1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rice Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by mikus, Jan 3, 2017.

1. mikus

mikus Member

I guess I will start a thread about the basketball Owls this year. The Owls are currently 12-4 this year so far and have some decent talent for the first time in a few years. Since I am sure no one here, outside of other Rice alums follow the team, I'll post some interesting stats. This from Dec 28 and we have played 2 games since then but:

Rice National Ranks:
    49.4%FG #23 NCAA
    85.0 PPG #21 NCAA
    9.5 3PTM #39 NCAA
    39.9% 3PT #T27
    #1 Egor Koulechov 60% 3PT

Yes we have a guy shooting almost 60% from 3 and the team shoots close to ~40%. I think right now Egor is at 58.7% on 4.2 attempts per game. I don't think they are quite ready to make a run at the NCAA yet, but this is a team of mostly freshman and sophomores so maybe in another year or two, though anything can happen in the conference tournament. The only truly formidable team in CUSA this year is MTSU, the team that upset Michigan State last year and destroyed a 1/4 of the brackets nationwide.

And to relate this back to the Rockets, I've seen both JVG and Harden at the home games twice each in the last 2 years.

kevC likes this.
  2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

They have been balling. I wish they beat Tech earlier. They had a 5 point lead with a minute left :(.

Jones '10

mikus likes this.
  3. mikus

mikus Member

Yes that was heartbreaking. Gotta make those free throws at the end :( The Owls are 4 pts away from being 14-2 which might have put thoughts of an NCAA bid in my head, but I think it's still a year or two early. Though I will be glad to be surprised like with the Rockets this year.