1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets meeting with Looney on Sunday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

He’s good. He rebounds at a high level and play good defense; protects the rim well and he can pass the ball. He can be a double-double guy but he’s a 12 pt a game guy at best. He’s only 23 and has like a 7’6” wing-span. I like him. I just don’t know how we are gonna afford him. He’s gonna make $8-10 mil per on the market.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the key to a championship formula

3. AB423

AB423 Member

Better to pay 5 mil than 20 mil to bobble passes.

KelvinCato13, vlaurelio and amaru like this.
  4. amaru

amaru Member

It's definitely possible that they might decide to let him walk. It's definitely worth kicking the tires. We need an upgrade over Capela and Looney is that.

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Even though i was just thinking that they might have bird rights on him, now i'm not sure, so, they might still be able to offer him more than the minimum or than a non bird offer and retain him...but at least he's not restricted.

6. amaru

amaru Member

I'd think that they would look to retain Looney and try to get guards/wings on minimum contracts. But who knows.

7. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

He is a smart player, understands his role and always at the right place most of the times. Still I think hell be wearing the warriors Jersey next season.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

They can do both. Looney is their restricted FA, they can match him, and still spend their TP-MLE.

At this point, I think the Warriors would match a full NT-TPE of 4/40, they have no reason not to with Durant and Cousins leaving.

@BimaThug, is there any type of poison pill we could offer on this?

joshuaao likes this.
  9. Vivi

Vivi Member

Bro, i told you two days ago, and other two guys told you here that he's not restricted :D they cannot match anyuthing, he'll sign for whicever team he wants ;)

tc0330 likes this.
  10. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Looney would be better in Houston... Capela used Houston system to his advantage

vlaurelio likes this.
  11. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Your line of thinking is that of a loser mentality. We would be MUCH better with Looney as a backup to Clint than guys like Nene who got ridiculous time in the playoffs. Problem is that Looney will cost us about 13 million to acquire. Would absolutely be worth dumping Shumpert and ithers to get him.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kevon is unrestricted & Warriors have full bird rights.

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

My guess is that they'll use their MLE on a guy like Danny Green/Ariza in order to have a solid player to play in the starting 5 until Klay is back and to give Iguodala some rest once the playoffs will start, but if they have at least early bird rights on Looney (which is what i think, pretty sure he has been there for at least two years) they could pay him more than the minimum even without using the MLE on him.

amaru likes this.
  14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Wait, why isn't he restricted? They drafted him, he was a 1st round pick?

I'm confused AF!

[​IMG]

15. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

For those b****ing and whining about Looney do yourself a favor and STFU.
    All PO time I heard MF crying about how horrible Clint was against GS and now that we have a chance to move him for a guy who does the same things if not better for much less money all the sudden Clint is our savior, man STFU.
    I would move Clint 10 times out 10 if I could get someone who does the same things he does at a much cheaper price. There’s guys like Looney, DJ, McGee, and even Chandler to some degree that can do everything Clint does, there’s no need to spend that much money on a C that can’t score or that shrinks in the big moments.
    I’d be very happy if we got Looney at a cheap cost and fill out our roster when this Butler ordeal falls apart.

16. pass_to_Hakeem

No but he will be an upgrade over Capela!!!

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Of course we would be much better with Looney backing up Clint instead of Nene, Einstein. But we can't dump or trade Shumpert to get him. And the problem is we have literally zero guards/wings on the bench as today, while we have already a young and potentially good center to backup Clint so, where are you going to use the MLE, where do you have a hole or where you're already covered?

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Warriors declined his 4th year option, re-signed him for the minimum.

19. Vivi

Vivi Member

I guess he signed a one year deal as a rookie or they renounced him just to resign him for cheap.

Yep, thanks @J.R.

xaos and ThatBoyNick like this.
  20. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I had no idea his box score numbers were so trash. Career high 6.3 ppg and 5.2 rpg. In 2017 4.0 ppg and 3.3 rpg

All I knew was he was 27th in the entire league in RPM!