1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

River City Rockfest

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CCity Zero, Sep 22, 2018.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Anyone go? I'm here waiting for the bigger bands but it's been decent. Definitely metal/industrial lineup vs ACL.

So cheap too, probably the cheapest I've seen NIN in the past few years. I'm only posting because a bit of down time before the bands I'm here for play.

2. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

It was awesome and the weather was perfect in my opinion.

Gold metal level people watching for sure.

Living Color was better than I expected them to be. Hadn't seen Suicidal Tendencies since the early 90's and even there was some cracking in the audio during the set, it was awesome. It was funny to later watch some of the ST crowd rocking out to Joan Jett. This was like my 22nd time to see Primus and they all ways kill it. Watched STP on the screen and it's just not the same without Scott Weiland. NIN was good. I hadn't seen them since the pretty hate machine tour so I really enjoyed it. Great time overall.

3. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Who did you go to see?

4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, damn, sounds like you did the same thing I did! Yes, Living Color really surprised me, they sounded great, I saw some of ST and then during their last bit of their set ran over and saw some of All that Remains, they're pretty heavy from what I usually listen to but was curious. Then I pretty much did the exact same thing you did for the later bands (I was thinking of checking out Chevelle but missed them from getting drinks and food etc). I did go over out of curiosity during STP but ended up going back to the other stage to wait for NIN and watched them on the 3 screens they had going (like what you did, you def didn't miss anything other than the walk from BL stage to Monster stage and back haha)

Without Weiland, STP just isn't the same... It's like the new singer is trying too hard to be/replace Weiland and it's not something that can be done, I was really hoping but it just wasn't good. For example, when I saw Alice in Chains recently I think Cantrell did a lot better job finding a new frontman (like he can sing the old songs but can perform on his own and isn't trying to just copy Layne etc.), I mean AiC's new music (3 studio releases now after Layne) is pretty good, but STPs new songs just don't seem right, maybe he'll change as it goes on but it just seemed more like a cover band (even with the rest of the original line up still playing great).

Primus was awesome, and honestly Claypool probably should have been moved just before NIN with how STP performed. NIN was wonderful, pretty much the highlight for me, I highly recommend seeing them again when they tour. Trent has still got it for sure. But for the overall price, the weather holding up it was awesome. I'm honestly looking forward to next year's already.

I mean I got the tickets when they were $60, and for that price and the amount of bands you can't beat it. I mean when I saw Depeche Mode and NIN (not together, haha but separate shows) over at the F1/360 amp the prices were easily $100 for just them iirc. Don't get me wrong those were awesome shows, but for the price that was one of the best line ups I've seen recently. Hell even paying the $90 or whatever it was if you didn't get early pricing was still worth it.

On a side note I went and bought a windbreaker and never used it, I had a hell of a time finding one since ut was playing tcu, I went to Academy on Friday and they had like nothing left... Of course, then it didn't rain and was pretty much the perfect day so def not complaining.

One last thing, I thought it was cool NIN covered Bowie's song (I know it's been covered and released by NIN, when Bowie originally wrote it), but it was cool to see it live and for Trent to mention him. Man, I can't believe it's almost coming up on 2 yrs.

Torn n Frayed and VooDooPope like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

I did not know this was an actual thing until 7am Monday morning. Damn.

CCity Zero and VooDooPope like this.
  6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

The event? Yeah, I am definitely going to keep an eye out for next year's band list. I think this is the 6th year now, it used to be held during Memorial day weekend but this was the first time I went and knew about it, the Fallish weather was a very nice change, as I'm sure the Memorial weekend dates were hot.

VooDooPope likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Couldn't have gone anyway, but damn yall could have told me.

VooDooPope and CCity Zero like this.
  8. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Depending on the band list I'll probably be going again next year. It really was a great time and man the people watching was off the charts good. Buncha freaks out there and it was easy to blend right in. :)

9. Buck Turgidson

I miss freaks. Don't get enough of 'em up here.

CCity Zero and VooDooPope like this.
  10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Are there no new bands? I swear I was looking at a lineup from 2002.

11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Sadly, it's like they're becoming rare (at least the really good ones). There's new bands I'm sure but maybe my nostalgia is holding me back. Hahah