1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Revisiting George Bush Jr.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Feb 20, 2018.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This guy was vilified so much. I was also really critical of him.

But in hindsight, I feel like he was a decent man. He was surrounded by some people who seem a bit shady to me, like Cheney and Rumsfeld. But it seems to me that this guy's heart was and is actually in the right place, no matter whether you agree with all of his decisions or not.

What do the leftists on this forum think about him, now that you have Trump?

[​IMG]

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Yes...Bush is a decent man. Proven by his post-presidency activities. The Neo-cons that surrounded him where pure evil.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I imagine this is similar to how Republicans felt about Clinton after they had to deal with Obama. When you continue to lower the bar, the past starts to look much better.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Well he started two wars and destroyed the world's economy so yeah, he's pretty much earned that. I mean he's the one who hired Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, etc and didn't get rid of them. Bush is also the guy who used anti-gay marriage amendments to get himself re-elected. Give me the ******* that is a great President over the good guy who screws the world every day. Of course, the ******* that screws the world is President now so of course we yearn for someone with even a modicum of character.

London'sBurning likes this.
  5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Bush's mistakes and their lingering effect simply exemplify the risk of electing someone like Trump; and pretty much belie their shared voters' desperation in watching their regressive social views marginalized by every other responsible public official. And while the hatred and small-mindedness behind their bigotry is nothing new, Bush's foreign policy choices are still bizarre and damaging. There is simply no reason for the United States to have a 750 billion - 1 trillion annual military spend and 5,000 combat deaths twenty-five years after the end of the Cold War.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The guy wasn't a great president. I think he was in over his head. He was smart, and I agree that his heart was probably always in the right place.

That being said, he is a million times better and preferable to Trump.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

He is the only Republican to win the popular vote out of the last five elections. yaaaay

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Bush was mediocre as President, in my opinion, except during the aftermath of 9/11. While I don't think he handled himself well while the horrible crisis was happening, he did a great job of rallying the nation for the inevitable war in Afghanistan, AQ's safe haven. Where he really went off the rails was during the 2nd Gulf War, a ruinous war that haunts this nation many years later. A war we didn't need that led directly to the chaos in the Middle East today. It's been bad there since at least WWII, when the colonial boundaries ended up being used to create countries that simply do not make any sense, but Gulf War II made us look weak and floundering, not a good look for the world's one remaining superpower (at least at the time). Maybe the Rightists will have a different opinion.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

You have to give him credit for a few things:
    1) His response after 9/11 was outstanding
    2) The great work he did in Africa - saved millions of lives battling AIDS

He was better than Obama by a long shot. Obama doesn't have anything that could touch either of the above.

Dark Rhino and cml750 like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

What do I think? He was not equipped to be President. Former employees said that he was often pushed around by Cheney and others.

I think in his heart he wanted to do what was right but at the end of the day he went along with and sometimes championed some horrible things. He was a bad President and did a lot of long term harm.

Reagan and Carter were likeable and good people when they were in office but they don’t get a pass and ultimately Bush shouldn’t either.

da_juice likes this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Problem wasn't Bush, the problem was the people he chose around him

Yung-T and B-Bob like this.
  12. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

He’s the reason I stopped identifying as a Republican, and in fact, took a turn toward the left. But boy do i miss him now. Or any of the previous presidents I’ve lived with.

Yung-T, London'sBurning and B-Bob like this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

An argument could be made for that. While Govenor of Texas, Bush largely let Bob Bullock, the Lt. Governor, run things. A smart move. My significant other worked with him some (as well as Bullock) and liked the guy. Didn't agree with all his politics, of course, far from it, but the man was a decent Governor of Texas. A good friend went to the same Methodist Church the Bushes attended in Tarrytown, a wealthy neighborhood in Austin, not far from downtown. He said he was a nice guy. My point being that apparently people liked him, and as long as competent folks surrounded him, Bush did a pretty good job. Bush was far from being a Bible thumper, if you know what I mean. Methodists are sort of tea sipping, cookie eating church goers. In general, nice people who don't try to cram their religion down your throat. Sadly, Bush picked poorly when he came to the White House.

B-Bob likes this.
  14. adoo

adoo Member

come on, how convenient to omit
    • the invasion of Iraq, under the false claim of WMD, claiming that the oil in Iraq will pay for the war
      • this war, longer than WW2 and Viet Nam War, has cost us close to a hundred trillion $, and still going
    • his ineptness drove the US economy into the ground, the first economic depression since FDR's time
      • in the waning months of his presidency, the US economy was losing > 100,000 jobs a month
    • his half-assed effort to bail out the financial industry failed miserably

As the POTUS, GWB was incompetent. But at least he was not a traitor like Trump

say what !

#14 adoo, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

He was the last Republican president I voted for and probably ever again. Decent man. Did lasting damages.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That post is completely unfair. You clearly have no clue as to my posting history. I made countless posts attacking the man's policies. I was against the 2nd Gulf War before it started, and said so here. Blah, blah, blah. No way am I going to revisit how much I hammered the guy. Oh, and I stand by my post.

basso likes this.
  17. adoo

adoo Member

just the facts.

btw, i forgot to mention his absence of leadership as demonstrate by his F***-up w the Katrina disaster;
    his infamous " atta boy, Brownie" comment

18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Ditto and also agree with original ATW post. He was a horrible president but a decent man. When our current so called "president" has us nostalgic for W then you know we made a bigly mistake.

Hakeemtheking and FranchiseBlade like this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You can really be dense from time to time.

cml750 likes this.
  20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

All due respect, Bush was far from mediocre. Bush Sr. was mediocre. Bush Jr. was a disaster for this country. We should not romanticize Bush Jr. because the new band of Republicans are know-nothing trolls.

ivanyy2000 and FranchiseBlade like this.