1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Pressly signed to 2 year extension - $17.5 million

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by torque, Mar 19, 2019.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Love it.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

And yet he still pitched in the memorable Memorial Day Game.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not only that, the Memorial Day game was a rather pedestrian 5-1 Astros victory over the Yankees.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Pressly didn't play in that game.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

In 2017.

6. bobrek

DELETED due to misunderstanding

7. bobrek

I see...I thought he was talking about that terrible 10-9 Indians game last year (day before Memorial Day). Didn't realize he was talking about the Twins meltdown in 2017

8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I know everyone is pumped about the Bregman deal but to me this Pressly deal was even more important for continuing to contend the next couple years. Bregman was under control for 4 years anyway. After this season Harris, Rondon, and Smith are free agents and Pressly would have been walking out the door with them. Now, you have your 8th and 9th innings guys locked up for 3 years. It's much easier to fill in the bottom of the pen in free agency instead of paying closer/setup prices in free agency. Also, with the arms we are seeing in spring training with JBB, Guduan, Garza, Bielak, etc... all could be contributors to the pen not to long from now.

9. Buck Turgidson

I thought you were at that Twins game eating pretzels and queso?

10. bobrek

I was....I even told the people we are wth that the Astros are fixing to score 9 runs as they scored 11.

That original comment about the Astros must think they can fix Pressley, completely threw me since he was so good for them last season.

11. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, he was arguably the best reliever in baseball the 2nd half of last season.

Nook likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

The '22 option will most likely vest, given Pressly is as good as they think he is going to be. Bullpen in good shape going forward.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

So basically a team option for 10 million in year 3.

If he can maintain the level we saw last year that is a pretty big deal.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Bullpen is going to be stellar moving forward. 3 years with Osuna and Pressly. Expect Pressly’s option will vest for the fourth season from now. Mixed in with what they’ve found in James, Guduan, Valdez, etc and the barrage of options among prospects.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Talent wise, yes. But, this depends on an effective and healthy starting rotation. Otherwise, overtaxing the pen becomes a real possibility.

Many here dont seem concerned about losing Morton, DK and McCullers. I hope these folks are right. Personally, I am in wait and see mode.

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Pressly and Osuna are only gonna be pitching in the 8th-9th innings, in which even good starters are almost always out of the game. They will only be taxed if we play a bunch of close games.

The middle relief is a little more up in the air, but I'm pretty much of the mindset that solid middle relievers are very easy to find. We may even have dominant ones given the firepower some of our young arms have. If we need to we can just scoop one up in a trade without even giving away a top 10 prospect. The starters are a real thing to be concerned about, but middle relief is the most easily acquirable thing in baseball if it turns out to be a real issue.

Regardless, our 2 back end hammers shouldn't feel any effects

kaleidosky likes this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    https://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=SP

Fangraphs has the Astros projected as the 3rd best rotation. Looking at this table, Astros look to be fine as long as Verlander and Cole pitch well. The health of these two should be the biggest concern.

James and Peacock are the only spots I see as potential for major non-injury downside (i.e., a lot variance likely in their projections and projection is at least 1 WAR). Astros get nothing from those two and Astros drop to 6th. I'm taking the under on McHugh and Miley's FIPs provided they are healthy.

If things don't work out for Astros, I think they try to add a starter at the deadline. Even if things work out, Astros might add a starter at the deadline.

kaleidosky likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Ryan Pressly may not get 40 saves a season like Chapman or Jansen or Kimbrel, but he is every bit as good as they are.

The Astros made some adjustments with him and they paid off.

I am really excited by this extension and the 3rd year option as well.

You cannot tell me that Tony Sipp is worth 3/18 or Joe Smith is worth 2/15 or even Harris at 4.5 million are a better value that Pressly at 8.75..... I'll take one Pressly over all those guys combined.