1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SciFi Cinema] Ridley Scott's 'Alien: Covenant'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Dec 24, 2016.

1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I'm not even gonna pretend to be excited. Scott has made 2 genuine masterpieces, 3 great films and a boatload of garbage. This includes that abortion that was Prometheus.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

not gonna lie, i watched maybe 30% of prometheus and skipped around till the end. don't even remember what happens except for the parts from the "how it should have ended" youtube vids.

3. 713

713 Member

I liked Prometheus. It wasn't Ridley Scott's best film but it wasn't terrible. This one looks more scary like the original Alien. I'm down.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I thought Prometheus had some interesting concepts and thought the movie was visually stunning but lacked a really solid ... you know... point or direction for the central characters of the film. The stupid decisions they made took away from what was supposed to be the more thrilling parts of the film.

I walked away always wishing they would have stayed with the original script which was really just a simple alien prequel with actual Xenomorphs. Instead it seemed Ridley wanted to pimp the Alien universe in order to make a science adventure drama. That was the problem of that film I came to but I still found it decent enough and worthy of a follow up.

Also it seemed like Ridley was trying to MAKE Prometheus scary instead of having a really scary concept to work with. The scary moments always felt a little shoehorned in.

So this trailer looks cool and all but looks like we are going to have to see the movie first to know if this film has something new to say and is an excellent Alien film as a stand alone or is Ridley simply making the original skript Prometheus movie that got aborted which is simply "explorers want to find our creator, black goo, Xeno carnage". Also is the main character we will be following have a thrilling and stressful story to follow or will the scary beats be shoehorned in like they were with Prometheus?

That is the main question I have with this film that the teaser trailer can't answer.

#4 dobro1229, Dec 25, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  5. Rox11

Rox11 Member

This looks like a replica of Prometheus, why are we not continuing the story with David and finding the engineers? And second im baffled about Prometheus, it was one of the most straight forward stories for me I still don't understand how people are so confused with it and continue to complain?

ubigred and tinman like this.
  6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Space? I'm in.

daywalker02 and Torn n Frayed like this.
  7. CCorn

CCorn Member

They're making a Prometheus sequel too. Covenant is a prequel to the very first film if I remember correctly.

8. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

I think Covenant is the sequel to Prometheus. Several of the characters in Prometheus are billed to be in this movie too.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This is going to be better than that POS movie called the Arrival.

10. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Yes it's the sequel, plot synopsis says they meet David;

"the crew of the colony ship Covenant discover what they think is an uncharted paradise, but it is actually a dark, dangerous world, whose sole inhabitant is the synthetic David, survivor of the doomed Prometheus expedition."

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

My mistake. I was thinking of aliens 5.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm intrigued and I liked the horror touches in the trailer. I was dissappointed in Prometheus because I had pretty high expectations for it. That said while I flawed movie I still think it was better than much out there and it was a movie that was thought provoking and expected thought to be put into it.

13. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

The worst part of Prometheus was the girl who fell into the trope of running along the lengthwise axis of a falling object instead of across it. If they never put that into another movie, that would be nice.

ubigred likes this.
  14. hooroo

hooroo Member

I don't get the "let's connect with today's audience by using a go pro effect & having scenes that look like a game cinematic".

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So they stitched David back together ?

16. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

I believe this will be a different David altogether. The original David and Noomi Rapace's character are in this for about 5 min.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The basic premise is that a crew lands on a world with a synthetic that looks like David but is a new model. They find David, the sole survivor of Prometheus. Appears dr Shaw will appear in flashbacks.

Snow Villiers likes this.
  18. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Trailer doesn't leave me super ecstatic or anything. Feels very familiar to other alien movies, so right now I'm a bit underwhelmed. Honestly I'd rather see what Blomkamp can do with a direct Aliens sequel.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Welp, they done found a purtier planet at least. British Columbia sayz hai.

Yes, underwhelmed, but it may be a good move: back away from vacuous philosophy and get back to horror of the original.

20. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

Which 2 are you saying are his masterpieces? Also, I enjoyed Prometheus. I don't think of it as great but certainly it isn't terrible.