1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scouts say D'Antoni went an entire game without calling a play

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sammy, Dec 11, 2018.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It was just one game. And the scout didn’t say we ran no plays; he said MDA didn’t call any. I mean, PnR is the most popular play in basketball. I can’t think of one game where we haven’t run Pistol, either.

I suppose the scout even looks for hand signals, maybe, and never saw any from MDA that game, nor noticeable vocal commands.

I kinda heard it as MDA defiantly watched and let his PGs call all the sets, per the pseudo explanation McMahon gave, quoted in the OP. I can see a player-coach like MDA experiment with seeing how long Harden/Paul might go before they ask the coaches what the heck is happening and where the opponents defensive weakness is...and they never asked.

Wish we knew what game it was.

cbs1507 and HP3 like this.
  2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

MDT don't call plays, never has. His offense is read and react so impossible to call a play before D is set.

3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Steve Kerr went a whole game not even coaching at all and let the players coach.

So what.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

It worked last season. CP3 and Harden were the two best ISO players in the league.

What happened?

Who knows? There was no point changing it last year, but this year D'Antoni might need to switch off of what is no longer working.

5. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Yea, it's generally needed. Clippers would be the only team not playing any sort of great PG/playmaker significant minutes, but the Clippers are very well coached and have a lot of borderline All-Star types and great depth.

HP3 likes this.
  6. heypartner

Did you listen to the podcast? The first 8 minutes (prior to the quote leading to this thread) was talking about how Paul looks washed and sucks this year at everything he did last year.

Which is partly why I think McMahon mentioned the no play-call game as possibly a moment of defiance by MDA as a disagreement with a stubborn Paul....pure guess, though. But it didn't seem like a critique of MDA.

Lowe went to commercial right after the quote, so we didn't get any expanded discussion from Lowe.

HP3 likes this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

Yea and you could even say Lou Williams is that guy for the Clippers in closing minutes of the game.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I don't see the issue. Bill O'Brien does this every game.

sammy and BigShasta like this.
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Back in the day, they called this game plan "NBA JAM"

[​IMG]

RyanB likes this.
  10. heypartner

I once scored 250 points running ISO every play on this

[​IMG]

Of course, back in those days there was no passing. Right @Dr of Dunk

11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Of course he doesnt call plays - his stars dont listen to him.... (que 'has MDA lost the locker room thread')

MDA has become a figure head... he sold his soul to Moreyball... We dont run an MDA offense - no ball movement, no plays, no fast pace, no quick easy buckets - just iso and chuckin 3's...

He doesn't call plays...
    He doesn't call timeouts...
    He doesn't make adjustments...
    He doesn't develop guys...
    He doesn't have a clue about defense...
    and we don't run his offense...

explain to me again why we have this guy?

oh yeh... because of last years success... as janet Jackson said "I know he used to do nice stuff for you - but what has he done for you late-ly?"

I'm tellin y'all this is all payback for MDA/Bzdelik/DM doin Melo dirty...

#51 kjayp, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  12. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Our head coach does terrible job on adjustments.

I cant remember we get any win because of MDA's adjustment.

13. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

sammy likes this.
  14. hakeemthagreat

The Rockets haven't really ran plays since MDA got here. MDA has said it, CP said it & so has James Harden. They go out their way to not run plays. I don't know if it's the right move but apparently they think so

15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

The real blame is on Les for selling the farm to get Chris Paul and pack the team in order to sell it high. This meant we had our window. We are out of pieces to trade and make significant upgrades. We don't even have decent SF's when we had two last year. This is a LES problem from last year and we are done. Our window only opens if GSW have significant roster loss.

16. riko

riko Member

Paul has significantly slowed down due to injuries and is not anywhere the player he was but still can show glimpses and Harden is busy playing dumb right now

17. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

What does that matter? We dont rebound in the first place

18. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

I wish Rick Adelman would come back.

He needs to start coaching, and stop just yelling at the refs.

HP3 likes this.
  19. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Are you calling Jeremy Lin a star...?

heypartner likes this.
  20. heypartner

that's not true. That's like saying Sloan and Stockton never ran plays, since Sloan didn't need to signal "PnR" to Stockton.

Maybe you read something about the PGs improvise the decision-making and are in control of running the plays. But I can show you our offense. And I can show you several coaches talking about it. Heck, listen to the podcast in the OP, Lowe talks about some of our plays.

I guess I just don't see why fans say stuff like this. imo, it shows lack of interest in basketball.

jordnnnn likes this.