1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets coverage has always been bad, but what gives here? [DISGUSTING]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LosPollosHermanos, Feb 15, 2019.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

This article is on the front page of yahoo, *titled so cleverly I may add* :

I want to see what everyone else's opinion is. Writer's of these articles, which I see all over start with something similar to what this writer did---
    Then the writer takes a turn and attempts to act neutral as if that's what everybody is thinking but they are just trying to take middle ground. They are filled with bias and don't even have the balls to stand their position. "James Harden is good! [INSERT cherry picked stats that all make him look bad] . I found this incredibly disgusting. I have never seen these type of jabs directed towards another team/player.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Enjoy James Harden and the Rockets while you can, because their style may not be sustainable in playoffs
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/enjoy-...e-may-not-sustainable-playoffs-200042483.html

Take One: The Houston Rockets are must-watch

We get it. You think the Rockets are boring. They run the same plays over and over again. All they do is flop and shoot free throws. Maybe they’re even ruining basketball. Who isn’t these days, right?

Houston’s offense operates with rigid discipline. The Rockets run and run James Harden off screens until he finds a tenable matchup to exploit. Tenable, so we’re clear, is a loosely defined term for a player who only needs a sliver of space to shoot from anywhere on the floor, whose combined ball-handling and strength psychs out defenders and referees alike.

[​IMG]
    Everyone knows what James Harden is going to do and he does it anyway. (Getty Images)
    It is repetitive, sure, but in a way that’s endlessly fascinating. The Rockets repeatedly put the ball in the hands of the one of the NBA’s most creative, destructive scorers and wait for him to find a sieve — or create one. Harden now holds the second-longest 30-point scoring streak in NBA history, breaking 31 games in Wednesday night’s loss to the Minnesota Timberwolves, and he’s averaging a league-scorching 36.5 points per game.

I’d argue all that makes the Rockets more watchable than most teams, which dilly-dally for possessions at a time, only looking to optimize in the face of urgency. You won’t find any freewheeling action from Iguodala-types in Houston. Even Austin Rivers has (mostly) held himself in check. Every time I turn on a Rockets game, Harden or Chris Paul has possession of the ball and is on the cusp of doing something. The game becomes a successive highlight reel that doesn’t allow you to turn the dial.

[​IMG]
    (Yahoo illustration/Amber Matsumoto)
    The same quality that makes the Rockets so entertaining right now — and will likely garner Harden a second MVP — might be what hurts them in the playoffs again. The fuse is burning bright: Harden holds the ball an average of 9.6 seconds when he touches it, the highest mark in the NBA. His usage rate is 39 percent, smashing second place by 7 percent. What Harden’s doing might not be the best idea for the Rockets’ future outlook.

But it’s definitely not boring. Even on defense, an opponent can make a name for himself with a signature moment against Harden — just ask Josh Okogie.

[​IMG]

Okogie gets the huge block on Harden in the third quarter
    As for as Harden’s high free-throw attempts bogging the game down, I won’t be convinced that a generation that cuts away to their iPhone screen 50 times per day is that bothered by an opportunity to look away from the action. When Harden’s playing, it’s the only chance you’re going to get.

2. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

That's the general consensus of Harden and the Rockets outside of CF.

s3ts and harold bingo like this.
  3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

This is not true. For fans of teams that post online//reddit etc, sure. But over 90% of NBA fans don't feel this way. They are conditioned to feeling this way by the stupid ****ing media.

Hard_foul likes this.
  4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm not so sure the shade was intended, b/c this same author penned a very complimentary article on harden just a couple weeks prior:

https://sports.yahoo.com/lebron-james-james-harden-playing-another-set-rules-151509461.html

That’s certainly the case with Harden. He leads the league in drives, at 19.7 per game, but he only gets 3.5 of his 13.5 driving points from the free-throw line. The rest are because of his uncanny strength and finishing ability, a feather’s touch and, recently, an ability to scare his defenders into submission with the threat of the whistle. (Remember when the Lakers defended him with their arms behind their backs?) He also leads the league in points from pull-up jumpers, one of the toughest shots in the game. The Ringer’s Zach Kram put it best: Eliminate free throws, and Harden would still lead the NBA in scoring. Harden’s ability to get to the line doesn’t make his game gimmicky. He utilizes the game’s most effective gimmick better than anyone else because he can still beat you every other way.

5. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

This is the same reason why people hate republicans. The news makes people think that we’re evil, horrible people. Media has a lot of power.

diehardrockets likes this.
  6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The media in the NBA is not driving the narrative. It’s just got lazy people who jump to the most accessible takes when it comes to our team. The haterade crowd on Reddit and NBA twitter are the real culprits. Mass men who have no capability for independent thought and operate on an almost cult-like level in their ability to ignore their eyes and spin things in the most pejorative way regarding Harden and the Rockets.

In that way, they resemble Trump fans rather than liberals.

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  7. Entropy

Entropy Member

ESPN on a regular basis is clearly driving the narrative against Harden. This last week alone it's been open season to hate on Harden. "Harden doesn't play defense like Giannis. Harden's style of play isn't popular to other players. Harden only cares about his 30 pt streak. Harden chokes when it matters, etc etc." That is all coming from the mainstream news media, not just some random dudes spouting off their opinion on reddit. They're also increasing bias against Harden by holding players like Paul George up to the MVP spotlight for his 47 pt triple double, even though Harden has had multiple 40 + triple doubles this season already. Tear him down with one hand, and build up his opposition with the other.

BigMaloe and slothy420 like this.
  8. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Right, but I wasn’t talking about “trump fans” I was talking about republicans. Media makes people think that’s the same thing.

Spacemoth likes this.
  9. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Harden and CP3 need to use their brands to promote the Rockets

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Controversy gets clicks, that's why media outlets always beat the dead horse on both extremes of the argument. Greatest ever or hollow stats is the perfect way to bring all Rockets fans to one side and non-Rocket fans to the other, and have them engage with each other and share the content online.

Don't take it personally, but you got played.

rocks123 and Handles like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's more sustainable with a healthy and functioning Capela than without him.

Severe Rockets Fan likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Out of 17 people he was chosen

13. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

If you’re “disgusted” by this mostly complimentary and entirely accurate article then you live an incredibly sheltered and insecure life.

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

People are so offended that neutral fans don't enjoy Harden's style of play.

Do you want to force them to enjoy it or something?

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Team just has a bad image. From Morey playing 4D chess with players to the style of the offense. Players here get branded and it's become sort of bad boy Pistons without the hardware.

If Les was still owner he would have made a big name splash to offset the negativity.

16. vick

vick Member

Talk is cheap. The only thing that matters is the end result .No matter what happens the end result I'd 30 teams trying to win the Championship. Money injuries, only final outcome is in the history books.Right now Rockets are a 5 seed. After season is over, Morey and Tilman will be seen by what the results show. If Rockets continue like they are headed, apathy will set in and Houston fans will watch the Texans and Astros. Even the Dynamo and Houston Cougars. Which is a much cheaper ticket. I live in Northern, their football team won the ultimate rewards. They won the National Championship. Out of all the 6a teams in America they won. With 20 dollars you see a sport that is pure, not like the stained Rockets.

17. vick

vick Member

Spell check sucks. I live in North Shore. Home of the Mustangs.

18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I agree with this to an extent. I was a writer for my college newspaper, and a lot of my classmates ended up going into journalism professionally. At least for the ones I worked with at Duke, they all ascribe to a high degree of journalistic ethics and do their best to present the facts impartially. Maybe the biggest problem is that there no longer is a conservative party represented by the two options you are given. One party has maintained its stance of grandiose spending plans in the hopes of maintaining social safety nets which are only a fraction as effective as they are made to be. Where the other party has also adopted grandiose spending plans, that are really deceptions placed on the American people, of how their wealth will be funneled away from the middle class into the pockets of their buddies in the top 0.1%.

Contrast this to the mainstream media in both politics and sports which is increasingly moving away from print journalism towards the tabloidy 24hrs new cycle with "pundits" bloviating about things they don't know about. Hence the total ignorance surrounding what Harden and the Rockets are all about.

MultipleSauces and smp like this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I'm more pissed off that neutral fans and haters can regurgitate false sht on Harden to convert more haters. Honestly that video about Harden not playing defense will b the stench he will never get off.