1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets to offer Harden another extension

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 20, 2017.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Chron

While planning their summer roster moves, the Rockets "plan" to take a step that will allow them to tell potential free agents that star guard James Harden will not be going anywhere.

For the second consecutive season, the Rockets intend to offer Harden a contract extension long before he could hit free agency, a person will knowledge of the team's plans said Tuesday. The individual spoke on the condition of anonymity because the team's intentions have not been made public.

The Rockets "plan to extend James Harden at the first opportunity," the individual said. "That is the plan."

Harden was the lone unanimous All-NBA first-team player, making him eligible for a full contract extension that would be worth as much as $168 million over four years. That is in addition to the $58.7 million he is due to make in the next two seasons.

Harden signed an extension last summer, keeping him under contract at least through the 2018-19 season. He has a player option for the following season.

The Rockets do not have the cap room for a top free agent, but could make moves to open cap space if needed. The Los Angeles Times reported that Chris Paul would visit the Rockets as a free agent next month. Signing Paul would move Harden back to his shooting guard spot, but would also likely require the confidence that Harden would remain with the team that would come with a contract extension.

The Rockets also could seek a deal for Pacers star Paul George, who has reportedly told the Pacers he intends to leave the team as a free agent after next season.

The Rockets are among the teams that would be willing to gamble that they could sign George, if they acquire him going into his final season under contract., according to a person with knowledge of the teams thinking. The Rockets, however, do not have a pick in the first round of Thursday's draft to offer in a deal.​

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Well... I guess thats what Morey had up his sleeve.

da_juice, rocketman84, Caesar and 2 others like this.
  3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Half of Clutchfans faints

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

if Harden denies the extension then things could get real interesting next summer

BigShasta, rocketman84 and mario_v like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

FIFY :)

jordnnnn likes this.
  6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

LOCK HIM UP!

7. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I doubt that's what he was referring to. I don't know how signing your best player to an extension increases your risk profile. Also that hasn't really been a secret.

34to11 likes this.
  8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Yes please

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

To the extent that players want to play with Harden, having him locked up for more years (and avoiding speculation + drama heading into his final non-option year) would make the team a more attractive destination, no?

Deuce, Patience, da_juice and 6 others like this.
  10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Rockets have sold their soul to Jim Harden. Bend over backwards Daryl Maury

lw17, RESINator, kjayp and 1 other person like this.
  11. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I think it's pretty much a done deal otherwise they wouldn't have let Feigen break the news

BigShasta likes this.
  12. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Yes. Also helps Rockets reputation that they take care of their stars.

Deuce, Patience and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

Caesar, BigMaloe, gatsby and 3 others like this.
  14. lionaire

lionaire Member

Best move we can make all summer

bilaal14, BigMaloe, YaoMing#1 and 2 others like this.
  15. caneks

caneks Rookie

Morey prevents this club from any chance of championship much longer than I thought. Enjoy the ride.

lw17 and kjayp like this.
  16. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Yeah locking a top 5 player in his prime up is preventing this team from winning a championship. Clutchfans is so exhausting sometimes.

17. caneks

caneks Rookie

There will be no chance of that.

18. caneks

caneks Rookie

top 5? in your own dream, perhaps. Put Harden in any of those final teams this season, could he be a top 5 in all the players of those 2 teams? I doubt it.

#18 caneks, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    lw17 likes this.
  19. finsraider

finsraider Member

This would lock up Harden for the next 6 years with no immediate impact to his cap hit. No brainer.

Paul George really seems like the linchpin to this. IF we can get him, my guess is Harden signs the extension and CP3 comes to Houston. I don't really believe the "LA or Bust" story on George. Let's say the Rockets have a great year and George makes an All-NBA team, which makes him eligible for a $200+ million contract. You're telling me he's going to leave Harden, CP3 and $200 million for the Lakers, who are saddled with bad contracts and don't have any proven youth? I don't buy it.

To be clear, I think the Lakers end up trading for him. Something like Clarkson, Randle and something else.

#19 finsraider, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  20. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

And apparently all-NBA teams voters' dreams too? The only unanimous first teamer. I don't understand where Rockets fans get this sense of entitlement that the team should be built with completely infallible super stars. It's bizarre. Harden, with all his faults, is by far the greatest player since Hakeem. Some of you are so ridiculous.