1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ryan Bernardoni] Kings could be setting up to take Ryan Anderson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Jul 18, 2018.

1. MeloMan15

MeloMan15 Member

What kind of asset or asset can we get back from the Hornets in a Batum for Anderson trade? I know Batum is expensive and overpaid but I think he would be an excellent replacement for Ariza and we can get back maybe multiple assets from the Hornets.

D-rock likes this.
  2. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Ty

3. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Still have 0 idea why there's interest here for Batum. His value is in sort of being a ball handling point forward, maybe a pretty good defender and we don't need that whatsoever for the salary he commands. He's not a good shooter, is on the old side, and has massive injury concerns.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

yes, but comparing how we fared last year with ariza/prince 7'2" wingspans vs harden's 6'10.75" or bazemore's 6'11.5"........it's just going to be that much easier for opposing elite wings to go off on us at the rim and shooting over the top. i mean maybe there is no available answer out there to adequately replace ariza/prince now. but imo bazemore clearly is not the answer.

D-rock likes this.
  5. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think nobody is particularly interested in Batum, it's just an option to consider if there's literally nothing else we can do with Anderson.

xtruroyaltyx and Baqui99 like this.
  6. Chamillionaire

Plus his salary is a little bit more than what he deserves imo. I'd rather wait and see if there aren't better options.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Bazemore isn't under contract yet...... What is the wingspan of Ennis?

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

6'11.5"

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you.

Batum is 6’8” with a wingspan of 7’4”. He is agile enough to guard 1’s and long enough to guard 4’s and even stretch 5’s. The Rockets switch more than any team in the league. The Rockets can’t just put Harden on 3’s defensively because of switching.

What it all comes down to is Batum’s health, the role he is asked to play and his motivation. The Rockets roster and style of play is perfect for him to thrive.

However will TF pay the LT and repeaters tax for an extra year by taking on Batum’s extra year? Does Charlotte want to swap Batum for one less year of Ryan Anderson? Most teams would, but Jordan isn’t most owners.

RHU525, D-rock, studogg and 1 other person like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Harden very well age well. My main point is how many players at 33-34 are you going to extend for the max and start trying to piece around them players to compete for a title? Off the top of my head I can only think of LeBron James. I just can’t see another team offering Harden the full max at 33-34 years old.

saleem and Shark44 like this.
  11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly!!! Is it worth giving up future draft picks for? We already gave up almost all of our young future prospects the past 3 years.

If only we were flies on the wall and knew the real truth. Do he and the new wife just have other priorities that don't involve the city of Houston or the Rockets. Maybe they just want to move to Cali and get out of here. Only they know the real truth. If that's the case, then he is no good to us. Do we just trade him off at whatever it costs us in the future, or just say get out there and play wing like he should for 20 million dollars he signed up for!!!! Nobody will ever want him if he keeps this up for another year.

If he really does care, and is doing everything possible to get better and nothing is working because his confidence is simply shot, and he panics with the ball in his hand then maybe he needs someone screaming "shoot the ball" over and over in practice every time it is passed to him until it becomes second nature not to just throw it straight back to Harden like it is now. I have no idea how long he practices shooting 3's every day, but maybe he doesn't work hard enough, or maybe he does, but then there is a whole lot more going on in his head. If that is the case, then we need to find a psychiatrist who can actually help the guy.

#371 deb4rockets, Jul 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    saleem likes this.
  12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

as far as health, i think only his elbow has really been a problem but that's not something recurring, rite?

his shaky FG % (from both inside/outside the arc) is what would make me hesitant to make the deal. otherwise defensively as well as being able to fit into the offense as a part-time facillitator, you're right he'd fit perfectly with us. being able to drive and finish above the rim when defenders close out would also open up our offense so much. just imagine 3 starters who could all get into the lane and throw the lob up to capela. lastly, he's proven to be a clutch shotmaker in the past

alas, i have high doubts that tilman can stomach that repeater tax, much less any significant LT

D-rock likes this.
  13. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

I have occasion to bump into ryno for a few seconds at a time, so no obvious insight into his mindset. But each time he struck me as a bit down on himself. Surprised (pleasantly) if anyone knew who he was. I lean toward shot confidence. A lot in his head.

14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thing is, that is something worth working on I think, instead of just giving up the draft pics or losing the money we are paying.

15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Yes, I can probably agree on that point depending on how he's playing at that age. We just gave CP3 $160M at 33 and he's far more brittle than Harden. Depending on Capela's deal and development, his contract could be expiring as well. At this stage we're positioned for a 3-4 year run where we can be competitive and I'm sure DM will keep looking to improve us along the way.

16. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Wartiors still had big third quarters against those long wingspans.

17. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Batum is capable of being a key rotation piece against the Warriors; Ryan Anderson isn’t. Batum is the same age as Eric Gordon, so I wouldn’t call that old (both turn 30 this season). Also, since 2012, Batum’s played in 73, 82, 71, 70, 77, and 64 games, so I’m not seeing the massive injury concern you do. The 64 games played last year was due to a freak elbow injury he suffered in the preseason. Also, everyone here would like a competent emergency point guard in case CP3 gets hurt in the playoffs again. Batum can be the secondary playmaker next to Harden in such a scenario.

The only reason the Hornets would consider a Batum for Ryno swap is to get out of the third year of Batum’s deal. But, if (and it’s a huge if) Tillman is willing to absorb the financial implications in future seasons, it is one way the Rockets can unload Anderson and get a rotation piece in return.

RHU525 and D-rock like this.
  18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am 50/50 on Batum right now. I could be talked into it I suppose. To be fair, in 2016 FA I wanted Batum. I wanted him because the Rockets needed a secondary playmaker. The Hornets offered more money and the Rockets had to get Ryan Anderson. UGH! Rockets eventually filled that secondary playmaker role with CP3 and to a lesser extent EGO. Better values.

The thing about Batum....it doesn't feel like a Morey move. Does Batum strike you as a player that will "out play his contract?" Because that is the type of players Morey said he is after. What that phrase REALLY MEANS though, is "will this player be easily tradable if we have to pivot." Morey doesn't want to be boxed in (Hello Anderson contract).

Now, juxtapose Batum's deal with Bazemore for example. Could Morey eventually flip Bazemore? Yes. Could Morey flip EGO and slot Bazemore into EGO's rotation spot? Yes.

I just don't see Batum being Morey's play.

Other than Bazemore, the Rockets could revisit the Blazers and a "Harkless/Leonard" package. I don't know the Blazers level of interest in Anderson but they need shooting. Leonard is a sunk cost. But Anderson's contract gets split in 2. The key here is Harkless. He isn;'t sexy, but he is a starting level SF that can shoot 3s. He is useful. And then next year BOTH of them are movable 10M expiring contracts.

Little Bit likes this.
  19. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Please be quite with this batum talk... that contract is toxic waste... even worse than ryan Anderson.....

dude is OVERPAYED and injury prone... and doesnt do much to our needle and add massive tax bill.

Please.....shh

Richie_Rich and saleem like this.
  20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Batum also has had an Achilles tendon injury. I'm not sure exactly when though. He hasn't been able to recover from the elbow injury properly. He can't be relied upon to be a reliable jump shooter. No one needs his gigantic contract. Just use Ennis at 1/20 the cost. The Rockets will most probably be stuck with Anderson until his contract runs out. No one will want to pay 21 M dollars for him in his expiring year either, unless he does become Steve Austin.