1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seahawks interested in Duane Brown?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaBeard, Oct 9, 2017.

1. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

"the offensive line has been fine, we don't need him!!"

/gets shown proof (that he already knew) that we have one of the worst offensive lines in football.

"Well.... we are scoring points, so the offensive line can't be that bad!"

Really? lol. Even you should be able to see the logical fallacy there. Or maybe it will take Watson getting hurt from the constant pressure our line gives up for you to realize -- which is funny, because you were the one who didn't want to play Watson this year because of how bad the o-line was. You had other reasons for not wanting him to play too, but you were beat up enough in those threads that I won't re-hash.

I get it though. You're on the losing side, yet again. Now, from the corner you backed yourself into, will come the personal insults, irrelevant counter arguments, and moving of the goal posts. It's expected, brah. You'll reply to every message, right or wrong, trying to get the last word in to save face. Just do me a favor and hold this L while you type up the next set of insults and irrelevant points. :D

Mr. Clutch and No Worries like this.
  2. csj

csj Member

1) It's not making the team worse to exclude Brown from playing, it's keeping the team the way it's been all season. Brown chose to make the team worse by not honoring his contract.

2) For someone with such an ill-considered perspective, you should not be throwing stones. Remember that "adults" created this mess.

3) Excluding Brown is not about failing to make the team better or about punishing Brown. In the long run the team may be better off not playing Brown or even adding him to the game rosters. Taking punitive actions against Brown, which I would be delighted to see but which are likely not possible, would be "punishing a player". I say please do, holdouts hurt the teams, the league, and the fans.

4) I suspect that most people would hope that the team does what's in the best interest of the team, except for those who actively cheerlead players who hold out. I have every confidence that the team feels it is doing just that. If they play Brown, I hope that works out as well because I care about football, not about people's greed and jealousy.

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Yea I'm talking about his holdout fool. He was paid and paid well for the years he cared.

4. csj

csj Member

...an interesting end to a rather long post of nothing but insults and irrelevant points.

houstonstime likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why don't you quote what I actually said....you know, just for fun.

It's odd, "The Texans have been doing just fine without Duane Brown" looks radically different than "the offensive line has been fine, we don't need him!!"

When you have to misrepresent what happened in order to not look like a knuckle dragging window licker......it's not a good thing.

Do better.

Well, that's still not the accurate quote, now is it?

Again, quit embarrassing yourself.

Well, of course I can see the logical fallacy, it's called a strawman. You are attempting to poke holes in an argument that wasn't made.

Ah yes, you've created a strawman, defeated it and thus you claim victory. Brilliant. I just ask that you don't hurt yourself while foolishly patting yourself on the back.

6. LongTimeFan

Now that I've defeated the kids, I'll move on to the newly formed sidekick.

1. If Duane Brown - the best OL on the team - is available to play and the team does not play him, it is the definition of them making the team worse. I'm not even sure how that is arguable? You blame DB for making the team worse by not showing up - which in itself admits that DB makes the team better. Yet you refuse to concede the team would be making the team worse by not playing him if he did show up? It makes no sense.

2. Blame all around here. I don't like what DB is doing and I wish he was there from training camp. But again, I'm an adult and I am able to separate that from what is in the best interest of the team -- which is to have Duane Brown man the LT position. It's a childish mentality to want to punish him for holding out -- it's not a good look for the franchise, team, or its fans.

3. If a player is healthy, active, and available to play -- and you purposefully keep him out so he won't credit for this season in his contract -- that is punishing him. You can agree with the decision to punish him like that or not, but don't pretend like it isn't punishment for his holdout - that's naive.

4. I don't know who is cheerleading players who hold out? What a weird comment. Nobody wants Duane Brown to be holding out -- some understand it, others don't. But that doesn't mean those who understand why he did this are rooting for him to continue it. But you've finally said something we can all agree on -- as fans, we want the team to do whats in their best interest. It should be plainly obvious that playing your pro-bowl LT, when you have one of the worst offensive lines in football, certainly qualifies as doing whats in the teams best interest. Purposefully benching him at the expense of this year's team so that DB loses a year on his contract is the opposite of that.

And for the record, on topic -- I would be fine if they found a trading partner for him and received good compensation. My only issue is those who think he should not be playing for us after he ends the holdout -- that makes no sense.

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

You're full of **** because you don't think that a player who is healthy, available to play, and most importantly under contract doesn't have to he if doesn't want to but don't give team FO's the same liberties with their players.

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

9. csj

csj Member

Brown is not the best OL on the team because he is not on the team. "I'm not even sure how that is arguable?"

If failing to play Brown makes the team worse, then worse than what? Brown hasn't played all year so it can't be worse than it is now. People of even average intellect can understand that. What does that say about you?

It's not childish to want to punish Brown for the holdout, but you can't understand that because of your feeble mind. Regardless, there are better reasons to keep him off the team than "punishment" and maybe when you grow up you'll realize that it may be in the best interest of the team to do that.

