1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Mueller, Former F.B.I. Director, Is Named Special Counsel for Russia Investigation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, May 17, 2017.

1. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

You guys are all wrong about Rudy...
    [​IMG]

Buck Turgidson and B-Bob like this.
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Nice to know the President consulted a dictionary before using "Council" in lieu of "Counsel" again.

Nook likes this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Speaking of Rudy...

Giuliani's history raises legal questions as he takes on Trump defense
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/21/giuliani-trump-defense-questions-544703

Giuliani is the guy you call as a last resort
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/20/opin...-trump-team-now-what-louis-opinion/index.html

and best of all...

Peas in a pod: The long and twisted relationship between Donald Trump and Rudy Giuliani
    http://beta.nydailynews.com/opinion...rump-rudy-giuliani-peas-pod-article-1.2776357

i actually met Rudy... a company I worked for hired him to speak at a customer event in Orlando years ago. Creepy guy. Creeeeepy guy. Always surrounded by security, spoke for 40 minutes from a rambling, thoughts of the moment speech, then his security team scurried him out. I've met Ross Perot and worked for Carly... and as unlikable and aloof as Carly was, Rudy was a whole different level of weird.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Fits with @Rashmon's suggestion.

Rashmon likes this.
  5. NewRoxFan

is Michael Flynn's son calling Pence a liar? btw, love that he is now branding his dad "American Patriot" (patent pending)

mdrowe00 likes this.
  6. B-Bob

Is this narrative suggesting that people who willingly worked for Donald Trump can end up calling one another "liars" in public?

That seems like fake news.

7. NewRoxFan

Hmm... maybe Michael Flynn's son is the liar here...

or... EVERYONE connected to trump is lying?

8. Nook

Nook Member

What an absolute **** show this administration is.

B-Bob and mdrowe00 like this.
  9. NewRoxFan

Former GWB press secretary tries the "Mueller is not investigating collusion" trump defense... and gets shot down...

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

In Flynn Jr.s defense here, he's probably not incorrect. It was most definitely a Pence lie, and Flynn likely never lied about it as he was likely directed to do so, and thought it was legal (Logan Act is a never used statute so its debatable if violating it is technically illegal if its not enforced).

Taking Pence at his word is in fact a media blunder from day 1. Why they still say the "well HE TOLD PENCE a lie" statement in the media is pretty baffling. Of course he didn't lie to Pence, and of course Pence is lying to the media when he said that Flynn lied to him because Pence knows how un-patriotic it would be to undermine US policy when you are not even in office yet. Legal or not, it was highly un-ethical.

They fired Flynn to try and save their own arses.

But Flynn's discussions with Russians regarding sanctions were only a small part of why Flynn was being investigated. His relationship with Turkey, and his ability to be blackmailed by Russia were two of the bigger reasons why he was a problem for the White House and our government.

Flynn Jr.'s suggestion here that he didn't lie to the FBI though is patently false as that is what he is admitting to in his guilty plea. The big question though is WAS HE ORDERED by the White House to do so? Knowing Flynn, he probably doesn't do a GDamn thing without the blessing of Trump which is why he's such a liability as a cooperating witness.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  11. B-Bob

But Ari is correct in terms of public opinion and the politics of the situation, I think.

If the investigation turns up criminal charges that 45 (the author of "Trump Steaks" and "Trump University" and hundreds of jilted contractors) has shady business dealings, the American public will mostly say "well, duh," followed shortly by, "I guess this really was a fishing expedition."

If his business dealings compromise his independence, and he is specifically compromised wrt Russian, then that's a totally different matter and, in the court of public opinion, I think a lot of independent-minded citizens would see that as a good thing to know and resolve.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

But, if Mueller discovered and could prove serious financial crimes committed by a president, do you really think he should (ethically) ignore them, given that he has a remit that could at least be reasonably argued empowers him to pursue?

Consider Jeff Sessions' policy here. He has ordered federal prosecutors to "charge and pursue the most serious, readily provable offense." He says the policy is moral and just and fully uses the power bestowed by Congress. He said his prosecutors "deserve to be unhandcuffed and not micromanaged from Washington." If this is the philosophy regarding drug crimes, doesn't it logically follow to do the same for whatever white collar crimes his special prosecutor might find. Sessions wouldn't want a drug kingpin to go free to honor some conservative interpretation of the parameters of the investigation.

13. B-Bob

Please don't mistake me. I agree w you for the world of logic and whatever there is of an informed public.

I meant in the court of citizens more interested in the NFL draft or reality television than they are in the minutiae of this DC business. "Oh so Donald didn't handle his paperwork properly in some hotel in an unpronounceable country? Who cares? What does that have to do with the Russia crap?"

14. NewRoxFan

So no surprise... trump's story to Coney was a lie... though I believe trump separately admitted he stayed at the hotel, and I think there were other witness corroboration that he stayed in the hotel, including his bodyguard you indicated trump had a room (the only unclear part was whether there were also Russian hookers and golden liquids in the room with trump)

15. B-Bob

So... on a factual basis, can we compare these three parts of the Steele dossier?
    1. Parts that have been confirmed.
    2. Parts that have been proven false.
    3. Parts that are neither proven nor disproven, no matter how, um, extreme they may sound.

From what I've read, #1 continues to grow. #2 is pretty small. #3 is still substantial as well, but it's shrinking.

16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Trump said "his head never hit a pillow -- even for one night"

were drugs involved?

drugs, hookers, golden juices friday sundown to sat sunrise

17. Nook

Nook Member

If Robert Mueller uncovers something illegal, be it collusion or something else, he has an ethical obligation to at an absolute minimum refer it to another to investigate, if not to investigate it himself.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Sure. And I suppose I wasn't responding so much to you specifically but to the idea that Mueller should stick to his knitting, with such knitting being very tightly defined. I just don't see how it is possible in good conscience for a federal prosecutor to look the other way if he finds something. Let the courts or the Congress tell him his findings are inadmissible, but it is the role of prosecutors to seek convictions.

19. prohibido

prohibido Member

I don't know of any piece of the dossier that has been proven to be false. There is quite a bit that is yet to be verified, but as far as I know nothing at all has been proven false.

B-Bob likes this.
  20. NewRoxFan