1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets may be the 2nd best team ever assembled

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, May 15, 2019.

1. jayfree

jayfree Member

History will make out the Rockets to be the 1990 New York Knicks or 1960s Wilt Chamberlain to Bill Russell but honestly this team stepped toe to toe with one of the greatest teams of all time in every game over the past two seasons.

It hurts to see a team assembled to be a top contender and in any other decade could be a dynasty themselves lose, but truth be told if it weren't for the Warriors team the Rockets would have never brought together the talent they have now.

The Warriors did their thing first through the draft and then added a #1 player in the NBA, while the Rockets created their team from castaways or up and comers and yet the teams were almost equal in every way except one.... Confidence to win the big game when it matters. This does not make the Rockets choke artist or failures, but a team that just happens to have been born in the wrong decade.

Perhaps if KD leaves this coming summer we will see the decline of the Warriors to a degree, but I believe the Rockets have built a team that can compete for the next two to three years at this high level and I expect them to take home at least one ring in that time frame. History will not allow this Rockets team to be considered one of the best because they weren't able to beat the best in their era... but looks are deceiving as we may very well be seeing the second best team ever to play this game of basketball of all time.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good thread. best thread since the end of the season.

3. TheSource

TheSource Member

If you ain’t first you’re last

4. bmelo

bmelo Member

Lmao we didnt even reach one finals

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Big if true.

htwnbandit, JW86, whiskeyred and 3 others like this.
  6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This thread is pretty crazy.

However, what you're really asking is "How can you call them #2 when they didn't even beat #1?"

Good question....

ipaman, nemac, onreego and 1 other person like this.
  7. BigBum

BigBum Member

Both Tucker and Paul are 35 years old next playoffs.

Sign Jimmy Butler 4-year tax MLE, then I would agree the 2nd best team ever of all time.

Hakeemtheking and jayfree like this.
  8. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

so you're saying there's a chance? we do have one, albeit a small one even without KD.

jayfree likes this.
  9. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Calling the warriors “arguably” the greatest team ever is a joke. They are far and away the greatest team ever

Jayzers_100, lw17, tochiee22 and 3 others like this.
  10. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Incredibly stupid thread. Funny though!

11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

no one can take this away from us.

[​IMG]

hakeem94 and Nook like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

GSW team looks like Top 5 of Alltime for sure but arguable because we have no time device to bring in the historic teams of the past.

I want to see this year's Rockets play the 94 Rockets and the 95 Rockets first before I comment on this.

And while they are at it, let them play the Spurs Duncan franchise, Lakers franchise, Celtics franchise, and and the Bulls.

I would also luv to see them play the Piston bad boys and see if the physicality holds.

The NBA probably decides on the rules.

bmelo and smp like this.
  13. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

This Rockets team is 2nd best team of all time? Is this even the 2nd best team in Rockets history? Serious question.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Really, all I heard most of the year is how overrated curry, Klay and green are and the media is biased in favor of them

lw17 likes this.
  15. bmelo

bmelo Member

Just cause they are superior doesnt mean they cant get beaten and have no bad days that team nr 2 ever could capitalize. Can you imagine Bulls with MJ could loose g1, g5 and g6 we just Lost? I can not but I can think of several teams that would kick this years GSW butt

16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Let's wait and see how the rest of the playoffs go for GS before proclaiming this

17. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

hakeem94, topfive and treyk3 like this.
  18. SemisolidSnake

Tired of hearing this BS that these Warriors are the "best team ever assembled."

From 1957 to 1969, the Celtics won 11 championships. They had 8 HoFers on the team in multiple years, 7 in other years, 6 in other years, and so on. See here. And if you don't think those guys could ball, go check out some footage of them on the Wilt Chamberlain archive. (It's much more than just Wilt.) Like this video of Bob Cousy.

Oh, but it's a different game nowadays blah blah blah, 3 pointers, blah. Um, it's a much softer game. The pace is slower. But those guys back then could still shoot from distance. They just didn't have a line. And, that team in particular, being led by the ultracompetitive Bill Russell would not have shown any mercy to today's Warriors in ANY era. Green wouldn't last 5 minutes trying the stuff he does, and as for the rest of the Warriors, well, to quote Russell, they'd have "run [them] into the ground."

The more I learn and watch of the Russell-Auerbach Celtics, the more terrifying they look. Just like the more I learn about Wilt, the more I'm convinced that he'd be the most athletic, dominating player in any era of basketball, past, present, or future.

mastan, lw17, daywalker02 and 7 others like this.
  19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Pro NBA athletes today make guys from the 50s-60s look like high school kids.

20. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Yes, and Jesse Owens would crush Usain Bolt in a footrace.

Invisible Fan, Patience, lw17 and 5 others like this.