've found it pretty darn good so far. Check it out if you can. It's every Tuesday night at 9 pm central. I think it's listed in On Demand as well.

LonghornFan and donkeypunch like this.
  14. KingCheetah

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Wonder why the Mossad didn't hunt down and kill more of these bastards. I can't believe how long many of them lived after the war.

16. conquistador#11

Those south american u.s backed fascist dictators worshiped nazi war criminals like us minorities worship women with big booties.

I wonder how much all of that was worth. They didn't list a price value.