1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets meeting with Looney on Sunday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Jun 29, 2019.

1. RoyalGuard

RoyalGuard Member

Sismt we meet with Iguodala as well? Yea.... nothing here

2. xaos

xaos Member

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Well **** it then! If he's unrestricted then I'm all aboard the Looney train.

I don't think we can offer him much special in terms of cash, The best we can offer him taxpayer MLE which is 6/18, could throw a player option on the last year of that as well. What we can offer that is special, is a guaranteed starting position with 30+ mpg, and that his stock will blow up playing alongside Harden and Paul

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Right, in fact the Warriors can pay him more than us lol.

amaru likes this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

JR says full bird rights, which means they can offer him anything up to a max I believe.

Still, I feel like the sales pitch of "Hey, you see how you b****ed Capela? Well he's got 90 million playing next to Harden, wanna see how much you can get in his role?" Which is a pretty strong pitch.

rocketexastros, xaos and Vivi like this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

box score looks like trash, but he’s barely gotten any significant PT in his career

didn’t even play 20 minutes a game this past season

rocketexastros and ClutchFam like this.
  7. Vivi

Vivi Member

I guess so, although if for some reason the Warriors offer him like 8/10M, i just don't see him turning that money down.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wow. No kidding? They went cheap on him. No wonder he's looking around. With Oakland (I'm calling them Oakland while I can, dammit) looking at shelling out some big bucks to keep a couple of their starters, they could be cutting corners. This coming season, they aren't competing for a championship and they have to know it. I just don't see how they could. This could be a chance to snap up someone they'll miss. I tend to agree with whoever said he'd look better with the Rockets. He's likely to get starter minutes with us, can play the 4/5, which we need, and is a defensive presence. Big wingspan. Looney's young and should still be improving. Low risk and possibly good reward, in my opinion.

We might be able to get him for under the MLE, leaving us a bit to sign someone else. Worth a try.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nook, amaru and Vivi like this.
  10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

You guys are nuts. Kevin Looney is a solid role player. Capela averaged 17 and 13 this season and played solid D all season long. It's ridiculous how badly Capela is now underrated on this board.

If you can get Kevon, great, but he is no full time Capela replacement. He will be serviceable, but you guys will turn on him quickly the minute he isn't producing Capela numbers.

The ability for James to turn random players into pick and roll gods is also overrated by many of y'all. Lol.

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Looney Tunes getting action

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yeah, it depends if we wants to bet on himself. Warriors never played him more than 20 min per game on average, even in the playoffs. It's hard to imagine a better situation than a starting position on the Rockets for increasing a young bigs stock.

Noel and Looney should be dying to play next to Harden TBH, I feel like it would guarantee them a 55+ mill contract the next time they hit FA.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'll be surprised if we get him thinking he's our starting 5, unless Morey sees something I don't. I think he can get a lot more minutes than he did with Oakland, though, and become a big part of our rotation. If he ends up getting a starting gig here, great, but I'm not looking at him as likely a starter. He would get that kind of playing time, though, in my opinion.

14. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

You're crazy, throw the whole MLE at him at pray.

rocketexastros likes this.
  15. xaos

xaos Member

If we are replacing Clint/Gordon with Jimmy/Looney then yeah, it's worth being excited about.

I honestly don't know if there is a 'perfect' center out there for us (hits threes, switch defense, sets screens, catches lobs) but Looney would play an exceptional role here and wouldn't back down from big moments.

rocketexastros likes this.
  16. Vivi

Vivi Member

That's true, although i wonder how effective he would be in that role. Because one thing is to play 20 minutes, most of the times as a backup on the best team/defense in the league, another is to start and play full time against guys like Jokic, Gobert, in a team where he would likely have more responsability on defense, he would see less ball movement on offense...i'm telling you, although i like Looney, moving Clint to replace him with Kevon as a full time starter, would be a very risky move.

Aruba77 likes this.
  17. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

This is ok. If warriors match, it eats more in their cap

18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

It does no such thing. They are over the cap. They have his bird rights so it has nothing to do with cutting into the exception. The only thing it does is cost them 3 or 4 dollars for every one they pay him bc of the tax.

19. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Tell him to bring his birth certificate, certified please.

20. macan

macan Member

so out of all these star players free agency..we got a meeting with loonie...
    come on man..
    the fact is that no one wanna come to Houston! SMH