To be clear, I would fully support punishing Brown to the degree possible. I believe punitive actions against a player that has intentionally harmed the team IS in the best interest of the team. Furthermore, this is regular practice on teams and literally in every aspect of life. There are other good reasons to hold Brown out that are NOT punishment for Brown and I don't believe, nor did I suggest, Brown be held out for the reason you cite.

Then you aren't paying attention and should really not comment.

There is an existence proof that says you're wrong. If you don't know what that is, look it up or have you parents help you.

People who claim to understand it...don't. At least not as explained here. I suspect I understand it but I can't know, nor can anyone here, because the facts aren't publicly known.

Brown is not a pro-bowl LT since he's not even playing in the league. It was his choice to destroy the good faith he had with the team and his teammates and now the team has to deal with that. If Brown plays, it will be at the expense of another player who is far more deserving (regardless of ability). I know these are lost words on you because you can't accept being so clearly wrong, but that's your problem.

It would make more sense if you invested more time understanding and less time hurling petty insults.

10. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nope, Cushing deserves to go too. He had his chance and just had to spoil it by trying to get an edge. He hurt our team as well, and did it to himself by using PED's.

11. LongTimeFan

:D
    In the same mold as your father, @csj.
    Unfortunately, you too have failed to make a reasoned rebuttal. Surprising, I know -- I thought you might have had something with the "Duane Brown isn't a good OL because he's not currently playing" logic; but then again... woof. That's the best argument?:eek:

Final thought -- I didn't say anything controversial. Facts are facts.

1. Our offensive line is awful.
    2. Duane Brown would instantly be our best OL.

When Duane Brown shows up, I want him in the lineup the next day helping our team win. That's all I want @ipaman . I want to root for the best team we can put on the field. The team owes the fans that.

Some disagree - they'd rather pay him to not play so the team can stick it to him more. A joyous bunch those people are. :)

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  12. ballgame

ballgame Member

Don't get it wrong, we still need him! But I like the fact that we are finding you new talent...... I hope Dorian Jackson and Davenport will develop, where they can play next year

csj likes this.
  13. csj

csj Member

Another straw man. You said, and I quoted, "If Duane Brown - the best OL on the team". I said "Brown is not the best OL on the team because he is not on the team." Nowhere did I say he wasn't "a good OL" for any reason. Nice try, and "That's the best argument?" Argument for what? It's merely refuting your ignorant comment, it's not an argument for anything.

We don't know if Brown would show up in game shape nor whether he would be interesting in helping the team win. If he shows up it will be about money. Fact is, it's not clear Brown would be "instantly be our best OL" but it's very clear he won't be the best teammate. Keep dreaming, though.

The best thing for the team is try to get some value out of Brown and reserve playing time for players who've proven they want to be on the team. That has nothing to do with punishing the player and everything to do with not punishing other players.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Is this kid still at it? I would have thought he'd just take his L and quit.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Arguing with yourself? :)

Fullcourt likes this.
  16. texian

texian Member

True dat.

I want the best OTs we can get protecting Watson. Now.

And since our first draft pick won't happen until Round 3 in 2018 and the upcoming free agent class of OTs is awful, Brown appears to be our only option for the next two years.

If Watson gets injured from a hit given up by one of our OTs, the mantle of blame will lay at the feet of Smith and McNair for not guaranteeing his salary and throwing an extra $M his way -- when we had $20+M just sitting there.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Agree to disagree. Brown is an ASSET in waiting in a limbo state. Like, a future 3rd round draft pick is NOT currently helping the team TODAY, its just an asset toward team building. You COULD trade it for a current player TODAY, but you manage it until best situation comes. You dont just frown on it and dump it because it might be a bust with weed issues.

If Jacksonville Jaguars have Aaron Rodgers's rights but he's staying in his mansion instead of the team facilities, think it'd be "Out of SIGHT > Therefore NON-EXISTENT"? NOT even.

I understand having principles. And yes team chemistry does matter, instead of a bunch of selfish malcontents. Sometimes you get the better teammate over the actual better talent. But too much possible immediate improvement one transaction away to act like there's a huge distance.

18. csj

csj Member

Don't recall saying Brown was NON-EXISTENT, NOT even, nor have I suggested the team "frown on it and dump it". It's amazing how literally every post requires responding to straw man arguments.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think we should be comparing Brown to Aaron Rodgers....comparing him to Ed Reed is closer to reality. Brown is nothing more than an over the hill malcontent looking to rob the franchise and personally I applaud the franchise for not giving in and hurting the team simply because once upon a time he was a really good player.

csj likes this.
  20. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Thats a little extreme in regards to the Ed Reed Comparison. It is more likely than inconceivable that Duane Brown still has some really good football left in him.

csj and red5rocket like this.