1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets to offer Harden another extension

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 20, 2017.

1. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

boom

2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

A little overstated.

The Celtics were good early in Lebron's time in Miami and the pacers gave them all they could take a couple years ago too.

3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

This is weird right? Extensions usually just come out of nowhere and when it's already signed. It's weird that "The Rockets plan on offering an extension" news comes out before it's signed. What is going on?

4. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

When LBJ's were good enough he won and when his teams were not good enough he lost. No he's not the G.O.A.T he's a top 10 player all-time who has won 3 rings. The Rox need to build a roster that can win a title and that means having more than one guy.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh ok their two toughest opponents besides a very young bulls team. what a struggle going through the likes of sixers, knicks, bucks, bobcats, nets

6. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I didn't say it was as difficult as the west. What I said was that "cakewalk" was a little overstated.

8. Newlin

Newlin Member

Probably better to wait until April. That's when the season really begins. Everything that happens from October through March is just a way for players and owners to get money from the fans..

9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I hear ya... DMs batting % has gone down a bit in the last couple years... But I gotta give him props for constantly trying and scheming to try to improve the team... He doesn't just hand out stupid contracts to the Stromile swifts and Kelvin Cato's of the league and call it a day... Imo he gets too caught up swinging for a homerun when he could just take the stand up double... but again, I dont fault the man for trying to dramatically improve the team...

He obviously has a blindspot when it comes to chemistry and personnel relations... but he's a numbers guy, so you take the good with the bad...

Also he has Les... so it's not always clear what to attribute to DM and what is on Les... For example, I think Morey wanted JVG and to get us some balance on offense/defense... Les said screw that I want MDA all offense all the time... personally, I'd have preferred JVG - this team needs some discipline and accountability imo... I dont think we would have seen that game 6 sh*t show with JVG... but wo MDA we may not have made it that far period... so who's to say...

Biggest negative on DM imo is the way he's placated Harden... he's given the guy way too much control... He's been given power like he's MJ, Kobe or LeBron... Guys like Curry, Durant, Westbrook and Kawhi dont control their teams like Harden does here... but again idk if thats DM or Les...

just like our players... I'll never fault a guy who's trying hard and giving his best for the good of the team... which is what I think DM does... I may not always agree with priorities or certain moves... but I believe the guy is giving his all...

deshen likes this.
  10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

The west was soooo tough that a team with "sorry" James Harden as its main cog won 55 games and finished 3rd. And in the playoffs the Warriors swept the field. Sounds tough. SMH.

#250 TEXNIFICENT, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  11. kjayp

Trying to use the extension as a free agent draw... come to Houston, harden will be here for the entire duration of your 4 year contract.... plus 'Look Les isnt cheap, he's given Harden back to back extensions' It's all being done in this fashion for the benefit of the free agent pool...

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup compared to the east when you can consistently have a losing record and still make the playoffs. man that's tough. what a juggernaut the east is omg

13. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I see your point about showing that Les isn't cheap, but the first part only works if Harden actually signs it.

14. kjayp

He'll sign it... james doesn't turn down money (who of us would...lol) and he knows re-signing with the Rox allows maximum contract $$$... couple that with the state tax savings... and Houston is his opportunity to maximize his earnings... The only caveats would be if he could get more endorsement money in a market like LA or NY... but he's got his fat Adidas contract already.... so its a bird in the hand scenario.... or if he decides to force a trade and take that fat contract to a larger market - but then he gives up the state tax savings... James is a businessman, he's gonna maximize his earning potential...

15. Sajan

Sajan Member

I say the Rockets would have won a championship say 4-5 years ago with the current team..i.e. before the super teams started forming.

But unfortunately we are in a transition period with the cap increase where there's a mix of old and new contracts that allow some teams like GSW to be stacked.

So moving forward what we need is not get rid of harden but to find more players of that caliber to join us. whether that's cp3, PG..whatever.
    20 years ago 1 superstar + really good role players were enough.
    5-7 years ago maybe 2 + good role players.
    Now we are approaching 3-4 star players. The rockets have a dramatic drop off in talent after harden.

On the flip side I don't think super teams are sustainable once the role players start demanding more money. Eventually the cap will affect everyone but in the meantime we need to add players before harden sees a drop in his production.

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He beat them after resting for three rounds.

LBJ would certainly have struggled more in the West. Facts.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What is Lebron's finals record against the West again? :D

Now add 3 more rounds against the Spurs, Clippers, Rockets, Lakers, Mavericks, Warriors, Grizz, etc, over the last 15 years. GOOD luck.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

remember when you needed at least about 50 wins just to make it as the 8th seed in the East. yeah me either

RudyTBag likes this.
  19. clos4life

clos4life Member

20. hakeemthagreat

You can make a argument Lebron wouldn't have even got to the finals playing in the West. The east is that weak