1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Mueller, Former F.B.I. Director, Is Named Special Counsel for Russia Investigation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, May 17, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The other issue is that if there is going to be an investigation into the firing of Comey when it comes to potential obstruction of justice, not only would Mueller have to recuse himself or be fired but Rosenstein would also have to recuse himself as a potential witness in that investigation. Things could get really weird if they keep going down that road.

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you ever spoke well of Ken Starr, you've lost the right to complain about witch hints and fishing expeditions.

Newt complaining about Mulller is laugh out loud ironic.

B-Bob, Deckard, No Worries and 3 others like this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Lou Dobbs interviewing Bolton. Guessing Hannity and Gregg Jarrett were unavailable.

How long did the Watergate investigation take? And what limits were placed on that investigation? Or more recently, how long to the House Benghazi investigation take? What limits were placed on that?

And what exactly does "independent investigation" mean to you?

I understand your interest in limiting the investigation, both in time and scope. But partisan interests aside, wouldn't it be better to completely clear Trump if he didn't do anything? Shouldn't that be foremost in everyone's mind's?

justtxyank likes this.
  4. NewRoxFan

Boy, must be pretty bad when your lawyer decides he needs to lawyer up...

btw, Vice President Pence on his own lawyering up:

I guess for this administration lawyering up "is very routine, very routine"...

No Worries and justtxyank like this.
  5. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Add Rod Rosenstein to the list of people Trump wants to fire.

Comey: Fired.
    Mueller: Might be fired.
    Rosenstein: Might be fired.
    Sessions: Willing to resign.

Who's left at DOJ? I'm sure Kushner could run it!

Amiga and justtxyank like this.
  6. NewRoxFan

Hmmm... maybe Trump's spokeswoman was on to something...

No Worries and ghettocheeze like this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's a tangled web. When you need to investigate something like that it's hard to find people far enough removed from the situation in order to investigate it without conflict of interest. All of the people you listed were either incompetent (Comey) or are too close to the situation to avoid conflict of interest. They'll need to bring in someone truly removed from the situation and not a close friend to witnesses or potential witnesses themselves if they want this to continue.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Lol.

London'sBurning likes this.
  9. NewRoxFan

And those that remember the last time a president under investigation complained of "witch hunts"

10. Anticope

Anticope Member

So, basically, obstruct enough justice and there'll be nobody left to investigate you. That seems to be the strategy here.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Has someone hacked this account? This isn't really you. I can't believe that the poster formerly known as pgabriel would be this unwilling to look at actual facts. I tend to believe that this is someone who has hacked the account in order to not be seen as ridiculous as the other paid propagandist on this site who nobody takes seriously. The phrasing patterns seem different as well.

You didn't address any of the issues I mentioned. I said previously that I hope that Trump is not found guilty of collusion with the Russians. I also mentioned why if he was found not guilty, he would be a much worse president and the worst negotiator ever to hold the office, but I would prefer that then to have him colluding with the Russians.

Trump did not entirely fund his campaign. He took millions in donations and constantly solicited more money in donations.

I've always maintained and continue to maintain that it isn't possible to know if the Russian interference influenced the outcome of the election or not. I'm not really that concerned with that.

What is not disputable is that the Russians did try to meddle, they committed espionage against the United States in efforts to subvert our democracy and influence the election. It isn't really possible to know how if they were successful or not.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, not at all, the issue here is that the investigation turned from being a Russia investigation, which Mueller had no conflict of interest, to one that is investigating the firing of one of his personal friends. Given that the Russia investigation was into members of Trumps election anyone involved would have to recuse themselves which is why Sessions had to. Now that the investigation is into potential obstruction of justice when it comes to Comey being fired, Mueller has a conflict of interest due to a personal friendship with the guy claiming that he was wrongfully terminated. Also since Rosenstein suggested to the president that Comey be fired, he has to recuse himself due to being potentially involved in the investigation.

The issue here is that you need to get people removed from the situation if you want to go in this direction, not that "so much justice was obstructed", in fact, there's been no evidence shown of obstruction of justice thus far. I think it's something that should legitimately be investigated, just not by those who are currently investigating it. If Mueller was a personal friend of Trump, you would see the problem and him being a personal friend of Comey is no different.

13. NewRoxFan

Trump campaign aid also lawyers up today. See... Trump is creating job growth!

Former Trump campaign aide lawyers up amid House Intel probe
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/f...ers-up-amid-house-intel-probe/article/2626236

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I literally loled out.

15. adoo

adoo Member

according to team Trump, it's all about the leaks, no better eg than this gem by the leaker-in-chief

#375 adoo, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Fascinating, but I think a photo of Goofy covering his Mini-Johnson would be more appropriate.

[​IMG]

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That can't be real, that is pathetic

DD

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

All of these "older" people getting online the last several years and posting to twitter is turning out to be comical. They keep contradicting themselves to the point that you can not even keep up with it anymore.

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

LOL.

"Karma's a b****."
    Kenneth Starr

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It absolutely looks like that may be the case. There is also another Trump appointee at the DOJ under Rodenstein that is likely to go along with Trump's plan to remove Mueller if they can convince Rosenstein to recuse himself which would be a move in order to avoid a Saturday night massacre where multiple DOJ officials get fired to get to someone who will fire the special prosecutor.

But to your point, I believe now the strategy will absolutely be to obstruct to the point where this goes back to congress where they would absolutely have a good shot at getting inside help from Devon Nunes and Paul Ryan in shutting this down.

The big difference in Watergate was the fact that Nixon didn't have a party who truly had the power to shut down an investigation like Trump has. We now have ultimate proof that if you don't care about the politics and overall approval of the large majority of the US public, you can get away with anything in our government as President if you control the House and senate.