1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Pressly signed to 2 year extension - $17.5 million

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by torque, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I was told that when the asking price was too high this summer for an elite starter, that the Astros would revisit it at the trade deadline where the cost for rentals is far less. I have no idea how the single deadline will effect costs..... but the thought from MMP was that they didn't need another ace in April, only in September.

desihooper likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

It'll take a couple of years with the new reliever usage rule, but I'm interested to see how this all plays out for guys like Smith or your classic Loogy-type, who just cannot get the oppo-handed batters out.

Nook likes this.
  3. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I love Pressly, but Harris at 4.5 million is kinda close and might be more in terms of value. Harris was an all-star, 4 straight seasons with a whip under 1.1 and 2 of those seasons under 1, and Harris has a overall WAR of 5.7 compared to 4.9 for Pressly in about the same number of years. Pressly has never had a season with a WHIP under 1.1.

Harris is good value at 4.5. Pressly COULD be an overpay if he pitches more like he did as a Twin than an Astro.

4. Nook

Nook Member

I understand your points, but I am a lot more confident in Pressly going forward than Harris.

Joshfast and kaleidosky like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Age and stuff are on Pressly's side. Then again until recently they would have been on Devo's side too, and now we're hoping for a comeback.

It's hard to project most relievers over multiple years. Luhnow and the gang know him a ton better than I do, and are better able to forecast injury potential, after I saw him all of ~25 games last year.

Nook likes this.
  6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

62% of the projected pitching war is two guys. Yea, id say your right.